You're Ned: find some marriage betrothals for your kids

James Steller

Ned isn't a political animal, but Cat sure is.   I can see her shopping her kids and thinking no one is worthy, so I'm trying to see this through her eyes too, because I think she would have a big voice in this.   With that in mind I see Robb as the prize.  You can marry him out to gain more influence and power in the Riverlands or Vale.   Sadly, there just aren't any high powered maidens in either place.  So marry him to Alyce Karstark to resolidify the ties in the north.  Or Lady Barbarey Dustin, who brings a lot to the table.  Wylla Manderly is another great choice with lots to offer.  Sansa isn't worth as much but she has certain worth in the influence of her name.   Send her to the Reach and marry her to Wyllis Tyrell.  Give her a break.  Arya could bring Joffrey to heel so I say go for the throne with her.   He wouldn't get the first command to smack her in without losing an eye.  Bran would be suited to a lady of a less powerful house in the Riverlands.   The baby?  A Frey?  

I thought Jon matched to Mya Stone was a great idea.    

Due to my marriage to a Riverlander I’d betroth my heir Robb Stark to a Northern girl - Dacey Mormont or Meera Reed. Alys Karstark would be good but a lot of people forget she was betrothed to Daryn Hornwood. 

Sansa Stark would do well in the South so I’d betroth her to Willas Tyrell or maybe even Horas Redwyne if that fell through - the Reach will be an invaluable ally in what’s to come. If not, Andar Royce or Brynden Blackwood would be a good idea to reaffirm their First Men ties and gain southern influence. 

A marriage with the Tallharts is well overdue so I’d betroth Arya Stark to Benfred Tallhart, the heir to Torrhen’s Square. 

Now if I’m being particularly ambitious I’ll aim to make Brandon and Rickon powerful lords in their own right; I’d betroth Bran to Wynafryd Manderly so that he can rule as the Lord of White Harbour, and Rickon Stark to a Riverlander girl such as Bethany Blackwood and make a claim on Harrenhal as the heir of Minisa Whent (having passed over Edmure, Robb and Bran who will all be lords). 

Jon Snow and Mya Stone is a nice idea, but it could be prudent to send Jon to the Wall to show that House Stark still values the Night’s Watch, although I don’t think I’d be willing to send my own son/nephew to that miserable existence. 

All going well House Stark would be in a very powerful position and would’ve created two cadet branches that should rule over strong seats for the coming centuries. Of course I’d encourage my grandsons to take the Manderly and Whent names and arms out of respect and so that people don’t think we’re overreaching. 

Ooh, or a fun idea, not that Ned or Catelyn would ever go for it. 

Betroth Robb to Margaery Tyrell, Sansa to Quentyn Martell, and Arya to Robert Arryn. Foster Willem and Martyn Lannister at Winterfell. Have Mad Viserys assassinated and smuggle Daenerys over from Essos. Reveal Jon’s identity as the son and heir of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, and marry him to Daenerys to solidify his claim. With Robb, Sansa and Arya’s marriages, Catelyn’s status as a Tully, and Theon as a hostage, close in on King’s Landing with the full force of the North, the Vale of Arryn, the Iron Islands, Dorne, the Riverlands and the Reach. With Kevan Lannister’s sons held hostage at Riverrun, he might be encouraged to rethink his allegiances. Crush the Crownlands, Westerlands and Stormlands, seat King Jon and Queen Daenerys on the Iron Throne, and pat myself on the back for righting the wrongs of Robert’s Rebellion. Marry Bran and Rickon to Myrcella and Shireen and name them the Lord and Lady of Casterly Rock and Storm’s End, to allow the Lannister and Baratheon bloodlines to continue with strong Stark influence. 

Robb - Alice Karstark, or else Myrcella Baratheon

Jon - the Wall 

Sansa - a Royce or possibly Harold Hardyng if his chances of inheriting the Vale are good, the Vale is a good place for her in  any case though

Bran - Meera Reed maybe, or else Alice Karstark if Robb is married to Myrcella

Arya - Edric Dayne (considering my hindsight as a reader, they did seem to get along well and in Dorne she may be allowed to fight)

Rickon - too young to say for sure, but a northern wife would probably be best

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, The Dames do Moan said:

Sansa - Theon - I believe this was always his plan, raise Theon as a friend to house Stark and marry Sansa to turn the IRon Islands into friends rather than foes.

She'd hate it though. Arya would be a better match for Theon if only because the Iron Islands appear to have a more relaxed idea of how a woman should behave.

Best?

Robb Myrcella (keeps Robert happy)

Sansa Willas (good for Sansa, binds Tyrell heir)

Bran Shereen (heir to Dragonstone)

Arya Sweet Robin (keeps the Vale ties)

Jon send him into Danys service

Rickon can be Renlys page.

Theon Dacey could be a good match. Looks and fighter prevents raids on near island.

