THE PUNISHER now a Netflix series

Werthead

10 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Agreed. DD limped to 13 episodes and I don't see how it will be any different for this.

At this rate we'll get another golden age of Film as the amount of episodes we deem workable  for a show to be good contiues to decrease. We've already gone from 22 down to 13 and now 13 seems unmanageable. What we want are 2.5 hour TV movie events! I have noticed that BBC prouctions tend to be as long as they think the story needs to be so you can get anything from 2-8 episodes in a season/series. They are also a lot more flexible on run-time. Some Luther series have 3 episodes but each one is 2 hours.

11 hours ago, Risto said:

Interesting... Netflix corner of MCTVU is getting more and more crowded. Will be interesting to see how this works. I would like to see shorter seasons from now on, not surpassing 10. I think everyone would benefit from that.

10 episodes is sensible from the standpoint of netflix trying to put out 5 marvel shows on an annual basis. I'm just not sold on the idea that it's the episode number but the people writing when it's 13 episodes and viewers take issue with it. I can see how there is filler with 22 episodes as that's a full on job in terms of production time in the space of a year but 13 gives quite a bit of breathing room. I enjoyed the season and my issue with ninjas being a bit silly compared to the opening arc wouldn't really have been affected by there being 3 less episodes -there' still be a slightly silly ninja ar at the end of the season.

11 hours ago, Relic said:

Nope,  they portray Hell Kitchen as if it were half of Manhattan and a bits of Long Island City and Greenpoint/Williamsburg as well. It's small,  and now gentrified, but used to be super seedy. Taxi Driver seedy,  and so on. 

They really haven't moved with the times. It's definitely one of the big perks of DC's fictional cities eg Gotham, smallville etc where they don't age.

I think some of the Marvel heroes have moved over to SF/LA in the last few years. Supervillains clearly need seawater to thrive.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

10 episodes is sensible from the standpoint of netflix trying to put out 5 marvel shows on an annual basis. I'm just not sold on the idea that it's the episode number but the people writing when it's 13 episodes and viewers take issue with it. I can see how there is filler with 22 episodes as that's a full on job in terms of production time in the space of a year but 13 gives quite a bit of breathing room. I enjoyed the season and my issue with ninjas being a bit silly compared to the opening arc wouldn't really have been affected by there being 3 less episodes -there' still be a slightly silly ninja ar at the end of the season.

True, but we are currently looking at 6 different shows, counting Punisher. Yeah, if the idea is to put 6 different seasons on annual basis, it would be sensible. But logistics aside, I do feel as both DD and JJ would have benefited from slightly shorter seasons. For DD Season 2, even one episode would have worked, for DD Season1 and JJ Season 1, I think 10 might have had been the perfect number.

Also, with the character such as Punisher, the quantity does matter. I feel as making shorter, a bit more compact season, would work perfectly for Punisher. He owned this season of DD, and I feel that is partially because they didn't overdo him.

The Defenders is going to only be 8 episodes, so I think Netflix are showing some flexibility there.

The odd thing is that many shows did just fine with 20, 22 or even 26 episode seasons. But it was a very different time with rushed production schedules and much bigger writing teams, but of course ratings across the board were higher and the studios could get away with lower production values. I think the current trend for serialisation is to blame: it makes stand-alone episodes more incongruous and there's this mistaken belief that each episode either needs to advance the metastory or be set-up for that advancement. The idea that you can take the foot off the throttle and do a cool, stand-alone story seems to be fading fast.

It makes me concerned for the new Star Trek series. It sounds cool and all, but that set-up means you're never going to get another Visitor, Far Beyond the Stars, Inner Light or City on the Edge of Forever.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The odd thing is that many shows did just fine with 20, 22 or even 26 episode seasons.

Well, there is a LOT more tv than there used to be. So people have a lot less tolerance for filler when there is so much material to sift through. 

51 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Defenders is going to only be 8 episodes, so I think Netflix are showing some flexibility there.

The odd thing is that many shows did just fine with 20, 22 or even 26 episode seasons. But it was a very different time with rushed production schedules and much bigger writing teams, but of course ratings across the board were higher and the studios could get away with lower production values. I think the current trend for serialisation is to blame: it makes stand-alone episodes more incongruous and there's this mistaken belief that each episode either needs to advance the metastory or be set-up for that advancement. The idea that you can take the foot off the throttle and do a cool, stand-alone story seems to be fading fast.

