NFL 2016 Draft: To 6 More Rounds Of Misery And Joy!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I really enjoyed the 9/11 conspiracy theory thread the forum had a year or two ago.  It was a great demonstration of how when you pick and choose facts, you can make a wrong argument sound surprisingly convincing. 

Glad the joke didn't fall flat. And I wish I had been here then to troll some Truthers.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

One might consider that Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford had markedly different bodies of work prior to their trade demands.

And drastically different reasons for their trade demands.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

I'm glad you brought up Kurt Warner.  Because Kurt Warner was benched halfway through the season for Eli Manning despite having a winning record.  Eli proceeded to go 1-6 that season completing 48% of his passes.  So, despite the fact that Kurt Warner was clearly the better QB at the time, he was still benched. Because that's what is going to happen when you have the #1 overall QB behind you. That is exactly why Sam Bradford wants out of this situation.

Already been mentioned, but Kurt wasn't playing all that great with the Giants. They started out with a nice record, but in Ernie Accorsi's biography it's quite clear that he was benched because several O-linemen were upset that he was holding the ball for upwards of 7 seconds. Which led to sacks/strips which made them look bad and started hurting the team.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

One might consider that Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford had markedly different bodies of work prior to their trade demands.

Palmer had the two really good years early, but was coming off 4 straight mediocre seasons when he demanded the trade.

Just now, sperry said:

He's done fine given the circumstances.

Circumstances only matter with Bradford but not with Palmer right? Oh wait, they only matter when Palmer has a good year, not the mediocre ones. 

Give it up man. Your argument doesn't sit right with anyone and I don't see a whole lot of people in the national space defending Bradford either. You're a one man army.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Circumstances only matter with Bradford but not with Palmer right? Oh wait, they only matter when Palmer has a good year, not the mediocre ones. 

Give it up man. Your argument doesn't sit right with anyone and I don't see a whole lot of people in the national space defending Bradford either. You're a one man army.

They do matter for Palmer, hence why Sam is taking the same tact as him.

The bottom line, he is fucked in this situation in Philly. He is doing the smart thing to try to get out of this situation. The thing that still makes zero sense in this whole ordeal is Philadelphia refusing to trade him when they do not need him. Drafting Wentz meant they were 100% releasing him at the end of the year.  Not addressing their roster needs through free agency or the draft meant they were likely to be really bad this year, and likely to bench Bradford midway through the season. They will be paying him a bunch of money to start meaningless games or to ride the pine.  They could get *something* for him if they traded him.  If doesn't matter whther you think he has potential, or you think he's steaming hot garbage, the Eagles have committed to moving on from him and gain nothing but locker room dysfunction by keeping him.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

They do matter for Palmer, hence why Sam is taking the same tact as him.

The bottom line, he is fucked in this situation in Philly. He is doing the smart thing to try to get out of this situation. The thing that still makes zero sense in this whole ordeal is Philadelphia refusing to trade him when they do not need him. Drafting Wentz meant they were 100% releasing him at the end of the year.  Not addressing their roster needs through free agency or the draft meant they were likely to be really bad this year, and likely to bench Bradford midway through the season. They will be paying him a bunch of money to start meaningless games or to ride the pine.  They could get *something* for him if they traded him.  If doesn't matter whther you think he has potential, or you think he's steaming hot garbage, the Eagles have committed to moving on from him and gain nothing but locker room dysfunction by keeping him.

So if Bradford goes out and plays well, how is he fucked? Playing on a shit team is nothing new for him, it's not like Philly was the '85 Bears last year, they were 7-9. They obviously want him for this year and don't seem keen on throwing Wentz into the fire as a rookie. Sucks for Bradford, yes, but try to put up some numbers then. Benching him midway through the season is only an assumption on your part. The eagles are repeatedly stating he is their #1 QB this year, so regardless of how bad the team is, he has been given the starting job. Go out and do something with it so a team may actually be interested in him next off season. It's not like teams are beating down the doors for Sam Bradford.

As for the locker room dysfunction, that's all on Bradford. No one is going to feel bad for a guy making $18 million and no showing because his team drafted a QB from a FCS school. Philly wasn't going to be setting the NFL on fire this year even if they didn't make the trade up for Wentz. They'd still be ass this year either way.

