What happens to House Reed when/if Jojen dies

Muggle

Jojen's fate seems to be death.  He dies in the show and has a doom over him in the books.

Are we to assume that a local will inherit Greywater threw Meera?  Assuming she makes it out alive.

I cant image a highborn outsider would want to marry into the crannogmen . And I cant see the crannogmen accepting an outsider to come and rule them to begin with.

43 minutes ago, Princess of Dragonflies said:

I thought Meera was the heir or it was implied because the way she was announced at Winterfell. Or did I just get too wrapped up in some related theory? 

They way in which the two are presented at Winterfell does seem a little peculiar:

At the foot of the hall, the doors opened and a gust of cold air made the torches flame brighter for an instant. Alebelly led two new guests into the feast. "The Lady Meera of House Reed," the rotund guardsman bellowed over the clamor. "With her brother, Jojen, of Greywater Watch."

But I at least  could not find any confirmation about her being the heir (none of the appendixes name either of them as heir, they do always list Meera before Jojen, though. Couldn't find anything in SSMs either.). I don't see why Crannogmen would follow absolute primogeniture, though. But I guess it might not be impossible.

5 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

The house is bound to have a cousin or two in the woodworks. swampworks

Ftfy.

Following standard succession, Jojen is heir, then Meera after him. But as far as Howland Reed should know, both of his children are already dead.

20 minutes ago, devilish said:

I think that Meera will give Lord Bran the time of his life and as an honourable guy he will marry her soon afterwards. Their first born will be Lord of Winterfell and the second son will be Lord of the Neck

I did wonder if Bran was capable. If not in his own body, then perhaps as Hodor?

Although once you start those trains of thought, the whole thing can go downhill rather quickly

3 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I did wonder if Bran was capable. If not in his own body, then perhaps as Hodor?

Although once you start those trains of thought, the whole thing can go downhill rather quickly

This raises an interesting question about the power of Wargs and the Wights (no not that question!). There is a rather compelling theory that the Wights are some sort of skinchanging ability taken to the extreme, but do the wights actually need a nervous system to function. I believe we see headless wights walking around killing people at least I believe Ser Jeramy was killed by a headless Wight.  How much of a corpse is needed to create a Wight? Could someone Wightify a hand or a pair of legs? Bran's damage appears to be damaged nerves in his spine, so would it be possible for him to Warg his own legs? Now of course this assumes that the Wights are some sort of skinchanging ability and the ridiculousness of Bran skinchanging his own legs seem to indicate that the Wight magic is some other kind of magic separate from skinchanging. 

I wish we knew more about House Reed.  As far as we know, there are only 3 members...Jojen, Meera, and their pops, Howland.  Somehow, I doubt that they are the only 3 Reeds still breathing.

What about their mother?  Does the books even hint any at whom Jojen/Meeras mom is?    We just simply don't have any information at all about Greywater Watch and it's inhabitants.  

5 hours ago, devilish said:

I think that Meera will give Lord Bran the time of his life and as an honourable guy he will marry her soon afterwards. Their first born will be Lord of Winterfell and the second son will be Lord of the Neck

5 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I think the answer to this question is one that can't be answered until Bran hits puberty anyway.  In the modern day they'd be able to determine the exact nature of the injury and whether certain parts may or may not work - but even in 2016 I don't think someone could answer that with 100% certainty until Bran hit puberty.  Depending on the exact nature of the spine breaking/spinal cord severing, some men can and some men can't, and that's post-pubescent men who break their spines (no waiting for puberty; all the pathways from brain to crotch are forged and well used - a boy who starts puberty with an already broken spine/cord, well his body might just be able to create different paths from brain to crotch.  And maybe not - I think we'd need an MRI or CAT scan to know more, and he'd need to go through puberty first before anyone, even a doctor in 2016, would be able to answer definitively). 

Short answer: can't know one way or another until puberty hits.  Then it's a simple yes or no!

2 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

I wish we knew more about House Reed.  As far as we know, there are only 3 members...Jojen, Meera, and their pops, Howland.  Somehow, I doubt that they are the only 3 Reeds still breathing.

What about their mother?  Does the books even hint any at whom Jojen/Meeras mom is?    We just simply don't have any information at all about Greywater Watch and it's inhabitants.  

Her name is Jyana, and she is not related to Lord Howland, but she is a crannog... woman. Meaning that after Howlie is gone her wife family may take Greywatch.

8 hours ago, devilish said:

His penis and balls do not work as he is paralyzed from the waist down. And he is not quite 11, so the time of his life is hot chocolate and scary stories. None of those lead to marriage 

4 hours ago, Reivven said:

This raises an interesting question about the power of Wargs and the Wights (no not that question!). There is a rather compelling theory that the Wights are some sort of skinchanging ability taken to the extreme, but do the wights actually need a nervous system to function. I believe we see headless wights walking around killing people at least I believe Ser Jeramy was killed by a headless Wight.  How much of a corpse is needed to create a Wight? Could someone Wightify a hand or a pair of legs? Bran's damage appears to be damaged nerves in his spine, so would it be possible for him to Warg his own legs? Now of course this assumes that the Wights are some sort of skinchanging ability and the ridiculousness of Bran skinchanging his own legs seem to indicate that the Wight magic is some other kind of magic separate from skinchanging. 

wights are not skinchanged. they are undead corpses. At one point, Thorne is sent to kings landing with the hadd of a castle black wight in a jar to show the king. Between the journey and the time Tyrion has his wait, the had rotted away in the jar before Alister had his audience  

On 4/28/2016 at 11:30 AM, King Merrett I Frey said:

Her name is Jyana, and she is not related to Lord Howland, but she is a crannog... woman. Meaning that after Howlie is gone her wife family may take Greywatch.

True, I guess if Howland doesn't have any relatives it would fall to her.  Im thinking were missing a decent part of the Reed family tree. 

More I think about it, it seems odd that House Reed would be in such a weak spot in heirs / family size.

57 minutes ago, Muggle said:

True, I guess if Howland doesn't have any relatives it would fall to her.  Im thinking were missing a decent part of the Reed family tree. 

More I think about it, it seems odd that House Reed would be in such a weak spot in heirs / family size.

I'm sure there are more Reeds, just not on the main branch.

I also wonder if the crannogmen also share the family-tied-to-an-ancestral-castle with the rest of westerosi. Since there is almost no information on the text about crannog settlements save for Greywatch one can only guess.

So my take is that in the Neck there are very few large settlements -all mobile- and they switch owners with more frequency that in the rest of Westeros. Most of the noble crannogmen are just dispersed about. They live in swamps, after all. They must be similar to the clans of the Mountains or those guys that followed Stannis after he took Deepwood Motte (Forresters among them);  and the Reeds their most respected tribe.

5 hours ago, Muggle said:

I've thought the same thing about Hornwood, Caron, Dondarrion, Baratheon, Bolton, Tully, and Mallister.

Archived