NFL 2016 Draft: To 6 More Rounds Of Misery And Joy!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

32 minutes ago, sperry said:

Titans and Browns both having phenomenal drafts. This makes me laugh a lot.

Seems like Cleveland would inevitably hire someone competent to run the team at some point.  Just sad it took them almost twenty years.

2 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Tell him to talk to Larry Allen, who was better than him... (and Munoz is a god among men.)

In defense of Larry Allen, he was a Pro Bowler at both guard spots AND left tackle. He also played right tackle his rookie year and more than held his own against the likes of Reggie White*.

*Though there is an awesome clip of Reggie white using as swim move on Allen that made Allen fall over like a dead man!  

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Seems like Cleveland would inevitably hire someone competent to run the team at some point.  Just sad it took them almost twenty years.

They are set up so well. Either RGIII pans out ans they have their QB, or they will be terrible and can draft a QB in the top 3 next year, plus theyve got the Eagles pick which should be a top 5 pick.

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

They are set up so well. Either RGIII pans out ans they have their QB, or they will be terrible and can draft a QB in the top 3 next year, plus theyve got the Eagles pick which should be a top 5 pick.

They could literally take the top 2 QB's on the board.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

Yeah, I am digging what the front office is doing.  Their picks have all seemed pretty solid and the fact that they turned the second pick into a massive haul of future draft picks and still got their top receiver is pretty awesome.  It's a shame Josh Gordon is such an idiot.  A Gordon/Coleman one-two punch could have been one of the better receiving teams in the league in a year or two once Coleman adjusts to the NFL game.  It's possible he could be great immediately, but Baylor doesn't run much in the way of NFL routes, so I assume it will take a year.

Pretty shocked the Raiders traded up to get Connor Cook with the 1st pick of the 4th round when they already have a pretty damn good young QB. Might be trying to coach up and then trade a QB for a higher pick. Ron Wolf used to do that.

I expected Dallas to get a QB but the DE they got, Charles Tapper, looks impressive.

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

Pretty shocked the Raiders traded up to get Connor Cook with the 1st pick of the 4th round when they already have a pretty damn good young QB. Might be trying to coach up and then trade a QB for a higher pick. Ron Wolf used to do that.

I expected Dallas to get a QB but the DE they got, Charles Tapper, looks impressive.

They were able to get Prescott anyway later in the round. Good fit for that team; he can learn for a few years and maybe start once Romo's ready to hang it up.

I am absolutely extatic that Dallas was able to address some more defensive needs, and land Prescott in the fourth. So far, I am actually kind of giddy over this year's draft. What happened to idiot Jerry Jones screwing everything up? This is several solid years of very good drafting now.

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

More shocking is that they're willing to put Connor Cook in their up-and-coming locker room.  Seems like it could end up being a bad move for them.  

15 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

They were able to get Prescott anyway later in the round. Good fit for that team; he can learn for a few years and maybe start once Romo's ready to hang it up.

Yeah, they lucked out after getting leapfrogged for Lynch and Cook. He's been my sleeper, really glad they got him!

5 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I am absolutely extatic that Dallas was able to address some more defensive needs, and land Prescott in the fourth. So far, I am actually kind of giddy over this year's draft. What happened to idiot Jerry Jones screwing everything up? This is several solid years of very good drafting now.

I'm really hope the two d-linemen they got in the 3rd and 4th can pan out. Both seems to have starter potential, especially Collins. Dallas almost always hit in the 1st but the midrounds have been iffy. Hope they finally got some gems.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

More shocking is that they're willing to put Connor Cook in their up-and-coming locker room.  Seems like it could end up being a bad move for them.  

They have to hope he's been completely humbled by all this and will just come in and work his ass off. 

I'll say this about the Niners draft: I don't love all the picks, but Baalke's sticking to his formula. There was talk he might need to be a bit flashier as his job's endangered for the first time, but he's still drafting a lot of guys with higher ceilings who need development. So, as much as he annoys me, I respect the fact that he's still drafting for the organization rather than for his job.

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yea he's not. He's a decent sized, tough WR with separation issues at the NFL level but good hands. He's a lesser version of Sanu at this point but more sure handed. Would have preferred waiting for Mike Mitchell or Mike Thomas in the third and grab Bullard there. 

Also would have preferred we grabbed Hargrave in the third instead of Vigil. Our DL needs help and he's a monster DT. Hate that he's on the Steelers.

Not an exciting draft for the Bengals and we didn't really get better.

A lesser Sanu? That's dissapointing. How the hell did this kid break Larry Fitzgerald's Pitt records??