16 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

So if Bradford goes out and plays well, how is he fucked? Playing on a shit team is nothing new for him, it's not like Philly was the '85 Bears last year, they were 7-9. They obviously want him for this year and don't seem keen on throwing Wentz into the fire as a rookie. Sucks for Bradford, yes, but try to put up some numbers then. Benching him midway through the season is only an assumption on your part. The eagles are repeatedly stating he is their #1 QB this year, so regardless of how bad the team is, he has been given the starting job. Go out and do something with it so a team may actually be interested in him next off season. It's not like teams are beating down the doors for Sam Bradford.

As for the locker room dysfunction, that's all on Bradford. No one is going to feel bad for a guy making $18 million and no showing because his team drafted a QB from a FCS school. Philly wasn't going to be setting the NFL on fire this year even if they didn't make the trade up for Wentz. They'd still be ass this year either way.

They could be significantly better if they'd held onto DeMarco Murray and used their draft picks to address needs. Instead, they didn't.

Again, the thing in this taht boggles my mind is that it is in both party's best interest for the Eagles to trade Bradford. This should be a non-issue, they should be trying to get rid of him.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the igles covered themselves in glory this offseason. But if Bradford gets traded, won't he still be under a two year contract that'll allow his new team to cut him loose after one year? Why not try and put up some good numbers in a bad situation, show that he's a hard working team player, and then be able to negotiate a new contract if released or an extension of traded? I think that's what has people baffled. That you think a trade is the best outcome for him. 

19 hours ago, sperry said:

They could be significantly better if they'd held onto DeMarco Murray and used their draft picks to address needs. Instead, they didn't.

Again, the thing in this taht boggles my mind is that it is in both party's best interest for the Eagles to trade Bradford. This should be a non-issue, they should be trying to get rid of him.

How did Murray work out for them last year? 700 yards and a handful of touchdowns and nothing but hard feelings.

As to a trade being in the eggles best interest, I don't see that. They won't get much if anything in the trade market especially now that he has acted out like this. I mean, where would he go to and be the clear cut #1 QB with no competition behind him, since that clearly bothers him? Their best interest is to keep him and let the season play out to see how Wentz progresses. If 8 games into the season they feel like trotting Wentz out for a while so be it.

If he holds out, see ya later, Chase you are in the game.

23 minutes ago, dbunting said:

How did Murray work out for them last year? 700 yards and a handful of touchdowns and nothing but hard feelings.

As to a trade being in the eggles best interest, I don't see that. They won't get much if anything in the trade market especially now that he has acted out like this. I mean, where would he go to and be the clear cut #1 QB with no competition behind him, since that clearly bothers him? Their best interest is to keep him and let the season play out to see how Wentz progresses. If 8 games into the season they feel like trotting Wentz out for a while so be it.

I would argue that Kelly did not use Murray properly. He almost never ran him up the middle. 

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Bradford isn't going to actually hold out when he's losing game checks, and if he did, I doubt the Eagles would be heartbroken.  They'd save a ton of money and Chase Daniel would go from "most overpaid 3rd string qb in history" to starter. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Bradford isn't going to actually hold out when he's losing game checks, and if he did, I doubt the Eagles would be heartbroken.  They'd save a ton of money and Chase Daniel would go from "most overpaid 3rd string qb in history" to starter. 

It would be bad for the Eagles because they would have $18,000,000 in cap space doing nothing.  Not like they can go out and get an $18 million player to replace him. The money itself is a pittance for the hundreds of millions that NFL teams make annually, it's the cap space that's the issue.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Murray didn't go from leading the league in rushing to being unable to play in one season.  He was misused by Kelly and the run blocking as a whole was horrific all year.

They get zero if they don't trade him.  Trading him for a 7th rounder even gets him off the books and gets them something.  They aren't trying to win, why do they care if he is there starter.  He and the club have two completely divergent goals, it's not in their interest to keep him.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

It would be bad for the Eagles because they would have $18,000,000 in cap space doing nothing.  Not like they can go out and get an $18 million player to replace him. The money itself is a pittance for the hundreds of millions that NFL teams make annually, it's the cap space that's the issue.

You can carry over cap space year to year.  So 18 mil saved this year can be spent next year.  

Archived