Characters By Number of Episodes

Travy1991

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think the "waste" referred to them being so wonderful actors and having quick deaths/bad scenes. They did a perfect job with what they had; but they could have done a better one with more hours or different storyline.

I understood what he meant, I just don't agree with it; for the most part, anyway. I do agree that the Dornish actresses weren't given the best material, but I enjoyed all the other performances. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really enjoyed Ciaran Hinds as Mance. His scenes in 4x10 and 5x01 are among my favorites.

I think he outlived his usefulness in the books and have no idea what other role he can play in the story.

Max von Sydrow and Natalie Tena completely owned their roles. I even enjoyed Alexander Siddig in his role as Doran and felt relieved that we finally got a ruler who only wanted what was best for his people and wanted no secret agenda. All of these actors/actresses helped bring the world I fell in love with to life, and I will always be grateful to them for that. Just one man's opinion.

22 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

I understood what he meant, I just don't agree with it; for the most part, anyway. I do agree that the Dornish actresses weren't given the best material, but I enjoyed all the other performances. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really enjoyed Ciaran Hinds as Mance. His scenes in 4x10 and 5x01 are among my favorites.

Reveal hidden contents

I think he outlived his usefulness in the books and have no idea what other role he can play in the story.

Max von Sydrow and Natalie Tena completely owned their roles. I even enjoyed Alexander Siddig in his role as Doran and felt relieved that we finally got a ruler who only wanted what was best for his people and wanted no secret agenda. All of these actors/actresses helped bring the world I fell in love with to life, and I will always be grateful to them for that. Just one man's opinion.

As Meera of Tarth said, I felt the actors are absolutely fantastic and did a wonderful job with such underwritten parts. In no way am I criticising von Sydow, Tena, Hinds, Siddig or any of the other actors. Each one of them were wonderfully cast and did an exemplary job of bringing their characters to life. Casting is never an issue with Game of Thrones.

But I feel like there's a lack of long-term planning when it comes to how they'll adapt characters for Game of Thrones. To me, it feels like the showrunners decided to add Dorne in Season 5 as an easy way to give Jaime and Bronn something to do, all culminating in the death of Myrcella at the hands of four two-dimensional, vengeful, exotic women. Then the show didn't know what to do with these characters in Season 6 so they offed Doran, Areo and Trystane in pathetic ways while presumably abandoning Ellaria and the Sand Snakes' storyline. I imagine if they do make an appearance, they'll be quickly killed off by Targaryens or Lannisters. Prove me wrong, show!

Doran was apparently not a good ruler because even his own household guard stood by and watched him bleed out when a group of bastards wiped out his centuries-old house (I know they're more liberal about bastards in Dorne but that would still be seen as a major sin within Westeros). The show portrayed Doran as a blasé ruler and Areo as nothing more than his loyal sidekick (to be fair, it's the same in the books). Trystane was viewed as similarly a weak and ineffective ruler as the Dornish are fine with Ellaria and the Sand Snakes ruling Dorne. The showrunners don't even care about the character because Nymeria flippantly calls Obara a "greedy bitch" for brutally murdering their cousin and it's played for laughs. This is a boy they've grown up with and presumably didn't want to kill before Oberyn's death. Ellaria was also trying to calm Oberyn's more violent tendencies in Season 4 but then has no issue carrying out even more brutal violence in the followings season. Now, you could say Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are mad with grief but the show doesn't depict this. It simply portrays Ellaria as the boss, Obara as the spear, Nymeria as the whip and Tyene as the daggers and the bad pussay! Doran is super laid back about everything, Areo protects the prince, Trystane takes after his father. Where is the nuance for these actors to play? None of them even get a decent speech!

It's not that the actors don't do the best with what they have, they more than exceed it. However, even with that, the roles are too underwritten to show the utmost nuance in the characters.

