Be Honest! How many of your own theories ever played out?

episodenone

As someone who posts on the Jedi Council forums for years and have read 100s upon 100s of theories -- and have made my own as well -- I was wondering about this.

Similarly - on the forums for the Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica I noticed the same -- and I am sure it's the case on any fan site.

First allow me to admit that the vast majority of any theory I have ever either A: thought of myself or B: agreed with someone elses have more or less Never or Rarely come true - even the broader details.

So I started wondering -- as one incredibly prevalent and overarching thing has become quite obvious to me on these boards -- people post with near 100% Certainty and do so in incredible detail about what will happen in both the show and the books. [FTR I am up to date on both]  I see lots of bickering about people's theories and the proof that is often used to debunk others is almost always based on unproven "facts" taken to be already proven -- which is kwazy to me in a series where the unexpected is the norm.

So I was just curious -- and hopefully we can do it in a fun way -- post some of our best pet theories that either completely seem silly now -- or even take a victory lap if you truly feel you nailed something.

But in general - would you say you are never / rarely / sometimes / often / always right about your theories / predictions?

In general? Pretty often, not often enough for me to become a fortune teller. 

But I also develop a backup theory. So far this year, only the Flash's Zoom has gotten away from me. Both my theories failed there. 

On the show? Not as good of a track record. Books, a little better. 

Silliest theory show wise, Areo Hotah's race change was a small hint to Trystane being Aegon. If the show Norvosi were black, then Doran's wife being Norvosi and Trystane being so light skinned may have hinted that he isn't really Doran's son with her, but Aegon hiding in plain sight. 

One that just got screwed is Varys being behind the Harpys as a means to push Dany west. But I doubt he'd commission the burning of her fleet. Dario is now suspect. 

I predicted after the second trailer came out that Deadpan would deadpan her way through her sexual humiliation at the hands of Jhaqo to show how super empowered she is.  Jhaqo doesn't seem to be on the show, but her whole first episode consisted of nothing but non-stop threats to rape her and she deadpanned her way through it as only Deadpan can.  She's so tough I can't stand it.

Over five years before it was revealed in ADwD, I theorized that the Three-Eyed Crow was Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers.  *buffs nails on shirt* :D

But that's about the only "major" theory I've had confirmed (although I have a few others that are still up in the air, of course). 

ETA: Oops!  I forgot some more about Melisandre: 

Spoiler

Years before ADwD I theorized that Melisandre was not all that she seemed because of the fake Lightbringer and the fact that she looks exactly like what a Red Priestess would choose to look like if she could.  I also theorize that Melisandre has received the Kiss of Fire (i.e. been resurrected with sorcery) and also, while reading ADwD, I absolutely knew she was much older than she appears.

12 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Over five years before it was revealed in ADwD, I theorized that the Three-Eyed Crow was Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers.  *buffs nails on shirt* :D

But that's about the only "major" theory I've had confirmed (although I have a few others that are still up in the air, of course). 

ETA: Oops!  I forgot some more about Melisandre: 

Reveal hidden contents

Years before ADwD I theorized that Melisandre was not all that she seemed because of the fake Lightbringer and the fact that she looks exactly like what a Red Priestess would choose to look like if she could.  I also theorize that Melisandre has received the Kiss of Fire (i.e. been resurrected with sorcery) and also, while reading ADwD, I absolutely knew she was much older than she appears.

I remember the Bloodraven prediction -- but at the time I had not read Dunk and Egg yet [that is where he came from, right?] so I didn't really have a thought on that one -- put definitely props go to you for that.

As for Melisandre -- I think her visions are still quite plausible -- just that she might have misread timing and not included other factors or something or other -- and she is so ripe for theories and speculation.

Interesting about Varys being behind the Harpy's -- I was shocked when he popped up next to Tyrion.  The 2 of them running anything together should be incredibly formidable.

39 minutes ago, episodenone said:

As for Melisandre -- I think her visions are still quite plausible -- just that she might have misread timing and not included other factors or something or other -- and she is so ripe for theories and speculation.

Interesting about Varys being behind the Harpy's -- I was shocked when he popped up next to Tyrion.  The 2 of them running anything together should be incredibly formidable.

Agree on both.

Mel is full doubt herself right now I think but I think her visions will ultimately be proven accurate.

Varys is pulling all the strings in the south and probably has been for a while.

19 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

What was this based off, out of curiosity? Is there a thread I can read about it?

1 hour ago, Neptunium said:

What was this based off, out of curiosity? Is there a thread I can read about it?

My thinking was really as simple as, in my opinion at the time, just picking up on what I thought Martin was suggesting to readers with the symbolism of the "Three-Eyed Crow".

I knew that a member of the Night's Watch is known as a "crow" and a euphemism for having magical ability is "opening one's 'third eye'".  From there I just thought: who was the only member of the Night's Watch that we've been told was also rumored to be a sorceror?

You guessed it, Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers;)

Now, I doubt any of those threads are still around because they would be over ten years old.  Also, many threads were lost in a more recent board upgrade.  But I'll look around and definitely post a link if I can find it:dunno:

I have made 3, that everyone not named Stark will be ruled by bastards or women, Jon ends up as king, and that Daenerys dies. Right now The Baratheons, the lannisters, and the Martells are elimnated. Tyrion, even if Daenerys winning won't guarantee castely rocks loyalty. Jaime is kingsguard. and cerises kids are dead meat which leaves lancel and kevan.  The Baratheons are gone. Martells are down to women. The greyjoys are down to two and even if theon survives this series its over for him already. The tullies have edmure and the blackfish, and the AAryns have sweet robin. Tyrells only have Lancel in the show.

I only started reading when ADWD came out, so all my theories are for TWOW and beyond.  We're only just now getting into that stuff.  I've been on board with the Mel = super old lady who's glamoured theory since the start pretty much,  That one just got confirmed, which made me happy.  

Some of my other favorite theories are:  Arya and Dany crossing paths on the way back to Westeros, the North leading a fleet to take Dragonstone for the obsidian, LF dying outside the walls of WF, Jaime going North and allying with Jon Snow, and some others.  Based on spoilers I read on Watchers, it doesn't look like this season will confirm or deny any of these theories this season, except for maybe the LF one.  I'm gonna be waiting for TWOW or S7 to see how right or wrong I was for the other ones.     

EDIT:  Oh, and I don't believe Jon Snow will leave the NW after his resurrection.  No King in the North for him, he's gonna stay the Lord Commander of a drastically reformed NW imo.  That one will be confirmed or denied this Sunday hopefully.  

Archived