It makes me concerned for the new Star Trek series. It sounds cool and all, but that set-up means you're never going to get another Visitor, Far Beyond the Stars, Inner Light or City on the Edge of Forever.

Good point regarding serialisation. I think in the old days they had stock done-in-one episodes that they could insert to make up the schedule when in a tight spot. The orginal fillers. The thing is they often had a lot to pick from so there was a bit of competition meaning you'd get good fillers (still some bad ones). If anything it's more stretching than filling with shows these days as many have formats where you can't just throw in a story indedpendent of the ongoing tale.

It should be possible with street level heroes to have them dealing with a crime of the week but the binge format makes it trickier. Trek has a format where it should work but like you mention, it's not fashionable at the moment and people are impatient. Then again if trek has "filler" episodes that are excellent maybe people will start saying "I wish show x would do more stand-alone episodes rather than overly long stories"

37 minutes ago, Relic said:

Well, there is a LOT more tv than there used to be. So people have a lot less tolerance for filler when there is so much material to sift through. 

It's true, I've no idea how many hours of TV a week there is now compared to even 20 years ago.

Punisher seems like a difficult one to work into a solo series. Since he has a limited rogues gallery. Seeing how he guns everyone down. Im thinking they're probably going the welcome back frank or Max route.

Yeah tell me about it. There's also an explosion of superhero shows. I'm someone that watches a lot of them and I still can't keep up. I'd rather have the 13 eps than ten, however. Cutting the 3 eps assumes the show runners will have perfect powers of cutting the bad or filler eps. It's pretty easy to look back and say they should have cut that. 

6 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Punisher seems like a difficult one to work into a solo series. Since he has a limited rogues gallery. Seeing how he guns everyone down. Im thinking they're probably going the welcome back frank or Max route.

The Max route makes sense. It's hard to have recurring villains when he kills them or fails. Mob bosses could be figures he can't get access to but continue to be a problem. It would be great to have him and Kingpin cross paths again. I hope his show remains grounded and deals mainly with non powered crime-lords. Something like Dexter meets Person of Interest .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/11/2016 at 9:21 AM, voodooqueen126 said:

Well Jon Bernthal is very hot. Which is a bonus. But would seriously prefer if he patrolled something other than Hell's Kitchen.

If I'm not mistaken, the Punisher goes wherever the mob is....lol. 

,,, Other than perhaps being a tad small, Bernthal is great casting. his demeanor is perfect

17 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

"Motion Poster"

I legit felt trolled by that because, like most people would've, I assumed it'd be an actual teaser trailer. smh

I felt so disappointed by that moving logo that I had to get me a Punisher fix on youtube. I'll leave it here for anyone else in need of such relief.

Bernthal is doing a great job, but if the first movie had been as good as this fan short then Jane would still be playing Frank castle.  :/

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I legit felt trolled by that because, like most people would've, I assumed it'd be an actual teaser trailer. smh

I felt so disappointed by that moving logo that I had to get me a Punisher fix on youtube. I'll leave it here for anyone else in need of such relief.

Bernthal is doing a great job, but if the first movie had been as good as this fan short then Jane would still be playing Frank castle.  :/

Yeah, Punisher is on Netflix right now and immediately after feeling trolled by that 'motion logo' (seriously, who the fuck does that?) went to watch some clips.  Might catch the entire movie this weekend when the kids are in bed.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, Punisher is on Netflix right now and immediately after feeling trolled by that 'motion logo' (seriously, who the fuck does that?) went to watch some clips.  Might catch the entire movie this weekend when the kids are in bed.

Oh no! I was by no means advocating watching the terrible movie w/  Thomas Jane & John Travolta. I actually tried watching it again this year because I thought maybe my memory was playing tricks on me and it couldn't have been as bad as I remembered, but no, no it was that bad. The scene where the Russian wrecks Frank's apartment is about the only worthwhile thing in that entire movie. That clip I posted was basically a rich guy making an indie fan fic pic and it's better than the entirety of the Jane/Travolta film.

Archived