While nothing is quite as bad as Dorne, this has been the case across Season 6. Natalia Tena is fantastic as Osha, so much so that she's one of the rare actors to influence George's writing in future books. And what do the showrunners do on her return to the show...give her a non-speaking role in one episode and kill her off in the next episode in a seduction scene? We don't get to see Tena portray what her and Rickon went through in their two and a half seasons of screen. Roose Bolton, the man to take down the Starks? Surely, you'll give such a great and well performed villain some decent material before Ramsay kills him off?! Nope, McElhatton gets to once again chide Ramsay about an heir replacing him and then he's stabbed. Even his death is glossed over with a hand-wavey "Lord Bolton was poisoned by our enemies". Who are the Boltons enemies?! The show hasn't established who at this point, except for the Starks and Theon obviously!

Similarly, I don't understand why they bothered recasting Struan Rodger with a great actor like Max von Sydow if all the Three Eyed Raven was going to do is mournfully exposit information to Bran. An actor with von Sydow's talents is capable of delivering a more nuanced performance than what was written for him.

I also feel Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) and Nell Tiger Free (Myrcella Baratheon) were given a raw deal in terms of writing, with their characters rarely getting to do anything besides offer advice or play a plucky damsel. I understand the show is short on time and budget; and can't inject all the characters with the same nuance and depth that they have in the books but I've felt that the most recent deaths on the show have been lazy ass-pulls with little set-up and very little time given to establish characters, their quirks and motivations. So even though the actors are doing great work with the little they're given, they are not given enough solid material to show more character than the thin sketches. I get what you're saying - you should cast talented strong actors no matter how small the role. But the potential of these actors, quite frankly and in my opinion, is wasted. For a show with the popularity and long-term planning of Game of Thrones, there really is no excuse for the writers not to loosely sketch out where they need to go beyond the season they're working on.

P.S. I agree that the writers actually did a good job of writing Mance well in his final two episodes. Ciarán Hinds was marvellous and given good material to work with. However, I do feel he was given little to do prior - apart from his introductory scene, he had two brief walk-on parts and then wasn't seen again until the writers decided to have him arrested and killed off!

• 2 weeks later...

Another comparison between two episodes, this time with Season 6, Episode 7: "The Broken Man" and Season 6, Episode 8: "No One". Without further ado, here's the Top 10 for both episodes.

MAIN CHARACTERS:

Season 6, Episode 7: "The Broken Man"

1. Tyrion Lannister - 51/57 episodes
  2. Cersei Lannister - 50/57 episodes
  3. Jon Snow - 47/57 episodes
  4. Daenerys Targaryen  - 46/57 episodes
  5. Sansa Stark and Arya Stark - 45/57 episodes
  6. Jorah Mormont - 42/57 episodes
  7. Jaime Lannister - 41/57 episodes
  8. Theon Greyjoy and Samwell Tarly - 37/57 episodes
  9. Varys - 33/57 episodes
  10. Petyr Baelish - 32/57 episodes

Season 6, Episode 8: "No One"

1. Tyrion Lannister - 52/58 episodes
  2. Cersei Lannister - 51/58 episodes
  3. Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow  - 47/58 episodes
  4. Arya Stark  - 46/58 episodes
  5. Sansa Stark - 45/58 episodes
  6. Jaime Lannister and Jorah Mormont - 42/58 episodes
  7. Theon Greyjoy and Samwell Tarly - 37/58 episodes
  8. Varys - 33/58 episodes
  9. Brienne of Tarth and Petyr Baelish - 32/58 episodes
  10. Bran Stark and Sandor Clegane - 29/58 episodes

So as you can see, there are changes! This has been a funny old season as many main characters have had their episode counts reduced significantly this year. Jorah, Littlefinger and Sam have all been at least 5 episodes in previous seasons (Jorah's never been in less than 7!) and this year, they will only appear in 3 - 4 episodes (if even). As Taylor Swift said above me, no character will have a perfect 10 this year, they won't even have a 9!