7 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Tell him to talk to Larry Allen, who was better than him... (and Munoz is a god among men.)

Antony Munoz was the best LT to ever play the position. Kind of makes him the best OL by default imo. 

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree though. Especially since our homer biases are a factor. :lol:

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

A lesser Sanu? That's dissapointing. How the hell did this kid break Larry Fitzgerald's Pitt records??

I say lesser cause he's not as big or strong but he has better hands and better body control. He'll be similar in terms of ability to separate but he'll help the team. Still need an outside receiver and hate that they took Core, someone who's only played WR for 2 years in his life, over Mike Thomas.

Other than that, beginning of the third day was solid with Billings and Westerman. Jumped the shark a bit in the 6th but I'd expect nothing less from the Bengals. That's when they love to get their projects (except last year when they got Smith). Still, the first 5 rounds got potential starters even if there are likely no superstars (Jackson has potential).

30 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

So Moritz Boehringer went in the 6th round to the team that got him interested in football, Vikings. Cool story and hopefully this dude can make it. 

I'd prefer he went to a team like the Pats with Biilly B, but Norv Turner's no slouch. The kid's a physical freak.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Antony Munoz was the best LT to ever play the position. Kind of makes him the best OL by default imo. 

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree though. Especially since our homer biases are a factor. :lol:

Justin Tuck talking about playing against an "old" Larry Allen.

Here you can watch Larry Allen bench press 705 lbs, and after that, when your jaw comes up off the ground, you can see him dominate the offensive line position like no one else in history.

ESPN has some metric called QBASE to project QBs.

Carson Wentz's closest comparisons are Joey Harrington, EJ Manuel, Chad Henne and Jake Locker.

Here is my favorite snippet: " In fact, Wentz's projection is driven mostly by his mediocre raw stats rather than the opponent and teammate adjustments. His statistical profile (as a senior, 62.5 completion percentage, 7.9 yards per attempt, 17 touchdowns, 5 interceptions) puts him with other highly drafted quarterbacks who struggled in the NFL. "

Good thing the Eagles traded the farm for that. The guy wasn't that great, playing low level competition, on a team that was way better than its competition.

Looking back over the Bengals draft, I'm happy. It's one of those workmanlike drafts where we get players we may or may not need this season but generally good value. The first three rounds didn't go the way I wanted but that was mostly due to the board and less to do with the Bengals (unless you want to give them crap for now trading up to get who they want). We had a few needs going into this draft, mainly WR, DT, LB, C, DE, and CB (in that order) but most of them weren't immediate so we could afford to take best player available on their board. 

For the most part, we hit all our needs. We grabbed William Jackson III in the first after all 4 WRs we would have taken were picked before us. This pick excites me because of his ability and because the Steelers were forced to take Burns afterwards which looks like a worse prospect. In the 2nd, we reached a little for Tyler Boyd after Michael Thomas and Sterling Shepard were taken ahead of us but he has sure hands, good route runner and is highly competitive, having broken all of Fitz's records at Pitt with subpar QB play. He's not explosive but he may be dependable and with Eifert/Green/Gio catching passes, he fits really well as a third/fourth option. In the third, we took Nick Vigil, an athletic, instinctive LB out of Utah State. With Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey and Dawson in front of him, he's not going to play early but he does add much needed youth and speed to the LB core for 2017 and beyond.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the first two days but they weren't ideal. I would have liked for us to grab a WR in round 1 but that didn't happen. Would have preferred a DL (Bullard from Florida specifically) in round 2 and maybe Mike Mitchell or Javon Hargrave in round 3 (depending on who we picked in round 2). But it was all fine when we took Andrew Billings in round 4 and Christian Westerman in round 5, two players who I think can and will start and will be huge players for us. Billings next to Atkins will be a force, a guy who is only 21 years old but can bench over 600 lbs. His tape is just ridiculous and most people thought he was going to go in the first round. Westerman is one of the best rated pass blocking guards and can play center. They both provide much needed depth and will hopefully take over for Peko and Bodine respectively in 2017. Rounds 6 and 7 were throwaways and I doubt either make the team. They should have taken Mike Thomas in the 6th round but instead focused on some WR who only played for 2 years at Ole Miss.

Not the flashiest overall draft but the value was solid and they added some talent to much needed areas of the team. The only position I wish they addressed was a pass rusher. These types of drafts are why the Bengals continue to be relevant year after year and I don't think this year will be any different. As long as we can stay healthy in the key positions (Dalton, Eifert, Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict), we'll have enough depth to handle the odd game here or there. Tough schedule but I think we'll manage just fine.

Archived