Next generation of Starks would be heirs to Vale, Reach and Dragonstone.  Great uncle would be Riverlands LP.  Ties Stormlands and Iron Isles though not strong.  And the King would be an uncle/cousin.

Since Eddard married outside of the North he'd need to marry most his children to Northern Houses to keep the relationship between the Starks and the rest of the North strong. 

Robb-  Alys Karstark, since Ned's making the marriages it will be before Alys was betrothed to anyone else.

Sansa- One of the Manderlys, they have knights, follow the Seven and live in a fancy Castle. Yet they are still in the North.

Arya- Edric Dayne, she'll be the Lady of Starfall and would be able to hang anyone who talked about Eddard having an affair with any Dornish women. That's why Catelyn will agree to the match.

Bran- Meera Reed, because he should become the Lord of Moat Callin and Meera is the daughter of the Lord who lives right by those lands who is also a good friend of Eddard.

Rickon- The daughter of the ruling Lord of Skagos, It's time to bring the Skags into the Northern fold. Having thousands of men mounted on unicorns will come into handy in any battles.

On 1/6/2018 at 0:10 AM, Curled Finger said:

Ned isn't a political animal, but Cat sure is.   I can see her shopping her kids and thinking no one is worthy, so I'm trying to see this through her eyes too, because I think she would have a big voice in this.   With that in mind I see Robb as the prize.  You can marry him out to gain more influence and power in the Riverlands or Vale.   Sadly, there just aren't any high powered maidens in either place.  So marry him to Alyce Karstark to resolidify the ties in the north.  Or Lady Barbarey Dustin, who brings a lot to the table.  Wylla Manderly is another great choice with lots to offer.  Sansa isn't worth as much but she has certain worth in the influence of her name.   Send her to the Reach and marry her to Wyllis Tyrell.  Give her a break.  Arya could bring Joffrey to heel so I say go for the throne with her.   He wouldn't get the first command to smack her in without losing an eye.  Bran would be suited to a lady of a less powerful house in the Riverlands.   The baby?  A Frey?  

I thought Jon matched to Mya Stone was a great idea.    

Catelyn would not allow Bran to marry a Frey. Probably Bethany Blackwood? Starks have married Blackwoods and Bethany is around Bran’s age.

28 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Catelyn would not allow Bran to marry a Frey. Probably Bethany Blackwood? Starks have married Blackwoods and Bethany is around Bran’s age.

You are absolutely right about that.   Guess it's hard for me to get in her head.   

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on my aims. Am I just keeping the North stable and do what the Starks have done historically and go for mostly local-ish betrothals? (Northern or at most nearby Vale/Riverlands Houses). Or in this post-Targ world, am I taking a Southern Ambitions approach and want to find matches further afield for more powerful alliances? 

Assuming I'm just going for the historical, local approach and at least somewhat taking my kid's personalities into account:

Robb - Agree with everyone that a Northern bride would be best given a Southerner as Lady of WF was so unusual. One of the most powerful and rich vassal houses so either:

• Alys Karstark - If I got my act together before she was promised to the Hornwoods.
  • Wylla Manderly - Not Wynafryd as she's heir to White Harbour in her own right so will remain there. (A second son would be better for her, if Bran was older or Sansa was a boy that would be ideal). 
  • Meera Reed - Probs more about of personal friendship, as the Reeds are important but not as wealthy/prominent. 

Sansa - Again, agree she'd be best to send South, but only the Riverlands and maybe the Vale houses have matched with Starks historically.(Probably bc of logistics, distance and actual usefulness). 

• Patrek Mallister - If of an appropriate age, I can't remember it 
  • Bryden Blackwood - likewise. Follows old gods and there have been past Blackwood/Stark matches.
  • Andar Royce - If I'm looking as far as the Vale 

Arya - Keep her North, both because of personality and because Sansa went South. 

• Cley Cerwyn - as everyone said, a childhood friend and she can stay close to WF 
  • Jojen Reed - she'd love the freedom of the Neck and the Reed's acceptance of Meera's unladylike skills suggest she'd be v. happy there.
  • Domeric Bolton - though he was a bit older. In a non-Ramsay world and after Roose died off, Arya would probably be a great person to reform House Bolton and Dreadfort.

Bran - Set him up with his own cadet house with land from the New Gift, if he doesn't go South to become a knight (or does and then comes back). Could make a Northern or a Riverlands match. 

• Bethany Blackwood - Solid Riverlands house, follows old gods.
  • Eddara Tallhart - Daughter of good Northern bannerman. 
  • Any other daughters of decent Northern houses: Not less powerful Stark vassals like Jeyne Poole or Bell Cassel; love the idea of Meera but probably a bit old in normal circumstances; Wynafred would be ideal but again probably too old; and the Mormonts just aren't prominent/rich enough to be worth it). 

Rickon - I'm trying to think of either Northern or even Riverlands girls around his age? Bethany Blackwood or Eddara Tallhart if Bran doesn't get them? 

