Melisandre, Mother of Bloodraven and Heroine of the Others

jamprab

I have a theory I would like some feedback on.  Now that we are certain Melisandre is much older than she appeared, we can make more educated guesses regarding her past.  Bloodraven's mother was named Melissa Blackwood, and Bloodraven is the bastard son of Aegon the Unworthy..  My theory is Melisandre is Bloodraven's mother Melissa Blackwood.  Of Aegon's mistresses only Melissa's post-affair life (or death) is a complete mystery.  The timeline could make sense, both can use dark magic and both have lived far longer than most in Westeros.

Melisandre is known as the best interpreter of visions in her religion, yet she has misinterpreted several visions in the last few books/seasons.  What if she didn't misinterpret them, but simply lied about their meaning?  She showed Stannis a great battle in the snow, but she failed to mention he would die there.  She told him he was the Prince that was Promised, yet she never counseled compromise to unite the people of Westeros against the true enemy.  Stannis also happened to be the perfect man for her to use to divide Westeros since he was unyielding to his notions of the rules of the world, even if that meant thousands of soldiers who could have fought the Others would die.  It also seems odd that she abandoned her Prince that was Promised shortly after meeting Jon Snow.  She then restarted her pattern of manipulation with Jon, attempting to sway him with visions in the same manner.

Melisandre has said before that she is "good" and on the side of light, but the side of light is something an individual interprets according to their beliefs.  Her actions show her side of light does not value the survival of the people of Westeros.  Throughout the series Melisandre mentions The Long Night That Never Ends.  The White Walkers have not been seen since their defeat thousands of years ago and they were driven into a land of eternal winter.  Is it possible she is trying to prevent the continuation of THEIR Long Night?

As for Brynden Rivers/Bloodraven, I cannot pretend to understand his intentions, but I don't think the fact that his nickname and Melisandre's (The Red Woman)  both reflect the same color is a coincidence.  As for Melisandre's vision, the text states "a wooden face, corpse white, was this the enemy?  A thousand red eyes floating in the rising flames."  She then sees a boy with a wolf's head howling.  The boy seems a clear reference to Bran, but Bloodraven is consistently referred to as controlling 1001 eyes.  If she could clearly distinguish exactly 1,000 how did she miss the extra one?.  Weirwood trees are white.  She could have simply seen one of the faces carved in the trees and Bran.  Bran could be the enemy because he is on the side of men. (Bran is Azor Azai?)  Bloodraven could be, like Melisandre, a traitor trying to deceive the Children and Bran.

Any thoughts on this theory, either for or against, would be appreciated.

Bloodraven warged a male direwolf to impregnate the female direwolf with Ghost, one of a litter of pups born as gifts from the gods for the Stark children.

BR and Ghost are connected by blood - and Ghost, like Jon, is both ice and fire.  When Jon returns, Ghost will be Jon's "ice dragon".

20 hours ago, jamprab said:

I have a theory I would like some feedback on.

Any thoughts on this theory, either for or against, would be appreciated.

Well, since the show has gone very far off the book rails, anything is possible. Shiera has not been mentioned, and neither has bloodraven's deeds or his history in the seven kingdoms. According to watchersonthewall.com, Ms. Van-Houten has said that Mel is at least two centuries old. at the start of season 2.  Since there has been no history, I cannot see how a reveal like that would do any good for the show. But then again, there was nary a mention of Rhaegar after season 1 until season 4. 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

Well, since the show has gone very far off the book rails, anything is possible. Shiera has not been mentioned, and neither has bloodraven's deeds or his history in the seven kingdoms. According to watchersonthewall.com, Ms. Van-Houten has said that Mel is at least two centuries old. at the start of season 2.  Since there has been no history, I cannot see how a reveal like that would do any good for the show. But then again, there was nary a mention of Rhaegar after season 1 until season 4. 

Just my two cents, but the revelation was done so that the viewers are made aware of hat readers know:  Mel has the power to create a glamor; hence, she will glamor "someone" to look like Jon Snow. My guess is Edd.

Now - viewers may not even know until later that the revived JS is really a glamored "Edd".

Meanwhile, Jon via Ghost will hook up with Bran for a purpose, and the real resurrection will happen later - and probably at Winterfell!

15 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

Just my two cents, but the revelation was done so that the viewers are made aware of hat readers know:  Mel has the power to create a glamor; hence, she will glamor "someone" to look like Jon Snow. My guess is Edd.

Now - viewers may not even know until later that the revived JS is really a glamored "Edd".

Meanwhile, Jon via Ghost will hook up with Bran for a purpose, and the real resurrection will happen later - and probably at Winterfell!

Interesting Idea, but I doubt it. The resurrection has to happen before his corpse rots. When we see it before with Beric, he is brought back as soon as he is killed. 

3 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

Interesting Idea, but I doubt it. The resurrection has to happen before his corpse rots. When we see it before with Beric, he is brought back as soon as he is killed. 

That's why JS will be put on ice until transport to the WF crypts.  Or maybe he will be on ice in the cells and be resurrected at the Wall.

Bran [Issaac] said in an interview he will be a "kingmaker".  I think the king will be JS - ???:o  Who else?

