US Election: It's a post-TrumpDay world

TrackerNeil

12 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I have a hard time believing that twenty-year-old scandals that didn't hurt Clinton in the 90s will significantly affect her now. I don't have data on this, but it just strikes me as highly unlikely. But maybe millenials are just lusting to revisit dusty old witch-hunts they've heard about only in history class.

How do you define "significantly"? Because I don't think any single attack on Clinton will be a dagger to the heart. But the sheer number of attacks could lead to a death by a thousand cuts. Also, it's not limited to attacks from the 90's. There's plenty of new material to work with. And lastly, that type of snarky condescension is exactly the type of thing that will turn off young Sanders supporters. 

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kasich now needs to win 216% of the remaining delegates to claim the nomination. :blink:

In all seriousness, if You-Know-Who is able to secure the necessary delegates to win the nomination, it will be John Kasich's fault. 

Not sure. If you prefer Kasich, would you genuinely want to vote for Ted Cruz, even if the alternative is Donald Trump? Staying home might be more likely.

13 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Not sure. If you prefer Kasich, would you genuinely want to vote for Ted Cruz, even if the alternative is Donald Trump? Staying home might be more likely.

I recall seeing a number of polls that showed Cruz beating Trump head to head both nationally and in several states. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Maybe, but I was referring to Republicans who vowed they'd move to Canada if Obama won.

Rush Limbaugh is about six years overdue on his pledge to move to Costa Rica if Obamacare got passed. I guess he looked it up and found out they have public health care there too.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How do you define "significantly"? Because I don't think any single attack on Clinton will be a dagger to the heart. But the sheer number of attacks could lead to a death by a thousand cuts. Also, it's not limited to attacks from the 90's. There's plenty of new material to work with. And lastly, that type of snarky condescension is exactly the type of thing that will turn off young Sanders supporters. 

If you're asking me to put a number on "significantly" you're out of luck, but I can say that I doubt any of these decades-old allegations are going to drive away enough votes to imperil her candidacy. 

As to this death-of-a-thousand cuts, people have been slashing at Clinton for twenty years. She's sustained a million cuts and hasn't died yet, and I doubt Donald Trump is somehow dramatically more skilled with a blade.

I think Clinton is comfortably placed to beat Trump in the general, but it is probably also true that the attacks will hurt. Probably not too much vote wise, but more on a personal level.

Usually the Presidential debates have a veneer of politeness even if the candidates cant stand each other. I honestly dont know how Trump will behave in a Presidential one, going by his performances so far.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kasich now needs to win 216% of the remaining delegates to claim the nomination. :blink:

In all seriousness, if Trump is able to secure the necessary delegates to win the nomination, it will be John Kasich's fault. 

Well, that and Cruz being a complete douchenozzle.

27 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think Clinton is comfortably placed to beat Trump in the general, but it is probably also true that the attacks will hurt. Probably not too much vote wise, but more on a personal level.

Usually the Presidential debates have a veneer of politeness even if the candidates cant stand each other. I honestly dont know how Trump will behave in a Presidential one, going by his performances so far.

Trump and the Clintons are friends/friendly acquintances, or they used to be at least. That might not mean anything, but it might also mean that Trump sticks to generic attacks (she's playing the woman card!) and policy attacks (those are terrible ideas!) and doesn't get into personnel insults (she must be on her period!) the way he has with others in the past.

22 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

If you're asking me to put a number on "significantly" you're out of luck, but I can say that I doubt any of these decades-old allegations are going to drive away enough votes to imperil her candidacy. 

It's not just decades old stuff. Regardless of how you feel about the email nonsense, it will impact the election. Same with the allegations surrounding the Clinton Foundation, among other things.

28 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

As to this death-of-a-thousand cuts, people have been slashing at Clinton for twenty years. She's sustained a million cuts and hasn't died yet, and I doubt Donald Trump is somehow dramatically more skilled with a blade.

Are you forgetting that her negatives are kind of terrible right now? She'd be in a lot of trouble if her likely opponent wasn't Trump.

35 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ha. Have you seen the video of the girl reacting to him saying basketball ring?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In all seriousness, if Trump is able to secure the necessary delegates to win the nomination, it will be John Kasich's fault. 

Well let's all thank John, then. I mean, fuck him for robbing us of an open convention, but I feel much better about Trump v Clinton than that creepy mask of 'humanity' that calls itself Cruz.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ha. Have you seen the video of the girl reacting to him saying basketball ring?

I have not. But I want to now.

15 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Well let's all thank John, then. I mean, fuck him for robbing us of an open convention, but I feel much better about Trump v Clinton than that creepy mask of 'humanity' that calls itself Cruz.

You can jump on that grenade for all of us, PQJ. Have all the pizza you'd like with Kasich. :P

21 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I have not. But I want to now.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/national/no-ted-cruz-its-not-abasketball-ring

Focus on the cute brunette. She just turns and glares at him. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can jump on that grenade for all of us, PQJ. Have all the pizza you'd like with Kasich. :P

http://www.abc2news.com/news/national/no-ted-cruz-its-not-abasketball-ring

Focus on the cute brunette. She just turns and glares at him. 

I would totally give John Kasich's campaign a pizza cut into 800,000 slices that he can take for himself after running his campaign into the ground.

Also, yeah. Basketball is pretty fucking serious in Indiana. Haven't lived there for years and despise the place, but that was pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Indeed, "Lucifer in the flesh" by the reckoning of the previous Speaker of the House.

The Stanford University event focused on Boehner's views on the current crop of presidential candidates, according to the local paper, with Boehner airing his feelings about the Texas senator, who he called "a miserable son of a bitch."

“Lucifer in the flesh,” Boehner said, according to Standford Daily. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

Boehner went on to describe Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) as a friend but characterized Donald Trump as the presumptive nominee. He also said he would vote for Trump in the general election but would not vote for Cruz.

14 hours ago, maarsen said:

Canada is the move of choice because  we have ever so much fewer  idiots with guns. 

no reason to wait then.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

Yes, but luckily Trump himself as a candidate will inherently counteract that.

Not just the 'liberal elite': Google 'Republicans move to Canada' for proof.

Fair point.  i don't think it's quite as common, evidenced by the fact that when I DID search 'Republicans move to Canada' there were only a couple hits on the result before 'Raven Symone threatens to move to Canada if Trup wins', but it's not a tactic exclusively held by the left.

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Name calling.  Wow, kindergarten must have made quite an impression on you to resort to this no.

So is using shaming and name-calling as a tactic acceptable or not?  I can't tell from your post where you call me a kindergartener....

Look, I think pointing out how how Nader brought us Bush, and Sanders is headed down that path is exactly name calling, but you do you.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not just decades old stuff. Regardless of how you feel about the email nonsense, it will impact the election. Same with the allegations surrounding the Clinton Foundation, among other things.

Are you forgetting that her negatives are kind of terrible right now? She'd be in a lot of trouble if her likely opponent wasn't Trump.

Clinton's negatives were lower before she started running for office, and after the primary is over they'll likely go down again. 

Will the email nonsense impact the election? Sure, maybe, but the real question is, will it significantly impact the election? If things continue as they have, I don't think so. 

Archived