As next week's episode seems to be taking place only around Winterfell (as seen in the preview); we should only see Jon, Sansa, Davos, Melisandre, Tormund, Ramsay and possibly Brienne and Littlefinger. At a big stretch, maybe The Hound and Arya too.. although I find those unlikely. Coming out on top this year in terms of episode count, we'll probably see Cersei, Jon, Jaime and Arya come out on top with 8 episodes a pop (provided Jon doesn't die again). Come to think of it, if Arya teleports to Winterfell in time for next episode, she might be the only character to make the 9 this season. Maisie Williams managed to mislead us into believing Arya was featured less this season so this could be a slight possibility.

RECURRING CHARACTERS AND ANIMALS:

Season 6, Episode 7: "The Broken Man"

1. Pycelle and Edd Tollett - 29/57 episodes
  2. Podrick Payne  - 26/57 episodes
  3. Barristan Selmy - 25/57 episodes
  4. Hodor - 23/57 episodes
  5. Grenn - 22/57 episodes
  6. Grey Worm - 21/57 episodes
  7. Loras Tyrell, Ghost and Alliser Thorne - 19/57 episodes 
  8. Meryn Trant - 18/57 episodes
  9. Olly - 17/57 episodes
  10. Drogon and Osha - 16/57 episodes

Season 6, Episode 8: "No One"

1. Pycelle - 30/58 episodes
  2. Edd Tollett - 29/58 episodes
  3. Podrick Payne  - 27/58 episodes
  4. Barristan Selmy - 25/58 episodes
  5. Hodor - 23/58 episodes
  6. Grey Worm and Grenn - 22/58 episodes
  7. Loras Tyrell, Ghost and Alliser Thorne - 19/58 episodes 
  8. Meryn Trant - 18/58 episodes
  9. Drogon and Olly - 17/58 episodes
  10. Osha - 16/58 episodes

Not a huge change in the recurring characters list. Pycelle reclaims his role as sole top recurring character while Grey Worm now appears in the same number of episodes as Grenn. Drogon now appears in the same number of episodes as Olly. I can't see the Top 10 changing much by the end of the season. Pycelle will probably close of with 31; Edd will remain at 29; Pod will probably join him in second place also with 29,  poor Barristan, Hodor and Grenn are no more. Grey Worm will probably tie with Hodor at 23 episodes. Loras and Ghost probably have another episode in them with 20 episodes. Drogon will likely join Meryn Trant with 18 episodes.

NEW ADDITIONS:

Under the Braavos section in Recurring Characters and Animals, you will now find Clarenzo (Play Joffrey), the late Lady Crane (Play Cersei), Izembaro (Play Tywin) and Bobono (Play Tyrion). As of 6x08: "No One", all four characters have appeared in 3 episodes of the series. Bear in mind that Izembaro and Bobono can only be heard offscreen in "No One".

DEPARTURES:

6x07: "The Broken Man" surprisingly gave us no deaths of main or recurring characters which was lovely! As already mentioned, I'm annoyed by the rushed way Benioff and Weiss are offing and cycling through characters. Granted, they could have kept Ian McShane around for pure awesomeness but he filled his one episode role well as Brother Ray.

6x08: "No One" gave us three underwhelming deaths: Lady Crane (who also just made the arrivals this week and had a very false dummy play the role of her corpse), The Waif (thank Christ, that character made no sense - Faye Marsay makes a great psychopath though) and Bryden Tully (this one got on my last nerve - I refuse to strike him off the list and we have no evidence of his death yet. Although why would the Lannister soldier lie? I just feel like the Blackfish was underutilised and this whole siege of Riverrun felt more like something the show needed to cross of the checklist instead of explore in any meaningful way. That said though, at least, they're bothering to wrap up storylines - no matter how many seasons too late).

Oh and welcome back, Beric and Thoros! It's not looking so good for Stoneheart anymore! :( Check out Lem's actor Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson's Twitter for an awesome video where he acts out the final chapter in Storm of Swords. Sadly, he was also underutilised.

