Stupid Questions: The Triumphant Return

Datepalm

As we seem to have lost the old stupid questions thread...all those things you feel like probably you should know, but you don't.

No judgements, just input from the knowledgeable. Or at least the opinionated.

So my question is: can one be affected from second hand smoke from, uh, in-places-illegal grassy substances?

Let's say your roommates smoke quite a lot in a given holiday week - in a closed room you also use quite a lot, including while you're there -  and you don't and never have, and say you find yourself sleeping way too much and having strangely vivid dreams and a general kind of vagueness and ennui? Is that a thing or do I just need to get out of the house more, regardless of whats floating around in it?

I'm not knowledgeable but I did a google search and found some scientific research on this which suggests that there can be an effect, though the conditions have to be extreme (the experiment had people sitting in an unventilated room with other people smoking for an hour).

I don't know enough to know if the after-effects you are experiencing could be due to cannabis, but I'm sure getting out of the house more would be a good thing regardless!

9 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

I don't know enough to know if the after-effects you are experiencing could be due to cannabis, but I'm sure getting out of the house more would be a good thing regardless!

Really this thread should be called the 'interesting questions' thread!  Curious, I looked more into the effect of cannabis on dreaming and found actually it suppresses dreaming (though if people have been smokers for some time and then stop smoking, they get a rebound effect of vivid dreams).  So it seems more likely that your dreams have an unrelated explanation, maybe you are experiencing disturbed sleep due to light/noise/heat/anxiety/hormones or something?  This article suggests that your dreams may be more vivid because you are sleeping longer.

Hm that is interesting. I will tell them that.

Ok, so the evidence seems to add up to not being able to blame my roommates choice in mood altering substances for my altered mood, that's all me. Yay.

I've been working from home and it's a holiday so there's nothing much to go do in the evenings either...yeah, I just need to get out of here.

Maybe I'm not clear on the circumstances, but you can absolutely uh, experience certain immediate effects second hand from certain recreational activities, though it's pretty dependent on your proximity in time and space to aforementioned activity. Not sure I'd lay blame for lethargy or ennui at that doorstep, unless it's a, let's say, chronic issue.

Two part question -

I was wondering if I might be considered an awful human being if I bought an anti barking device to use on my neighbors dogs. They bark at me constantly when I am in my backyard and the owners keep them out there all day. The neighbors are batshit crazy so going over there to speak when them nicely is not an option. I must approach this in a stealthy way.

Regardless of the morality of my dog torture plan - does anyone know if these high frequency anti dog bark thingys they sell on Amazon work? Some are in the $70 to $80 range.

6 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

What is heavier..a kilogram of steel or a kilogram of feathers..??

One kilogram is one kilogram. A kilogram of steel will have the same weight as a kilogram of feathers, the only difference would be the volume it takes up. :)

4 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

but you can absolutely uh, experience certain immediate effects second hand from certain recreational activities, though it's pretty dependent on your proximity in time and space to aforementioned activity.

Yeah, this.  Contact highs really are a thing.  Also, detectable levels of THC could show up on drug tests any time in the next month or so.  Point being, you might as well be hitting that.  :P

1 hour ago, Maester Drew said:

One kilogram is one kilogram. A kilogram of steel will have the same weight as a kilogram of feathers, the only difference would be the volume it takes up. :)

I...I don't get it....

42 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I think the word you're looking for is denser.

But...steel is heavier than feathers...

43 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I...I don't get it....

But...steel is heavier than feathers...

No, steel is denser. That's what I was getting at beforehand.

Anyway, I'd still prefer a kilo of feathers falling on me compared to a kilo of steel falling from the same height. There are two reasons for this: pressure and drag.

Pressure means that one kilo of steel falling on me will hit me in a far more concentrated spot, and is likely to cause worse injury than the distributed effect of a kilo of feathers. Drag means that the final velocity for the feathers will be much smaller than the final velocity of the steel,

If I had the choice of carrying a kilo of feathers or a kilo of steel though, I'd probably go for the steel. Far less combersome.

Archived