Isn't it odd that Robert never named a child after Ned?

Well it's not nearly weird as to the thought of Robert not naming his child after Lyanna.

4 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Bingo. I hadn't realised that. Funny that Ned also named his "bastard" after the man he considered almost a father. So many bastards were born during the Robellion, that people probably ran out of names. :dunno:

Interesting, never thought of this. I always wonder why the name, Jon, was chosen. I always considered Lyanna is the one who want her child to be named Jon, but after reading your post, it make sense.

31 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Well it's not nearly weird as to the thought of Robert not naming his child after Lyanna.

Interesting, never thought of this. I always wonder why the name, Jon, was chosen. I always considered Lyanna is the one who want her child to be named Jon, but after reading your post, it make sense.

It was Ned naming him, according to Martin himself.

22 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Who else would Robb be named after? As far as I can tell there is no other Robb or Robert we know of who makes for a better case than Robert Baratheon. I see no legendary or beloved Tully or Whent with either name. Are you suggesting Cat would only name Robb after Robert if Ned was at the birth? I don't see the relevance of Ned being there.

It's a name, doesn't mean that she has to named him after someone, maybe she likes that name. His name is only Robb btw, not Robert neither it's a short for Robert. 
It has never been mentioned that Cat named him after Robert, neither that it has been implied that she admires Robert that much to name Robb after him. In AGOT Cat actually looked disgusted with his behavior. Jon Arryn naming his son Robert makes sense because Robert was already a king by then, while Robb was born during the rebellion when Robert was another rebel lord

48 minutes ago, redtree said:

It's a name, doesn't mean that she has to named him after someone, maybe she likes that name. His name is only Robb btw, not Robert neither it's a short for Robert. 
It has never been mentioned that Cat named him after Robert, neither that it has been implied that she admires Robert that much to name Robb after him. In AGOT Cat actually looked disgusted with his behavior. Jon Arryn naming his son Robert makes sense because Robert was already a king by then, while Robb was born during the rebellion when Robert was another rebel lord

Robert was a co-rebel lord with her husband and her sister's husband. We may not have explicit confirmation, but the simplest explanation is that Robb is named after Robert. There is no good reason to think he isn't named after Robert.

1 hour ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Robert was a co-rebel lord with her husband and her sister's husband. We may not have explicit confirmation, but the simplest explanation is that Robb is named after Robert. There is no good reason to think he isn't named after Robert.

Except your simplest explanation has little reason, and it has never been confirmed or mentioned (like the way Robert mentioned little Robert Arryn was named after him). There is no good reason to think that he is named after Robert

Cersei named her kids, who were not Robert's, with Lannister names as a further insult to Robert, whether he was sober enough to grasp that fact or not. As to Robert's own kids, it wouldn't be a real compliment to your bestie to name a bastard after him, would it?

About Robert chasing whores, he'd bang anything, not just ladies of negotiable virtue. One of Stannis's major butthurts was Robert bedding that Florent in Stannis's wedding bed. Robert was also chasing noble ladies around while on tour with Cersei early in their marriage. 

Archived