Next week, if Ghost or Wun Wun die, I riot! And if Ramsay survives...the Bastard of Bolton better watch out! He hasn't seen me!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm late again with the episode updates. I'm not going to do individual update posts for the final two episodes of Season 6: "Battle of the Bastards" (6x09) and "The Winds of Winter" (6x10). Instead I'm going to do a comparison between all six fully complete seasons of Game of Thrones and take note of the evolution in the Top 10s as well as when characters were introduced.

So without further adieu!

SEASON ONE:

• Number of main characters INTRODUCED in Season 1 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show.): 
    19 (Bran, Jon, Robb, Ned, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Joffrey, Sandor, Robert, Tyrion, Daenerys, Viserys, Drogo, Jorah, Petyr)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals introduced in Season 1 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    40 (Varys, Sam, Bronn, Jeor, Bronn, Osha, Three Eyed Raven*, Hodor, Grenn, Ghost*, Summer*, Ros, Luwin, Rodrik, Rickon, Grey Wind*, Mordane, Yoren, Benjen, Jory, Greatjon, Rast, Lancel, Kevan, Janos, Pyp, Lysa, Marillion, Pycelle, Alliser, Myrcella, Aemon, Royal Steward, Barristan, Renly, Yoren, Doreah, Irri, Rakharo, Qotho)
  • Number of main characters killed off:
    4 (Viserys, Robert, Ned, Drogo)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals killed off:
    3 (Mordane, Jory, Qotho)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals ambiguously killed off:
    3 (Benjen, Marillion, Syrio)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals never seen again after Season 1:
    2 (Royal Steward, Greatjon)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1:

1. Cersei, Joffrey, Ned - 10/10 episodes (Only Ned's severed head appears in one episode)
  2. Tyrion, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Jorah, Theon, Catelyn, Drogo - 9/10 episodes
  3. Jon, Jaime, Petyr, Bran, Sandor, Robb - 8/10 episodes
  4. Robert - 7/10 episodes
  5. Viserys - 5/10 episodes

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1:

1. Rodrik - 9/10 episodes
  2. Pycelle, Irri - 8/10 episodes
  3. Varys, Luwin - 7/10 episodes
  4. Barristan, Grenn, Pyp, Doreah, Rakharo, Qotho, Mordane - 6/10 episodes
  5. Sam, Bronn, Jeor, Ghost*, Lancel, Hodor, Rast, Ros, Renly, Yoren, Jory  - 5/10 episodes
  6. Tywin, Tommen, Osha, Alliser, Myrcella, Marillion, Royal Steward -  4/10 episodes
  7. Benjen, Robin, Rickon, Kevan, Summer*, Three Eyed Raven*, Aemon, Janos, Lysa, Grey Wind*, Ilyn, Mirri, Greatjon, Syrio -  3/10 episodes

________________________________________________________________________________________

SEASON TWO:

• Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 1 that appear in Season 2 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal): 
    15 (Bran, Jon, Robb, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Joffrey, Sandor, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jorah, Petyr)
  • Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 1 who make a BRIEF POST-DEATH APPEARANCE in Season 2 (Main characters are characters whose actors appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show.): 
    1 (Drogo)
  • Number of main characters INTRODUCED in Season 2 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. ): 
    4 (Melisandre, Stannis, Davos, Margaery)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 1 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 2 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    4 (Sam, Bronn, Tywin, Jeor)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Season 1 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 2 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    1 (Shae)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 1 who appear in Season 2 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    21 (Osha, Hodor, Grenn, Ghost*, Summer*, Ros, Luwin, Rodrik, Rickon, Grey Wind*, Yoren, Lancel, Kevan, Ilyn, Janos, Pycelle, Myrcella, Renly, Doreah, Irri, Rakharo)
  • Number of recurring characters INTRODUCED in Season 2 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    24 (Brienne, Gilly, Roose, Ygritte, Jaqen, Talisa, Craster, Qhorin, Yara, Dagmer, Lorren, Edd, Podrick, Amory, Alton, Dontos, Rorge, Biter, Matthos, Daisy, Kovarro, Pyat, Spice King, Xaro)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Season 1 who have been UPGRADED TO RECURRING CHARACTER in Season 2 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    11 (Gendry, Shaggydog*, Timett, Gregor, Hot Pie, Armeca, Lommy, Loras, Meryn, Drogon*, Viserion*)
  • Number of main characters ambiguously killed off:
    1 (Davos)
    14 (Luwin, Rodrik, Yoren, Renly, Doreah, Irri, Rakharo, Qhorin, Amory, Alton, Matthos, Pyat, Spice King, Xaro)
    1 (Daisy)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals never seen again after Season 2:
    5 (Dagmer, Lorren, Ilyn, Armeca, Kovarro)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 2:

