Gregor Clegane vs Robert Baratheon (prime) - who would win?

Jojira

Both at their best/in their prime, who would win?

Gregor, he's arguably the biggest man in Westeros, has the thickest plate armor available, and has his 6-foot greatsword that he could use one-handed if he wants to.

Robert, has as much battle prowess as Gregor, if not more. Has his spiked iron warhammer.

Now, both guys are really big and super strong. In a battle of muscle, it's easy to assume that the bigger one wins. Robert has fought and beaten hundreds of foes in his battle, but sure, none like Gregor as far as we know. Still, everyone who remembers Robert in his prime say that he was unbeatable. Robert has also been training his whole life with the master at arms at both Storm's End and The Eyrie, who were probably better than the one at Clegane's keep (the Baratheon's have always been a family of fighters, which leaves me to believe they'd spare no expense in training their sons).

If you can't tell already, I would really like to give an edge to Robert. At the very least, I'd say it would be close.

Thoughts?

I really think Robert could take Gregor. Both fearsome warriors, but I think Robert was likely more skilled. Could go either way tho-- I don't think you could even accurately predict a best of 10 duel between them with any sort of consistency. A warhammer swung by Prime!Robert Baratheon could almost certainly stave in the Mountains armor. That said, I think Robert would have a difficult time parrying Gregors attacks.. he's so strong he could probably chop the warhammer in-two. 

We know about Jaime:

Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. (...)It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaimie could beat them all

A stronger fighter could be beaten by a weaker one with speed and skill, like Jaime.

So between the people stronger than Jaime - Robert, Greatjon, Strongboar, Sandor, Gregor - which of them could defeat the others with speed and skill?

Gregor. I think much of Robert's reputation is inflated, tourney wise, it seems he only fought in meles, and only a few, at most. In his battles, he was put out of commission in his most memorable battles, Bells and Trident, even though he survived and is given the laurels of victory, many fought and died. Then, becoming king, his already inflated repbecomes conflated, in large part to lickspittle ass kissers trying to gain favor. Ned as a POV remembers his butt buddy fondly, too subjectively. 

On 29/04/2016 at 8:01 PM, Jaak said:

We know about Jaime:

A stronger fighter could be beaten by a weaker one with speed and skill, like Jaime.

So between the people stronger than Jaime - Robert, Greatjon, Strongboar, Sandor, Gregor - which of them could defeat the others with speed and skill?

Bit off topic, who says that quote? like fuck could Jamie beat Arthur Dayne. As for the main question, I'd give it to Gregor purely on the basis that throughout the books people refer to Robert's fighting style as pure strength and as a brute. Gregor is bigger and as Oberyn finds out surprisingly quick and resilient. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2016 at 8:01 PM, Jaak said:

We know about Jaime:

In that quote Jaime only refers to the guys that are still alive, he wouldn´t beat Dayne with speed and skill, because he was never superior to Dayne with a sword...

To the OP, Prime Robert is imo the greatest warrior in the story the perfect combination of size, skill, feats and weapon specialization (killed more known knights than anyone besides Barry, with sword and warhammer, and even on horseback wich wasn´t his thing, a perfect genetic model)... he´s just slightly weaker than gregor and has a deadlier weapon and more speed (yes you need speed to move with armor and a giant hammer killing dozens) , Robert is strong enough to block the mountain but clegane can´t stop a warhammer...so Prime Bob for the kill

Archived