Stupid Questions: The Triumphant Return

Datepalm

On 4/30/2016 at 3:09 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

But...steel is heavier than feathers...

Steel is more dense than feathers.  A kilogram of either is heavier on earth than on the moon.  Local gravity makes it so.  

An antibark device that you can monitor sounds much like spray bottle training for kitties.  I'd be leery of one that was set to go off automatically.  I feel for you zelt.  A constantly barking dog is worse than living downwind from a dumpster.  Quality of life issue.  Sorry your neighbors are such shits.

How can I get Monster Glue off of my fingernails?  This stuff gets everywhere.

12 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

What about tips for take-out? The places where you order online or by phone and they bring the food out to your car. I usually tip like $3 and I have no idea if anyone else tips more or at all.

10%

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I was referencing a comedy skit with my question lol lest people think I really am quite dull 

Sorry Theda!  Not at my best in the morning.  Also it's final exam week and my students are still asking this question.

5 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I'd submit that a key part of being a not-terrible person is not intentionally distressing animals who are most likely already very stressed (which is why they're barking so much) even if it does cause some minor inconvenience to yourself.

So, basically, you're saying that the distress inflicted on humans by the continuous barking of dogs is a  "minor inconvenience" that should always be ignored for the sake of the animals' well-being?

Why are dogs barking more bothersome than birds chirping? Both are sending out a territorial claim through their voices. Good thing we have property lines and fences or we'd just have to bellow out "My space..my space" constantly.

Why is a car horn more bothersome than the rustling of leaves in the trees? It's a far louder, more invasive sound. 

I've also never heard a bird chirp nonstop for hours at night. After a few nights of destroyed sleep I can completely understand contemplating all sorts of extreme solutions. However I suggest a less controversial course. Ear plugs.

31 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Why is a car horn more bothersome than the rustling of leaves in the trees? It's a far louder, more invasive sound. 

I've also never heard a bird chirp nonstop for hours at night. After a few nights of destroyed sleep I can completely understand contemplating all sorts of extreme solutions. However I suggest a less controversial course. Ear plugs.

No springtime all night bird fucking where you're at?  It's an all night thing for a couple of weeks where I'm at.  

I think disrupted sleep is shitty no matter what, though thankfully the dog torturer doesn't seem to be experiencing disrupted sleep.  He's getting a disrupted tanning session. 

17 hours ago, Rippounet said:

So, basically, you're saying that the distress inflicted on humans by the continuous barking of dogs is a  "minor inconvenience" that should always be ignored for the sake of the animals' well-being?

I'm impressed - in one post you've managed to hit the internet argument trifecta of exaggerating the facts as presented, leaping immediately to absolutes and ignoring arguments you don't have an answer to.

• The barking isn't continuous, it's when zelticgar is in the backyard and the dogs on the other side of the fence can probably hear but not see him (her?) and so start barking at the stranger who, in their minds, is creeping around their back fence. There are more effective and less shitty ways of approaching that.
  • I didn't say 'always' and I didn't say 'ignore'. It's not a binary choice between doing nothing and cruelty. That being said, yes, I do generally hold adult human beings to a higher standard of behaviour than animals (or children, for that matter. It would also be shitty to do this if the neighbours had annoying kids).
  • Again, since you seem to have ignored it, I see no reason why zelticgar would be any more justified in bothering the rest of the neighbourhood with an intrusive noise.

Here's one...how's ennui pronounced? I have no clue. My instincts say EN-YOU-EYE, but apparently it's really French so more like ON-WEE? Has anyone actually ever heard the word used in speech? I don't think anyone can get away with it.

Holy shit, just googled and I've been saying it wrong for like three decades.  Thankfully, so has everyone else.  I say and always here the EN-YOU-EYE version.  All the dictionaries I've consulted say it's AHN-WEE.  I don't think I've ever heard AHN-WEE, though if I had I probably didn't notice what word it actually was.

11 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I'm impressed - in one post you've managed to hit the internet argument trifecta of exaggerating the facts as presented, leaping immediately to absolutes and ignoring arguments you don't have an answer to.

Only because I find the entire discussion ridiculous. You're talking about "cruelty" and someone else uses the word "torture." This is an anti-barking device we're talking about, not waterboarding! The point of the device is to train dogs, not be cruel to them.
Yes, in zelticgar's case, going straight to the anti-barking device would be kind of a dick move, and would be, indeed, selfish. But I can understand that someone would be selfish when i) it's to fight intrusive noise and ii) to peacefully enjoy your own property. That doesn't make someone a "terrible person," not even close. Anyone who thinks causing a dog a minor inconvenience to preserve one's own tranquility is enough to be a "terrible person" needs a serious reality check. A terrible person would actually harm the dogs. A terrible person wouldn't ask other people's opinions on the matter. So the appropriate answer to zelticgar's original question was "Well, it would be kind of a dick move, are you sure you won't try anything else first?"

9 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Here's one...how's ennui pronounced? I have no clue. My instincts say EN-YOU-EYE, but apparently it's really French so more like ON-WEE? Has anyone actually ever heard the word used in speech? I don't think anyone can get away with it.

Down here it's ahn-WEE and used more often then you'd think.

Perhaps zelt should hire him a vet? 

Seriously, having a barking dog harassing you constantly when you're in your own yard is about the most irritating thing I can think of.  It's more irritating than cat pee in the laundry, flying cockroaches, stinging caterpillars,termites, birdsong, roosters,  or drunk neighbors having their weekly bro + carcrashing fest.  I lived next to a dog like that.  I moved.  Zelt, you have my sympathy.  I think you are being very humane. 

Archived