1. Tyrion, Cersei - 19/20 episodes
  2. Arya - 18/20 episodes
  3. Daenerys, Theon, Catelyn - 17/20 episodes
  4. Jon, Sansa, Jorah, Joffrey - 16/20 episodes
  5. Petyr, Bran - 15/20 episodes
  6. Robb - 14/20 episodes
  7. Varys, Sandor - 13/20 episodes
  8. Jaime, Bronn - 12/20 episodes
  9. Sam - 11/20 episodes
  10. Drogo, Ned - 10/20 episodes (Only Ned's severed head appears in one episode)

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 2:

1. Pycelle - 14/20 episodes
  2. Irri - 13/20 episodes
  3. Hodor, Rodrik - 12/20 episodes
  4. Grenn, Doreah - 11/20 episodes
  5. Osha, Ros  - 10/20 episodes
  6. Gendry -  9/20 episodes
  7. Tommen, Ghost*, Rickon, Summer*, Myrcella, Hot Pie, Renly -  8/20 episodes
  8. Brienne, Kovarro, Rakharo  -  7/20 episodes
  9. Janos, Loras  -  6/20 episodes
  10. Talisa, Shaggydog*, Grey Wind*, Dagmer, Edd, Gregor, Meryn, Drogon*, Viserion*  -  5/20 episodes

________________________________________________________________________________________

SEASON THREE:

• Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 2 that appear in Season 3 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal): 
    25 (Bran, Jon, Robb, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Joffrey, Sandor, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jorah, Petyr, Sam, Varys, Bronn, Tywin, Shae, Jeor, Melisandre, Stannis, Davos, Margaery)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 2 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 3 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    3 (Gendry, Ygritte, Talisa)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Seasons 1 - 2 who appear in Season 3 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    27 (Brienne, Gilly, Roose, Osha, Three Eyed Raven*, Craster, Hodor, Grenn, Ghost*, Summer*, Ros, Rickon, Grey Wind*, Yara, Pycelle, Shaggydog*, Yara, Edd, Podrick, Pyp, Hot Pie, Aemon, Loras, Barristan, Meryn, Drogon*, Viserion*)
  • Number of recurring characters INTRODUCED in Season 3 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    19 (Missandei, Tormund, Daario, Tormund, Ramsay, Little Sam, Orell, Mance, Meera, Jojen, Locke, Qyburn, Edmure, Brynden, Olenna, Thoros, Kraznys, Grey Worm, Anguy)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Seasons 1 - 2 who have been UPGRADED TO RECURRING CHARACTER in Season 3 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    6 (Lord of Bones, Balon, Walder Frey, Marei, Beric, Rhaegal)
    (Jeor, Talisa, Robb, Catelyn)
  • Number of main characters never seen again after Season 3:
    1 (Gendry)
  • Number of recurring characters never seen again after Season 3:
    1 (Anguy)
  • Number of main characters who we may have thought had been killed off in the previous season but are thankfully alive:
    1 (Davos)
    5 (Craster, Ros, Grey Wind*, Orell, Kraznys)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 3:

1. Tyrion - 28/30 episodes
  2. Cersei, Arya - 27/30 episodes
  3. Daenerys, Catelyn - 25/30 episodes
  4. Jon, Sansa, Jorah - 24/30 episodes
  5. Theon, Joffrey - 23/30 episodes
  6. Robb - 22/30 episodes
  7. Bran, Sandor - 21/30 episodes
  8. Jaime, Sam, Petyr, Tywin - 19/30 episodes
  9. Varys - 18/20 episodes
  10. Gendry - 17/30 episodes

