Captain America 3 - Discussion and reviews (SPOILERS in tags until May 14th!)

denstorebog

34 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Maybe I was having a bad day.  I may try to check it out again sometime.

Its worth it.  Just a different tone to the movie than other Marvel flicks entirely.  More of a comedy/heist film than anything else.

13 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Just an observation - there was one person that definitely was not pulling his punches in the fight. Ant/giant man. He absolutely tried to kill people a whole punch of times (attempting to stamp on them to squash them flat, etc)

What a dick.

Maybe he's just trying to take revenge for all the ants the other characters have probably thoughtlessly stepped on at some point in their lives?

Saw it over the weekend and thought it was a pretty good superhero film.  Not anything spectacular, but not bad.  I liked BvS a bit more, though they both suffered from similar issues.  I really hope 2 1/2 hour superhero movies aren't becoming the norm.

On 5/16/2016 at 10:24 PM, RumHam said:

That is no small feat. I seriously think someone should create a smartphone app that suggests when you should go pee during a movie as spoiler free as possible. A poorly timed bathroom break can totally ruin a movie. 

Please don't turn on your phone while in a theatre... 

12 hours ago, aceluby said:

Saw it over the weekend and thought it was a pretty good superhero film.  Not anything spectacular, but not bad.  I liked BvS a bit more, though they both suffered from similar issues.  I really hope 2 1/2 hour superhero movies aren't becoming the norm.

As far as I can tell 2 1/2 hour movies, full stop, are becoming the norm.

51 minutes ago, mormont said:

As far as I can tell 2 1/2 hour movies, full stop, are becoming the norm.

I think long form storytelling is becoming the norm these days. TV shows have become the ideal way to tell a story. So now movies are becoming more like tv shows. They are longer, they don't ever finish with just one episode.. so you need a continuous storyline running over 3, 4... infinite movies!

I do somewhat miss the days of a compact concise story, real bare bones stuff.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Seems like a lost art, doesn't it? 

Certainly, I can't remember the last movie I saw that was under 2 hours and managed to tell a satisfying story. These days movies need 3+ hours to get to the end, and seemingly every single time there is a massive lull in the middle. 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Certainly, I can't remember the last movie I saw that was under 2 hours and managed to tell a satisfying story. These days movies need 3+ hours to get to the end, and seemingly every single time there is a massive lull in the middle. 

The last movie i saw in the theaters, Deadpool, could have very well been 45 minutes long.

I think part of the reason that movies are trending towards being longer is because subtle story telling is a thing of the past. Exposition is the new norm, and every thing is pretty much what it seems. You can't take any sort artistic liberties in most of these blockbuster movies, its all as "dumb" and simple as can be. In order to get from the first act to the third act you are going to need a second act that basically breaks down the reason for why the third act exists, in painful detail. 

Did what i just said make any sense? I can't tell. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

The last movie i saw in the theaters, Deadpool, could have very well been 45 minutes long.

I think part of the reason that movies are trending towards being longer is because subtle story telling is a thing of the past. Exposition is the new norm, and every thing is pretty much what it seems. You can't take any sort artistic liberties in most of these blockbuster movies, its all as "dumb" and simple as can be. In order to get from the first act to the third act you are going to need a second act that basically breaks down the reason for why the third act exists, in painful detail. 

Did what i just said make any sense? I can't tell. 

haha yes it did. I wonder if it has anything to do with the internet, the urge to have everything explained to you in great detail, to cover every character and make them well rounded. I can't quite identify when these movies started to get longer and why, but IMO it was the beginning of 2000 ish.. maybe with LOTR

In other news, CA:CV is tracking to top 1 bil worldwide quite soon [if not by the weekend, then on it] and while critical and audience ratings put it a fair margin over A:AoU in quality, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will surpass A:AoU's 1.4 bil before tapping out though I imagine it will. 

I can't help but wonder how TimerWarner/WB/DCEnt are going to feel about this hahaha...

edit: oh yah, and hey Relic :P

16 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That and 'What We do in the Shadows'. Though there is talk of a sequel for What We do in the Shadows.

Oh, and 'Boy'.

You'll notice a common thread in all these 3 movies.

7 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

In other news, CA:CV is tracking to top 1 bil worldwide quite soon [if not by the weekend, then on it] and while critical and audience ratings put it a fair margin over A:AoU in quality, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will surpass A:AoU's 1.4 bil before tapping out though I imagine it will. 

I can't help but wonder how TimerWarner/WB/DCEnt are going to feel about this hahaha...

edit: oh yah, and hey Relic :P

Civil Var is it now? Has zee Red Skull returned?

Plenty of non-blockbusters are still well under 2 hours. The last movie I saw in theaters was Eye in the Sky last month, and it was 102 minutes. It was also fantastic.

Its certainly very rare among blockbusters though. Only 1 of the top-50 box office films of all time (not inflation-adjusted, so almost all are post-2000 releases) is under 2 hours, excluding animated films which are usually much shorter, and that's the Tim Burton-directed Alice in Wonderland at 108 minutes.

Archived