Isn't it odd that Robert never named a child after Ned?

Ned and Jon Arryn named their children after Robert, and Jon Snow was named (if I'm not mistaken) after Arryn, but isn't it odd that Robert never named his own child after Ned? I know that Robert wasn't much of a father, and that Cersei's influence in that department was insurmountable, but you'd think he would've named at least one of his sons after Ned, at the very least after he heard about Robb's birth and wanted to pay him back in kind. Makes me wonder if Robert had suggested it and Cersei shot it down, or if Robert just didn't give it a second thought.

Not really, he has never cared about them. Didn't Cersei say that he was always away whenever her time was near ? He could've pressed Cersei to name the children but he didn't meaning he didn't care.

Also i don't think Robb was named after Robert, Ned was away during his birth so it was Catelyn who named him

I think it is two things 1) robet never had any real interest in any of his children. Does not matter where or when they came from... 2) cersei was never going to let that happen if she could help it cause she didn't want robert to influence her childern and his lack of interest means he would not spend the effront to do anything like that. 

Would've been weird actually now I think of it. Every time we heard somebody say Joff etc while addressing Joffrey, in its place would have been Ned. Nah, it just don't work. 

GRRM deliberately made it that it would have been a Cersei choice for the names and it works better.

1) Robert didn't care. by his own words the crown he won was a hallow victory, so why would he care about his lineage?  Robert Baratheon aka The Demon of The Trident died the day Lyanna did, and The Whoremonger King was born.

2) The last time they saw each other in 15+ years before Roberts trip to WF was Ned essentially telling Robert to fuck off and leave him be.

1 hour ago, redtree said:

Also i don't think Robb was named after Robert, Ned was away during his birth so it was Catelyn who named him

Who else would Robb be named after? As far as I can tell there is no other Robb or Robert we know of who makes for a better case than Robert Baratheon. I see no legendary or beloved Tully or Whent with either name. Are you suggesting Cat would only name Robb after Robert if Ned was at the birth? I don't see the relevance of Ned being there.

Cersei named the Roberts official "Children". And most of Roberts mistresses and lovers named their kids to please him. Edric Storm is clearly named for Ned. Inorder to endear him to his father. A clever tactic when you have a Kings Bastard. What better way to make him think fondly of the son he barely see's than to name him for his best and dearly beloved friend. 

As is Ned Dayne, it seems which to me is the FAR more interesting thought. 

34 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Who else would Robb be named after? As far as I can tell there is no other Robb or Robert we know of who makes for a better case than Robert Baratheon. I see no legendary or beloved Tully or Whent with either name. Are you suggesting Cat would only name Robb after Robert if Ned was at the birth? I don't see the relevance of Ned being there.

i think Cat named Robb after robert because at the time everyone thought Ned and Robert were best friends. I think Ned would not have named his child Robb at the time cause he was very angry with Robert.  

2 hours ago, Slender Aimry Hill said:

Well, there's a faint possibility he did, I suppose. Edric Dayne is nicknamed Ned. He shares his formal name with Edric Storm. It would be least conceivable to see Edric as a southron variant of Eddard...

That is a very good possibility. Thanks for that insight.

1 hour ago, DigUpHerBones said:

1) Robert didn't care. by his own words the crown he won was a hallow victory, so why would he care about his lineage?  Robert Baratheon aka The Demon of The Trident died the day Lyanna did, and The Whoremonger King was born.

2) The last time they saw each other in 15+ years before Roberts trip to WF was Ned essentially telling Robert to fuck off and leave him be.

Greyjoy Rebellion? They fought together at Pyke.

Seems to me that Ned answered his King's summons and Robert wanted Ned there with him.  There were a lot of other places to fight: Old Wyk, Great Wyk, Harlaw, Orkmont, etc. Ned could have easily taken his Northern forces elsewhere, but he did not.

Admittedly, the hurt Robert felt in the aftermath of the sack of KL could have still bothered him when Joffrey was born, but Tommen was born after the Greyjoy Rebellion.

He was so drunk all the time that he probably tried to said "Eddard" but slurred "Tommen". And yes, I have seen this happened. The name of a friend of mine was product of his father being very drunk. (relax, the name was ok, it was just the wrong name).

1 hour ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Edric is the Stormlands pronounciation for Eddard.

"Andal", rather than Stormlands. You have also Edric Dayne.

1 hour ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Robert's only important bastard is named for Ned.

Bingo. I hadn't realised that. Funny that Ned also named his "bastard" after the man he considered almost a father. So many bastards were born during the Robellion, that people probably ran out of names. :dunno:

17 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

"Andal", rather than Stormlands. You have also Edric Dayne.

Andal doesn't fit exactly. There are several sorts of Andal spelling. Edric is the one in southeastern Westeros, Stormlands and Dorne, thereabouts. In the RIverlands or the Vale? Probably not.

The best example for that difference is Robert himself. He's spelled Robert, but the guys explicitly named for him are spelled Robb in the North and Robin in the Riverlands/Vale.

Just now, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Andal doesn't fit exactly. There are several sorts of Andal spelling. Edric is the one in southeastern Westeros, Stormlands and Dorne, thereabouts. In the RIverlands or the Vale? Probably not.

The best example for that difference is Robert himself. He's spelled Robert, but the guys explicitly named for him are spelled Robb in the North and Robin in the Riverlands/Vale.

You're right. What I meant to say was that "Edric" isn't exclusive to the Stormlands.

Archived