Jon - Like Bran, set him up with a cadet house on the New Gift (rather than making him feel the Nights Watch was basically the only option). A smaller or less powerful house like the Cassels, Pooles or even the unconventional Mormonts might accept marrying a bastard if he came with lands and connections to the Starks. 

Man if only Ned actually thought ahead. 

Does he want to pursue the southron ambitions? If not:

Arya, married (if she doesn't escape) with the Cerwyn heir. I know he died, but oh well.

Sansa married to Domeric Bolton.

Robb married to Alys Karstark

Brandon married to one of lord Umber's daughters.

Rickon married to a northern clan heiress.

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Does he want to pursue the southron ambitions? If not:

Arya, married (if she doesn't escape) with the Cerwyn heir. I know he died, but oh well.

Sansa married to Domeric Bolton.

Robb married to Alys Karstark

Brandon married to one of lord Umber's daughters.

Rickon married to a northern clan heiress.

I’m surprised Ned hadn’t tried Robb and Alys Karstark. For Bran and Rickon, could try the Mormont girls. 

How old are the Greatjon’s daughters?

Robb - Wynafryd Manderly, eldest daughter of the heir of one of the strongest Houses in the North.

Sansa - Son of a high-ranking North/Riverlands Lord; perhaps Smalljon Umber, Patrek Mallister or Brynden Blackwood.

Arya - Robert Arryn, or a young northern heir if he is wary of meddling in Southron affairs.

Bran - One of the Mormont girls or perhaps Shireen Baratheon though probably not.

Rickon - Perhaps Alysanne Mormont’s daughter or Erena Glover.

The boys will probably remain in the North, and the girls will go wherever their husbands are.  Asgo, given the high rank of the Starks, they will likely marry into high-ranking houses.

Robb - Margaery Tyrell would be nice, but I don't see her willing to move north .  Same with Myrcella.  I would marry him to Wylla Manderly.  She's the grand-daughter of his most important bannerman, and close in age.

Sansa - In theory, Joffrey was a good idea, but it's clear that it wouldn't work out.  Tommen is probably too young, but a possibility.  I think Sweetrobin is a  better possibility.  She hasthe patience to deal with him, and Arya doesn't.  Wilas Tyrell I think is too old.

Arya - I thought about Sweetrobin, but Arya would probably veto it.  If Sansa/Joffrey doesn't work out, I would marry her to Tommen.   Joffrey is definitely out.  Not only would she veto it, they'd probably kill each other.  Otherwise, Trystane Martell is a good suggestion.  Other wild card possibilities include Edric Dayne and Sam Tarly.

Bran - If you want to go Southern, Shireen Baratheon is a possibility.  For the North, I would go with one of the Mormont girls (Lyanna, perhaps.)

Jon - I saw the suggestion of Joy Hill, which sounds like a very good idea.  Connects the two biggest non-royal houses without using up important candidates.

I have seen suggestions of marrying one of the Reeds or Cerwyns.  I think these are probably way too low-ranking to be real possibilities.  Cat in particular appears to be relatively ambitious and would want top-level marriages for her children.

20 minutes ago, Nevets said:

The boys will probably remain in the North, and the girls will go wherever their husbands are.  Asgo, given the high rank of the Starks, they will likely marry into high-ranking houses.

Robb - Margaery Tyrell would be nice, but I don't see her willing to move north .  Same with Myrcella.  I would marry him to Wylla Manderly.  She's the grand-daughter of his most important bannerman, and close in age.

Sansa - In theory, Joffrey was a good idea, but it's clear that it wouldn't work out.  Tommen is probably too young, but a possibility.  I think Sweetrobin is a  better possibility.  She hasthe patience to deal with him, and Arya doesn't.  Wilas Tyrell I think is too old.

Arya - I thought about Sweetrobin, but Arya would probably veto it.  If Sansa/Joffrey doesn't work out, I would marry her to Tommen.   Joffrey is definitely out.  Not only would she veto it, they'd probably kill each other.  Otherwise, Trystane Martell is a good suggestion.  Other wild card possibilities include Edric Dayne and Sam Tarly.

Bran - If you want to go Southern, Shireen Baratheon is a possibility.  For the North, I would go with one of the Mormont girls (Lyanna, perhaps.)

Jon - I saw the suggestion of Joy Hill, which sounds like a very good idea.  Connects the two biggest non-royal houses without using up important candidates.

I have seen suggestions of marrying one of the Reeds or Cerwyns.  I think these are probably way too low-ranking to be real possibilities.  Cat in particular appears to be relatively ambitious and would want top-level marriages for her children.

What about Rickon? I’d suggest Edric Dayne for Sansa myself.

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

What about Rickon? I’d suggest Edric Dayne for Sansa myself.

Rickon is too young to draw any conclusions about who he should marry. 

With some exceptions (Joffrey), Sansa and Arya are somewhat interchangeable as far as potential husbands go.  Sansa would likely go first.  Arya is more likely to be somewhat picky and would probably have, and exercise, veto power.

Archived