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 3:

1. Hodor - 17/30 episodes
  2. Pycelle - 16/30 episodes
  3. Grenn - 15/30 episodes
  4. Brienne, Osha, Barristan, Ros  - 14/30 episodes
  5. Irri - 13/30 episodes
  6. Rickon, Rodrik - 12/30 episodes
  7. Loras, Summer*, Doreah - 11/30 episodes
  8. Ghost, Hot Pie, Rast - 10/30 episodes
  9. Edd, Podrick, Drogon*, Viserion - 9/30 episodes
  10. Tommen, Myrcella, Renly -  8/30 episodes

SEASON FOUR:

• Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 3 that appear in Season 4 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal): 
    23 (Bran, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Joffrey, Sandor, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jorah, Petyr, Sam, Varys, Bronn, Tywin, Shae, Melisandre, Stannis, Davos, Margaery, Ygritte)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 3 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 4 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    4 (Tormund, Brienne, Ramsay, Gilly)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Seasons 1 - 3 who appear in Season 4 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    41 (Missandei, Tommen, Daario, Roose, Little Sam, Three Eyed Raven, Mance, Craster, Hodor, Grenn, Ghost*, Summer*, Meera, Jojen, Locke, Yara, Edd, Rast, Podrick, Gregor, Janos, Qyburn, Pyp, Lysa, Pycelle, Alliser, Hot Pie, Aemon, Robin, Marei, Dontos, Rorge, Biter, Loras, Olenna, Barristan, Meryn, Drogon*, Viserion*, Rhaegal*, Grey Worm)
  • Number of recurring characters INTRODUCED in Season 4 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    7 (Ellaria, Styr, Thenn Warg, Othell, Olly, Mace, Oberyn)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Seasons 1 - 3 who have been UPGRADED TO RECURRING CHARACTER in Season 4 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    8 (Myranda, Shireen, Olyvar, High Septon After King's Landing Riot, Karl, Selyse, Salladhor, Polliver)
    4 (Joffrey, Ygritte, Shae, Tywin)
  • Number of main characters who have been ambiguously killed off:
    1 (Sandor)
    9 (Styr, Thenn Warg, Grenn, Jojen, Locke, Rast, Pyp, Karl, Oberyn)
    1 (Gregor)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals never seen again after Season 4:
    1 (Salladhor)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 4:

1. Tyrion, Cersei - 36/40 episodes
  2. Daenerys, Arya - 33/40 episodes
  3. Jon - 32/40 episodes
  4. Sansa, Jorah - 31/40 episodes
  5. Jaime - 28/40 episodes
  6. Sandor, Tywin - 27/40 episodes
  7. Sam, Theon, Joffrey - 26/40 episodes
  8. Bran, Catelyn - 25/40 episodes
  9. Varys, Petyr - 24/40 episodes
  10. Robb - 22/40 episodes

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 4:

1. Pycelle, Grenn - 22/40 episodes
  2. Hodor, Barristan - 21/40 episodes
  3. Podrick, Edd, Loras - 16/40 episodes
  4. Missandei - 15/40 episodes
  5. Ghost*, Summer*, Osha, Ros, Luwin - 14/40 episodes
  6. Tommen, Roose, Pyp, Irri - 13/40 episodes
  7. Grey Worm, Rickon, Meryn, Janos, Rast, Rodrik - 12/40 episodes
  8. Drogon*, Viserion*, Hot Pie,  Doreah - 11/40 episodes
  9. Jojen - 10/40 episodes
  10. Olenna, Meera, Alliser, Grey Wind* -  9/40 episodes

SEASON FIVE:

• Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 4 that appear in Season 5 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal): 
    21 (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jorah, Petyr, Sam, Varys, Bronn, Melisandre, Stannis, Davos, Margaery, Brienne, Tormund, Ramsay, Gilly)
  • Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 4 who make a BRIEF POST-DEATH APPEARANCE in Season 5 (Main characters are characters whose actors appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show.): 
    1 (Tywin)
  • Number of main characters who DEFINITELY SURVIVED Season 4 and are absent from Season 5 (Main characters are characters whose actors appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show.): 
    1 (Bran)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 4 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 5 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    5 (Missandei, Daario, Ellaria, Tommen, Roose)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 2 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 5 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    1 (Jaqen)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Seasons 1 - 5 who appear in Season 5 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    32 (Little Sam, Mance, Ghost*, Lord of Bones, Olly, Myranda, Edd, Podrick, Othell, Gregor, Lancel, Kevan, Janos, Qyburn, Pycelle, Alliser, Myrcella, Aemon, Robin, Shireen, Marei, Olyvar, High Septon After King's Landing, Loras, Olenna, Mace, Selyse, Barristan, Meryn, Drogon*, Viserion*, Rhaegal*, Grey Worm)
  • Number of recurring characters INTRODUCED in Season 5 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
  • 11 (High Sparrow, Bowen, Old Woman, Unella, Obara, Nymeria, Tyene, Trystane, Doran, Areo, The Waif)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Seasons 1 - 4 who have been UPGRADED TO RECURRING CHARACTER in Season 4 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    3 (The Night's King, Lhara, Hizdahr)
  • Number of main characters who have been ambiguously killed off:
    2 (Stannis, Jon)
    10 (Mance, Lord of Bones, Myranda, Janos, Aemon, Shireen, Selyse, Barristan, Meryn, Old Woman, Hizdahr)
  • Number of recurring characters who were ambiguously killed off in Season 5:
    1 (Myrcella)
  • Number of recurring characters and animals never seen again after Season 5:
    3 (Olyvar, High Septon After King's Landing, Lhara)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 5:

1. Tyrion - 46/50 episodes
  2. Cersei - 44/50 episodes
  3. Daenerys, Jon - 41/50 episodes
  4. Sansa - 40/50 episodes
  5. Jorah, Arya - 39/50 episodes
  6. Sam, Jaime - 35/50 episodes
  7. Theon - 32/50 episodes
  8. Petyr - 30/50 episodes
  9. Varys - 28/50 episodes
  10. Brienne, Tywin, Sandor - 27/50 episodes

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 5:

1. Pycelle - 27/50 episodes
  2. Barristan - 25/50 episodes
  3. Edd - 24/50 episodes
  4. Podrick, Grenn - 22/50 episodes
  5. Hodor - 21/50 episodes
  6. Meryn, Loras - 18/50 episodes
  7. Grey Worm - 17/50 episodes
  8. Alliser, Ghost* - 16/50 episodes
  9. Janos, Drogon* - 15/50 episodes
  10. Ros, Olly, Luwin, Osha, Summer* - 14/50 episodes

SEASON SIX:

