Aerion Brightflame was a good fighter

Valens

If you look at the fact that he managed to injure Duncan the Tall and not just a little, but nearly won their melee, then you can draw the conclusion that Aerion was the most capable fighter and knight of Maekar's sons. As I already mentioned, Daeron was a drunk, Aemon a scholar and Aegon aka Egg was never known as a great knight, he was only a squire to Dunc. Is this one of the reasons Aerion was so vain? Might be. Probably because of that he thought that the "dragon blood" was stronger in him than in his brothers. It is fortunate he didn't inherit the throne, isn't it? Lol.

9 minutes ago, A bowl of brown said:

Wel dunc wasnt exactly arthur dayne back then was he? 

Maybe not with a lance, but he was good at "street fighting" and I guess he was decent with the sword, since he was made a Gold Cloak commander. But I assume, Aerion being significantly smaller (he is described of medium height while Dunc is over 2 meters tall) also made him significantly faster and nimbler, thus allowing him to tilt Duncan. Or however you say it. Defeat him with a lance. He also was well trained in the jousting as king's son.

23 minutes ago, John Doe said:

At least he's a better fighter than most mad rulers (like Joffrey, Dany, or Ramsay). 

Since when was Dany mad? And Ramsay is not a ruler, no matter how much he styles himself as one. ;) Nor will he ever be.

I don't think anyone says that Aerion was a poor knight, just a crazy git. When he fought Dunk, the Bright Prince had been trained by the master of arms at the Red Keep and/or Summerhall. Dunk had been trained by an old hedge knight. If any future Dunk and Egg Tales feature Aerion (which I assume at least one will) we could get a better comparison after Dunk has gained more experience. The little information we have about upcoming D&E stories (from WoIaF) makes me think Dunk and Aerion will be on the same side of any conflict (probably reluctantly)

55 minutes ago, Valens said:

Maybe not with a lance, but he was good at "street fighting" and I guess he was decent with the sword, since he was made a Gold Cloak commander. But I assume, Aerion being significantly smaller (he is described of medium height while Dunc is over 2 meters tall) also made him significantly faster and nimbler, thus allowing him to tilt Duncan. Or however you say it. Defeat him with a lance. He also was well trained in the jousting as king's son.

Assume you meant White Cloak.

4 minutes ago, Mick of House Guinness said:

I don't think anyone says that Aerion was a poor knight, just a crazy git. When he fought Dunk, the Bright Prince had been trained by the master of arms at the Red Keep and/or Summerhall. Dunk had been trained by an old hedge knight. If any future Dunk and Egg Tales feature Aerion (which I assume at least one will) we could get a better comparison after Dunk has gained more experience. The little information we have about upcoming D&E stories (from WoIaF) makes me think Dunk and Aerion will be on the same side of any conflict (probably reluctantly)

Assume you meant White Cloak.

Yeah...but they were called Gold Cloaks under Daemon the first, he gave them those cloaks...and himself. Btw, Aerion is also said to have fought well in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. So, he was no coward for sure. Just crazy, vain and temperamental.

To think Dunk was a great fighter back then is a mistake.  He knew the basics, but he was massive and powerful.  The battles Dunk wins during his Dunk and Egg adventures are due to his power not skill.  He almost dies every time!  Actually, I think he did die once (drowning) but was brought back.  Kinda like the way the Iron Born do it!

5 hours ago, Valens said:

Yeah...but they were called Gold Cloaks under Daemon the first, he gave them those cloaks...and himself. Btw, Aerion is also said to have fought well in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. So, he was no coward for sure. Just crazy, vain and temperamental.

What are you talking about? Dunk was a member of the Kingsguard, never the Gold Cloaks. And, Daemon the first?

I'd say he was above average compared to the lord of westeros, just based on his performance in THK. So yeah he was a good fighter, but it terms of the power rankings, as in who is the best of all time I don't think he is in the top 50.

12 hours ago, Artos Cold said:

What are you talking about? Dunk was a member of the Kingsguard, never the Gold Cloaks. And, Daemon the first?

Yes, Daemon the first, to distinguish him from Blackfyre. Where is the problem, son?

23 minutes ago, Valens said:

Yes, Daemon the first, to distinguish him from Blackfyre. Where is the problem, son?

Well des Daemon caused the citywatch to be called Gold cloaks by givind them said cloaks. But that was what, sixty years before the events of Dunk and Egg?

And I can't recall either Aerion or Dunk serving in the city watch.

Lastly, Deamon the first would imo mean that he was a king. I'd go with Daemon the rogue prince, or just prince Daemon.

To the op I'm with Tom Cruise

1 hour ago, The Snow Bear said:

Well des Daemon caused the citywatch to be called Gold cloaks by givind them said cloaks. But that was what, sixty years before the events of Dunk and Egg?

And I can't recall either Aerion or Dunk serving in the city watch.

Lastly, Deamon the first would imo mean that he was a king. I'd go with Daemon the rogue prince, or just prince Daemon.

To the op I'm with Tom Cruise

Wrong! Daemon WAS king, only not of Westeros but Stepstones.

7 hours ago, Valens said:

Wrong! Daemon WAS king, only not of Westeros but Stepstones.

And gave up the crown later on... Daemon the first implies he sat the Iron Throne at one point. He was barely ever a king

3 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Dunk eventually became one of the best knights of all time.  I expect as we see more of Dunk N Egg we will see him develope.  Doesn't he eventually beat The Laughing Storm in single combat, or am I mistaken on that one?

Well we don't really know yet if he'll become one of the best knights of all time, if we are discussing military prowess. He is set up to becoming one of the best knights by the other qualities a knight should have, though. Not that I don't think that he'll be a good fighter too but I doubt he'll be in the Arthur Dayne/Barristan Selmy/Dragon knight category.

And yes, he beats the Laughing Storm in single combat, but the man was fairly old already at that point, so not at his peak anymore.

On 30/04/2016 at 1:04 PM, Valens said:

Since when was Dany mad? And Ramsay is not a ruler, no matter how much he styles himself as one. ;) Nor will he ever be.

Ever since she ordered the murder of every man over twelve in a conquered city, or that one time when she nailed 163 (possibly innocent) Meereenese noblemen on posts and felt good about it, or maybe even when she watched her (cunt of a) brother get murdered and felt all the emotions a rock would display after being hit by the autumn breeze... maybe since then, maybe before that. Who knows.

Archived