A better claim then the girl Myrcella?

The Dames do Moan

I noticed something that was bugging me a little bit today. It was in Tyrions first chapter of aDwD, which should run concurrent with AFFC.

Its when he gets to Illyrio's mance and Illyrio is telling him about his savior -

"Not Stannis. Nor Myrcella." The yellow smile widened. "Another. Stronger than Tommen, gentler than Stannis, with a better claim than the girl Myrcella. A savior come from across the sea to bind up the wounds of bleeding Westeros." -

-   "Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"

"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragonwith three heads." -

Why would he even think to say Myrcella at this point? Presumably this has happened well before prior the Queenmaker plot correct? It's well ahead in the combined reading  order.

After ASOS Mrycella was this just Tyrstane's betheothed and not much has been thought about her or her future in the game of thrones. So why now is Illyrio all of the sudden thinking she will be a future claimant? Does he have information about the future queen maker plot? It's hard to see how he would.

And why at the end when asked who the saviour is does Illyrio say a dragon with three heads? I don't believe he is referring to the three actual dragons? One and two I think are clearly (f)Aegon and Dany from his point of view, but who is this third dragon he already has in his pocket? Does he think A+J=T and he now thinks he has Tyrion?  Is he referring to the Golden Company as a whole as a third dragon? What about Varys and or himself? Or is there another piece of the puzzle we haven't been introduced to yet from his POV that would qualify as his Dragon? Or is he simply referring to the Targaryen sigil and saying a 3 headed dragon is coming as the saviour?

What are your thoughts?

Illyrio probably did not know about the Queenmaker plot, but he doesn't need to. At this point, for Illyrio, Joff is dead without an heir. Tommen is king and 8. Myrcella is Tommen's official heir. Stannis is sort of an option because the realm might turn to Stannis in desperation at some point. When Joff dies, Myrcella is one of the most important commodities to the Lannister-Baratheon crown, but it is not a concern until after Tywin dies. Tywin could hold things together until Tommen produced an heir, that is not anywhere as certain once Tywin is gone.

Illyrio is talking about it in "who would be the monarch if/when fAegon goes to Westeros?" Realistically, it could be Tommen, Stannis or Myrcella.

He refers to a dragon with three heads because he is subtly telling Tyrion that he has a secret Targaryen heir. A person that is a dragon with three heads. Just the sigil.

2 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

I noticed something that was bugging me a little bit today. It was in Tyrions first chapter of aDwD, which should run concurrent with AFFC.

Its when he gets to Illyrio's mance and Illyrio is telling him about his savior -

"Not Stannis. Nor Myrcella." The yellow smile widened. "Another. Stronger than Tommen, gentler than Stannis, with a better claim than the girl Myrcella. A savior come from across the sea to bind up the wounds of bleeding Westeros." -

-   "Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"

"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragonwith three heads." -

Why would he even think to say Myrcella at this point? Presumably this has happened well before prior the Queenmaker plot correct? It's well ahead in the combined reading  order.

Well without being too obvious or brusque, it's because she's got a f*cking claim to the throne based on current "lineage." Notice how he includes Tommen too? Well Tommen is her brother and Stannis is her "uncle". Context gives you clues. Take them in baby

Didn't Tyrion muse about queening Myrcella to spite Cersei infront of Illyrio's washerwomen, one of whom reported this back to Illyrio?

Illyrio steers him away from her and the other "Barratheon" claimants, actual or putative, towards his own horse in the race - Dany.  Next chapter he ships Tyrion off to meet up with Aegon en route to a later rendezvous with Dany.

The three heads is a literal reference to the three dragons she hatched.

I don't think there is anything else going on here than Illyrio manoeuvring Tyrion around to be useful to him.

On 28/4/2016 at 9:04 PM, The Fresh PtwP said:

They're also talking about Tyrion's old plan to go to Dorne and cause some mischief. It's actually kinda funny that Tyrion's like plan D is Arianne's plan A...she really needs to learn cyvasse.

That plan was actually Oberyn's. He told Tyene and Tyene told Arianne. Oberyn also told Tyrion.

Stannis, Tommen and Myrcella are the three possible claimants to the throne. Stannis is too hard, Tommen too weak, and Myrcella's claim is too easily contested (as she's a 1) female 2) child 3) with a brother). He doesn't need to know about Arianne's plot, he's just ruling her out.

The three heads thing probably just refers to Aegon's Targaryen sigil. He doesn't seem to support Dany in her own right, and I doubt he knows anything about prophecy.

Archived