• Number of RETURNING main characters from Season 5 that appear in Season 6 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal): 
    26 (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jorah, Petyr, Sam, Varys, Bronn, Melisandre, Davos, Margaery, Brienne, Tormund, Ramsay, Gilly, Missandei, Daario, Tommen, Roose, Ellaria, Jaqen)
  • Number of main characters who were absent from Season 5 but return as main characters in Season 6 (Main characters are characters whose actors appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show.): 
    2 (Bran, Sandor)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Season 5 who have been UPGRADED TO MAIN CHARACTER in Season 6 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    1 (High Sparrow)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Seasons 1 - 5 who appear in Season 6 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    44 (Osha, Little Sam, Three Eyed Raven, Hodor, Ghost*, Olly, Rickon, Summer*, Shaggydog*, Meera, Yara, Balon, Edd, Podrick, Othell, Bowen, Gregor, Lancel, Kevan, Qyburn, Edmure, Brynden,  Walder Frey, Pycelle, Alliser, Unella, Robin, Marei, Loras, Olenna, Mace, Beric, Drogon*, Viserion*, Rhaegal*, Grey Worm, The Waif, Obara, Nymeria, Tyene, Trystane, Doran, Areo, The Night's King, Thoros)
  • Number of RETURNING main characters from Seasons 1 - 5 who make a brief POST-DEATH APPEARANCE in Season 6 (Main characters are characters whose actors have appeared in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    1 (Ned)
  • Number of RETURNING recurring characters from Seasons 1 - 5 who make a brief POST-DEATH APPEARANCE in Season 6 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    3 (Myranda, Myrcella, Rodrik)
  • Number of recurring characters INTRODUCED in Season 6 (Recurring characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Recurring characters and animals must be in at least three episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
  • 7 (Lyanna Stark, Lyanna Mormont, Harald, Clarenzo, Lady Crane, Izembaro, Bobono)
  • Number of RETURNING guest characters from Seasons 1 - 5 who have been UPGRADED TO RECURRING CHARACTER in Season 6 (Guest characters and animals are characters whose actors do not appear in the opening credits or are described as 'Also Starring' in closing credits. Guest characters and animals must be in two or less episodes. Archive footage or recordings do not count as a new appearance nor does external materials identifying characters, which is then later contradicted by the show. Asterix means character is animal):
    9 (Wun Wun, Leaf, Nan, Wolkan, Yohn, Walder Rivers, Lothar, Yezzan, Razdal)
  • Number of main characters from previous season who were resurrected after being killed off previous seasons:
    1 (Jon)
  • Number of main characters from previous season who were confirmed as killed off in Season 6:
    1 (Stannis)
  • Number of main characters from previous season who were resurrected after being killed off in previous seasons:
    1 (Benjen)
  • Number of recurring characters from previous season who were confirmed as killed off in Season 6:
    2 (Myrcella, Greatjon)
  • Number of main characters killed off:
    5 (Roose, Ramsay, Margaery, High Sparrow, Tommen)
    26 (Osha, Three Eyed Raven, Hodor, Olly, Rickon, Summer, Shaggydog, Balon, Othell, Bowen, Lancel, Kevan, Brynden, Walder Frey, Pycelle, Alliser, Mace, The Waif, Trystane, Doran, Areo, Lady Crane, Wun Wun, Leaf, Walder Rivers, Lothar, Razdal)
  • Number of recurring characters who were ambiguously killed off in Season 6:
    2 (Unella, Harald)
  • Number of recurring characters we'll probably never see again:
    1 (Wolkan)

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 6:

1. Tyrion - 54/60 episodes
  2. Cersei - 52/60 episodes
  3. Daenerys, Jon - 49/60 episodes
  4. Sansa, Arya - 47/60 episodes
  5. Jaime - 43/60 episodes
  6. Jorah - 42/60 episodes
  7. Theon - 39/60 episodes
  8. Sam - 38/60 episodes
  9. Varys - 35/60 episodes
  10. Petyr - 34/60 episodes

Top 10 Recurring Characters and Animals - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 6:

1. Pycelle - 31/60 episodes
  2. Edd - 29/60 episodes
  3. Podrick  - 27/60 episodes
  4. Barristan - 25/58 episodes
  5. Grey Worm - 24/60 episodes
  6. Hodor - 23/60 episodes
  7. Grenn - 22/60 episodes
  8. Loras 20/60 episodes
  9. Drogon*, Ghost*, Alliser  - 19/58 episodes 
  10. Meryn - 18/58 episodes

Amazing job, really well done. I just noticed one mistake, however. 

Top 10 Main Characters - Total Number of Episodes - Season 1 - 6:

1. Tyrion - 54/60 episodes
  2. Cersei - 52/60 episodes
  3. Daenerys, Jon - 49/60 episodes
  4. Sansa, Arya - 47/60 episodes
  5. Jaime - 43/60 episodes
  6. Jorah - 42/60 episodes
  7. Theon - 39/60 episodes
  8. Theon - 38/60 episodes
  9. Varys - 35/60 episodes
  10. Petyr - 34/60 episodes

Theon is listed twice.