Just now, evita mgfs said:

That's why JS will be put on ice until transport to the WF crypts.  Or maybe he will be on ice in the cells and be resurrected at the Wall.

Bran [Issaac] said in an interview he will be a "kingmaker".  I think the king will be JS - ???:o  Who else?

Rickon

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

Rickon

Good answer - but I don't think Bran loved Rickon in the same way he did Jon Snow.

Moreover, [book stuff[ before Jon left for the Wall, he kissed Bran's lips - which seemed symbolic to me at the time.  Now Bran has the power to give Jon the kiss of life.

8 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

Good answer - but I don't think Bran loved Rickon in the same way he did Jon Snow.

Moreover, [book stuff[ before Jon left for the Wall, he kissed Bran's lips - which seemed symbolic to me at the time.  Now Bran has the power to give Jon the kiss of life.

Book stuff means virtually nothing. Jaime wasn't jealous of a gay Loras marrying cersei. Barristan is still alive. Jorah does not have greyscale. Cersei never got raped by her brother after Joff died. Bronn never went to Dorne. Eliara Sand wanted peace, to honor her Lover's death and to prevent her children from dying like their father did. Book and show are far different. there is no Dawn in the show. The TOJ fight pics leaked show a knight fighting an young eddard with two swords before he gets run through by a howland reed looking dude.  
Bran is also very far north with lots of wights between him and Jon. He won't be kissing anyone after being stuck in a tree 

12 hours ago, naik2902 said:

shiera seastar. she was described as heartshape face and full breast. or may be she could be her mother serenie.

I've heard this theory, but I think mine has more relevance.  Check out the link I've added below, specifically the Blackwood family tree.  Melissa Blackwood has a relative named Melantha Blackwood, who eventually marries a Stark.  "Melony, Lot 7" is the thought that haunts Melisandre, and she definitely is interested in Starks.  I think Melantha is the Melony Melisandre muses about  (say that five times fast).  Lot 7 could be a reference to the North, which geographically would be the 7th kingdom.

https://m.westeros.org/index.php/House_Blackwood

Can't really buy into the theory at the moment. But I am sure Mel will be *someone*, otherwise yesterdays reveal would have been pointless.

I agree that she used Stannis and does not show much interest in the survival of Westeros people. Yet what her true motivation is, I am still unsure about.

9 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

He really said that? Where?

Dorian Martell

Rickon will end up like Myrcella. Ramsey gets a gift in the episode 3, his voice in the railer "do you like games little man" who else than Rickon and Umbers could easily bertray them as Starks because tscrew logic. Greatjon was not part of Red Wedding on the show means no leverage for Freys and Boltons. Karstarks makes sense given what Robb did. Also read couple of spoilers that Rickon is part of big event in a way. Jon and Sansa will take a center stage.

10 hours ago, jamprab said:

I've heard this theory, but I think mine has more relevance.  Check out the link I've added below, specifically the Blackwood family tree.  Melissa Blackwood has a relative named Melantha Blackwood, who eventually marries a Stark.  "Melony, Lot 7" is the thought that haunts Melisandre, and she definitely is interested in Starks.  I think Melantha is the Melony Melisandre muses about  (say that five times fast).  Lot 7 could be a reference to the North, which geographically would be the 7th kingdom.

https://m.westeros.org/index.php/House_Blackwood

Obviously Melisandre is actually Melissa, Melantha, and Melony.  In fact any woman throughout history whose name starts with Mel is actually our Mel.  She merely uses glamours as necessary to fit the role.  Thus Mel is not just Bloodraven's mother but also Ned's great grandmother.

7 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Dorian Martell

Rickon will end up like Myrcella. Ramsey gets a gift in the episode 3, his voice in the railer "do you like games little man" who else than Rickon and Umbers could easily bertray them as Starks because tscrew logic. Greatjon was not part of Red Wedding on the show means no leverage for Freys and Boltons. Karstarks makes sense given what Robb did. Also read couple of spoilers that Rickon is part of big event in a way. Jon and Sansa will take a center stage.

since we haven't seen rickon in quite some time, we have no idea how he will end up. He may die, but I think it is far more likely that he will end up ruling winterfell 

7 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

"And it looks like we are going to see a lot of Bran in Season 6: the young Isaac Hempstead Wright offers these tantalizing glimpses during his PR rounds: “I can’t say a lot, but I am back this season and it’s going to get particularly interesting with Bran. He has some interesting visions.” In another interview Hempstead hints at Bran taking on the role of “kingmaker,” to “expect lots of magic,” and “extraordinary enabling abilities” that could cause an “earthquake” in Westeros. What kind of earthquake? Hempstead doesn’t say"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-6-bran-stark-confirms-return-and-weighs-in-on-the-jon-snow-debate-10386913.html

23 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

Obviously Melisandre is actually Melissa, Melantha, and Melony.  In fact any woman throughout history whose name starts with Mel is actually our Mel.  She merely uses glamours as necessary to fit the role.  Thus Mel is not just Bloodraven's mother but also Ned's great grandmother.

Thank you so much! All of a sudden this Shiera Seastar and any other woman in history is coming up as Mel or her mom or daughter or lover.

Archived