THE PUNISHER now a Netflix series

Werthead

7 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Looks like it's going to focus on Frank's military past and possibly some other old scores he has to settle from that time. Hopefully we see some crossover with Simpson/Nuke & Dr. Koslov from Jessica Jones S1.

I'd assume that they are saving Nuke and all that for Jessica Jones s2.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

New Trailer

And a release date! The next 4 weeks should be fun with this and Stranger Things.

I've a feeling this should make a nice palette cleanser after Defenders. A marvel show that just focuses on the character and not expanding it with some ninja crossover. Hopefully.

Although I'd happily take another Kingpin cameo.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

These Netflix shows need a LOT more Kingpin. 

Yeah, he's been by far the best bad guy in any of the Netflix shows.  I wonder if they want to primarily keep him as a Daredevil villain.

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he's been by far the best bad guy in any of the Netflix shows.  I wonder if they want to primarily keep him as a Daredevil villain.

After this scene:

All I want is Kingpin going after Matt as a lawyer, not realising he's Daredevil.

15 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

After this scene:

All I want is Kingpin going after Matt as a lawyer, not realising he's Daredevil.

Some of the best comic Daredevil stuff occurred after he found out Matt was Daredevil.  I think Bendis was the writer during that period, but there were some awesome comics.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first episode. Its already more enjoyable than Defenders, Iron Fist etc. I thought maybe I'd moved on and didn't care about these Marvel tv shows any more, but this one already has got me.

The only downside being that the woman who almost made me quit the Expanse is in it.

9 hours ago, Eggegg said:

Watched the first episode. Its already more enjoyable than Defenders, Iron Fist etc. I thought maybe I'd moved on and didn't care about these Marvel tv shows any more, but this one already has got me.

The only downside being that the woman who almost made me quit the Expanse is in it.

I haven't started watching, yet, but I looked on imdb, and didn't see any woman who is also in The Expanse. You picked my curiosity, who is it?

The Punisher was the best part of Daredevil season 2. I never bothered with Iron Fist or The Defenders. Iron Fist because of reviews and word of mouth. I just never bothered with The Defenders. Maybe it has more to do with comic book superhero oversaturation and fatigue than anything else. The Punisher, however, I have been eagerly anticipating.

Just watched the first episode. The opening is good then the rest of it is really dull/bad until the last 5 minutes which has some explosive and violent action and has me thinking "oh well, I'll give the next episode a try".

I'll spoiler the following.

The main problem the show has is that it's trying to emulate Punisher MAx by having Frank as a side character and focusing on others around him. Unfortunately Bernthal and Frank are the best characters by far in the show so all the approach achieves is making you want more Punisher. The reason Punisher MAX limited Frank's screen time is because there's only supposed to be so much you can do with a maniac protagonist. Here, we wish the rest of the cast only had half the charisma/depth of Frank/Bernthal. There are some cops that besides feeling exactly like all the other cops who appear in marvel netflix also feature a chief who is so ridiculously hackneyed you have to hope they deliberately parodying the convention. The building site crew are also paperthin and in general there's some really ropey acting. It's only an extra but there's a building site person witnessing a work injury who is so terrible it tore me out of the scene - it was "someone won a competition and was contractually forced to have them on set" bad.

It appeared to be a done-in-one episode at least and I'm hoping, despite reviews suggesting otherwise, it'll try and do this more often than not. A major flaw with marvel netflix is not having enough story for the episodes they have. self-contained episodes would help get around this.

I just hope they haven't ruined the show by diluting its essence with characters nobody really wants to spend time with and that includes the actors playing them and the writers handling their dialogue because this first episode has Frank Castle feeling like the only "real" person in the enitre show which really shouldn't be the case.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

Just watched the first episode. The opening is good then the rest of it is really dull/bad until the last 5 minutes which has some explosive and violent action and has me thinking "oh well, I'll give the next episode a try".

I'll spoiler the following.

Reveal hidden contents

The main problem the show has is that it's trying to emulate Punisher MAx by having Frank as a side character and focusing on others around him. Unfortunately Bernthal and Frank are the best characters by far in the show so all the approach achieves is making you want more Punisher. The reason Punisher MAX limited Frank's screen time is because there's only supposed to be so much you can do with a maniac protagonist. Here, we wish the rest of the cast only had half the charisma/depth of Frank/Bernthal. There are some cops that besides feeling exactly like all the other cops who appear in marvel netflix also feature a chief who is so ridiculously hackneyed you have to hope they deliberately parodying the convention. The building site crew are also paperthin and in general there's some really ropey acting. It's only an extra but there's a building site person witnessing a work injury who is so terrible it tore me out of the scene - it was "someone won a competition and was contractually forced to have them on set" bad.

It appeared to be a done-in-one episode at least and I'm hoping, despite reviews suggesting otherwise, it'll try and do this more often than not. A major flaw with marvel netflix is not having enough story for the episodes they have. self-contained episodes would help get around this.

I just hope they haven't ruined the show by diluting its essence with characters nobody really wants to spend time with and that includes the actors playing them and the writers handling their dialogue because this first episode has Frank Castle feeling like the only "real" person in the enitre show which really shouldn't be the case.

I didn't feel like that about the first episode at all. The work site plot was pretty tired and hardly something we havent seen before but I think it was reasonably tense and I liked seeing Frank refusing to talk etc. 

I'm not sure I agree about the lack of focus on Frank either, I'm 3 episodes in and he feels like hes in 75% of the scenes. I mean he's not much of a conversationalist so I don't know how much I'd want.

Archived