Question about Dornish Succession in the show

Ok, so I know in the books Doran has multiple children that seem to be cut from the series in Arianne and Quentyn.  In the books his wife is alive but living in Norvos.  So assuming that none of those people exist in the show universe, who takes under Dornish Law?

I know women and men have the same standing, but what about bastards?

Would the other noble houses (like Yronwood) allow the sandsnakes to claim Dorne after a kinslaying their uncle?

Let me know, because I found the sandsnake coup bizarre.

Ellaria will rule as an Usurper. If someone tells her that she is a murderer and she can't be a Princess she will respond by saying she has the SS to kill anyone who doesn't like her.

And the SS are good at teleporting (like LF) so better shut up.....

The faces of Doran's guards are priceless....

Dorne is sooooo liberal, they love bastards and murderers. Social mobility, fellows!

Ah, and also, Oberyn was sleeping with men.

Well, the guards were like 'ah, whatever', maybe the rest of the country has the same attitude.

And have we mentioned that Oberyn was shagging men?

My theory is that no one will know Doran is dead. He never leaves the Water Gardens anyway, no one but Aero ever saw him. No one will notice that he's suddenly not around because he never was around. 

Ellaria clearly had the support of the guards when she assassinated  Doran, so they won't snitch on her. To the common Dornish, nothing will change. Except when "Prince Doran" orders something, it's actually Ellaria Sand. 

Thats just what I think anyway. 

My theory is that no one will know Doran is dead. He never leaves the Water Gardens anyway, no one but Aero ever saw him. No one will notice that he's suddenly not around because he never was around. 

Ellaria clearly had the support of the guards when she assassinated  Doran, so they won't snitch on her. To the common Dornish, nothing will change. Except when "Prince Doran" orders something, it's actually Ellaria Sand. 

Thats just what I think anyway. 

6 hours ago, Miley the Monstrous said:

Since there are no trueborn Martells left, the person with the strongest claim to Sunspear is...Obara. shudders

Not that I think the show still cares about lines of succession or things like that. Ellaria sat in Doran's chair, Ellaria rules. 

Anyone with blood ties to the Martells should be trying to claim Dorne right now.

It'd be idiotic if nothing happened 

Well, if we go strictly by law, I think King Tommen is supposed to name a new ruling house in Dorne just as the Boltons were decreed rulers of the North when the Stark line had officially ended. (Sansa had already become a Lannister by marriage)

Dan and Dave seem to find the concept of succession in the feudal system hard to understand. "In the name of Renly the rightful king." A bastard and her three kinslaying bastards take Dorne without one Noble house being like "Fuck this shit."

2 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Dan and Dave seem to find the concept of succession in the feudal system hard to understand. "In the name of Renly the rightful king." A bastard and her three kinslaying bastards take Dorne without one Noble house being like "Fuck this shit."

THE SHOW IS NOT THE BOOKS.

You are trying too hard to apply the books logic, but you can't. We have seen nothing about any noble house in Dorne. They won't show up now, they probably don't exist in the show. Ellaria somehow (no clue how) got the guards on her side, she will rule now.

1 hour ago, Fearodh said:

You are trying too hard to apply the books logic, but you can't. We have seen nothing about any noble house in Dorne. They won't show up now, they probably don't exist in the show. Ellaria somehow (no clue how) got the guards on her side, she will rule now.

Just because something isn't seen on the show, does not mean it does not exist. I know in D&D's version of Dorne, there are only about 15 people living there, but anyone with any common sense would have to know that there are other noble houses and people who would likely take an interest in who the new ruling leader will be.

But again, this is D&D. The same people who oversee the opening credits of the show with the "city" of Dorne on the map. Because show watchers' minds would explode if Sunspear was mentioned. Too much knowledge to retain. That would be like zooming in on Winterfell and titling it on the map "The North"

So to the original point, since only Dorne is in Dorne, Faullaria and her Teenage Mutant Ninja Sandsnakes will rule.

1 hour ago, Fearodh said:

See, that is the problem. Dorne is meant to be a very important realm in Westeros. They even get a seat in the small council in KL. However, the show reduced Dorne to half a dozen guards, water gardens and some desert. There are no immersion whatsoever. Right now, there are so many offscreen things happening (such as Ellaria winning the guards, Sand Snakes getting in Trystane's boat) which keeps damaging the show credibility to a point of where you don't have to pay close attention to details anymore, since they will come off with an offscreen explanation of how things got possible. Not to mention the poor dialogues (Greedy bitch, etc) and acting.

4 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Well, if we go strictly by law, I think King Tommen is supposed to name a new ruling house in Dorne just as the Boltons were decreed rulers of the North when the Stark line had officially ended. (Sansa had already become a Lannister by marriage)

Probably this.  But Tommen is somewhere drooling in a corner.

Ellaria is in charge until someone kills her.

3 hours ago, Fearodh said:

The other houses do exist in the show, when Tyrion tried to meet Oberyn with a welcoming party at KL, Pod identified like 5 or 6 Dornish houses in the show that supported (as far as we know) the Martells.  I only remember House Dalt with the lemons, the Blackmonts, and the Ullers, but other houses were definitely mentioned in the show. 

I do get your larger point that this is the show not the books, but there is no way not to do this without at least a little crossover.

8 hours ago, Ruhail said:

? I'm sure lots of Renly supporters (and Renly himself) thought of him as the rightful king, as their standard was less about birthrights and more about who was more fit to rule. 

Archived