Is Drogon really Meant for Daenerys ?

LucifeLMartelL

I can't shake this feeling that Drogon is not meant for Daenerys, i sometimes even ponder if any of them are meant for her?

I know we have seen her riding Drogon, but I felt it was more in terms of Drogon sensing his mother in danger and coming to her aide and rescuing her instinctively. He let her ride him, his mother, as it was, what was required at the moment. But other wise i don't see her being able to do much with him. Its clear she is not in control of him. I also think Danny's story s one of irony. In spite of it all she will never be the queen of westeros and i don't know if any of her dragons are meant for her. But its her destiny to be the bearer of weapons or these vessels that are going to help her family succeed in their ventures but not her, and that will be her legacy. Perhaps, It will be her brother and nephew/nephews who will eventually do it.

Ofcourse i could be totally wrong about all this and GRRM is know for his strong women characters. So if he this the White maiden got to be riding the black dragon, then so be it. But then i don't see Danny in that light, for me she is almost a bit better than Sansa. The strong women character baton is picked up by Arya and also, i don't see Azor Ahai riding the second best Rhaegal or Viserion.
And by the looks of it if R+L = J and then if J is Azor Ahai then I wouldn't be surprised if the crow with his wolf got to ride the black dragon. And that would be something to behold. Then maybe she will actually bond with Rhaegal and the little lion shall ride Viserion.
And i think because of her inability to make Drogon do pretty much anything and not realizing that he actually is not meant for her, she will settle for Victarion's offer and use dragon binder on Drogon thus severe anything sacred between them, Drogon will be enslaved by her to do her bidding till his true rider Azor ahai arrives and takes him off of her. Danny will have to see her most beloved son go and ... bla bla bla ...
Or perhaps Victarion is going to use dragonbinder to slave either Rhaegal or Viserion or both and hence gaining more bargaining power with Danny, to make her marry him . . .

I would like your two cents on this ... Maybe John will have to settle for Rhaegal , who knows... !?

Dany bonding with Drogon is like Jon bonding with Ghost.  Not everything comes at once and just like he has no one to teach him how to be a warg she has no one to teach her how to be a dragonrider.

There is a great deal in the books about how Drogon is the most dominant of the three dragons and how Dany specifically interacts more with him than the other dragons.  This is all before the first flight which seems to put the issue beyond doubt.  Add the fact that he is named after her husband and a dragon forms a bond with their rider that lasts to that rider's death then, yes, it looks like GRRM is telling us Drogon is really meant for Daenerys.

OP, I had your line of thinking before. Jon is TPTWP and Drogon is Balerion reborn. So they should go together. But it was a bad, bad thing to say to Dany's lovers. So I finally stayed silent about this topic.

But I thought something was wrong, many things are wrong. How Meereen unfolds, Daenerys probable future associates, Dothrakis, Ironborns, sellswords of various repute, and red priests.

Mostly the red priests. I don't think burning people not believing in your god, making human sacrifices, dealing with necromancy, is the message in humanity and generosity GRRM want to pass. Not when I see what Jon, Davos, Sam, maester Aemon, Mance, Donal Noye, Qhorin Halfhand are.

The red priests want the dragons. They see them and their mother as their god's gift / tool  to defeat the Great Other and to conquer the world. Finally, I don't believe anymore having a dragon is a good thing. Not unless something big, unpredicted, happens. In fact, I'm not wanting now to see Jon bonding with any dragon.

19 hours ago, LucifeLMartelL said:

I can't shake this feeling that Drogon is not meant for Daenerys, i sometimes even ponder if any of them are meant for her?

I know we have seen her riding Drogon, but I felt it was more in terms of Drogon sensing his mother in danger and coming to her aide and rescuing her instinctively. He let her ride him, his mother, as it was, what was required at the moment. But other wise i don't see her being able to do much with him. Its clear she is not in control of him. I also think Danny's story s one of irony. In spite of it all she will never be the queen of westeros and i don't know if any of her dragons are meant for her. But its her destiny to be the bearer of weapons or these vessels that are going to help her family succeed in their ventures but not her, and that will be her legacy. Perhaps, It will be her brother and nephew/nephews who will eventually do it.

Ofcourse i could be totally wrong about all this and GRRM is know for his strong women characters. So if he this the White maiden got to be riding the black dragon, then so be it. But then i don't see Danny in that light, for me she is almost a bit better than Sansa. The strong women character baton is picked up by Arya and also, i don't see Azor Ahai riding the second best Rhaegal or Viserion.
And by the looks of it if R+L = J and then if J is Azor Ahai then I wouldn't be surprised if the crow with his wolf got to ride the black dragon. And that would be something to behold. Then maybe she will actually bond with Rhaegal and the little lion shall ride Viserion.
And i think because of her inability to make Drogon do pretty much anything and not realizing that he actually is not meant for her, she will settle for Victarion's offer and use dragon binder on Drogon thus severe anything sacred between them, Drogon will be enslaved by her to do her bidding till his true rider Azor ahai arrives and takes him off of her. Danny will have to see her most beloved son go and ... bla bla bla ...
Or perhaps Victarion is going to use dragonbinder to slave either Rhaegal or Viserion or both and hence gaining more bargaining power with Danny, to make her marry him . . .

I would like your two cents on this ... Maybe John will have to settle for Rhaegal , who knows... !?

Absolutely.  Drogon has a very strong bond with Dany.  There is no way Drogon will let anyone else ride him.  Daenerys is the most important character, and really she is the main character in the story.  It makes sense for her to have the most powerful dragon.  The girl just liberated a half-million slaves.  She is the only one who should get to ride her dragons.  They are her dragons.

1 hour ago, RoamingRonin said:

Drogon is meant for Dany, not Jon. She's not giving him up simply because Drogon is black and Jon is black brother of the Night's Watch.

The poor girl won't have any say after she's dead. 

She has ridden him, and that is pretty much all there is to that bonding business. The dragon-dragonrider bond is permanent as long as the two are alive.

45 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The poor girl won't have any say after she's dead. 

If you expect GRRM to start killing off his main characters before the second half of the ultimate book, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. Dany can die, but if she does, there'll be but a handful of chapters before the end. Enjoy.

5 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

She has ridden him, and that is pretty much all there is to that bonding business. The dragon-dragonrider bond is permanent as long as the two are alive.

If you expect GRRM to start killing off his main characters before the second half of the ultimate book, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. Dany can die, but if she does, there'll be but a handful of chapters before the end. Enjoy.

As long as he writes the damn thing I won't be disappointed. Besides, I don't have any lemon trees outside my window. I would be very, very surprised, though, if Daenerys is not a red herring for the prince that was promised. 

If you check the books there are a lot of hints in that direction, most notably:

- Dany dreams of a dragon looking like Drogon even before the dragon eggs hatched.

- She named Drogon after her own husband, who was the love of her life at that time.

- Dany's bond with Drogon was always the strongest - she took him inside the House of the Undying where he saved her life, it was him she used as a weapon against the Astapori slavers.

- And finally, Daenerys claimed Drogon as her own dragon in Daznak's Pit, and has bonded with him (or is in the process of bonding with him).

Circumstantial evidence is even more interesting considering that the original outline had only one dragon - Dany's dragon - not three. And Dany's original dragon dream featuring only a dragon looking like Drogon might actually be from that early period of George's writing.

In fact, one could actually ask the question whether Jon Snow will ever be a dragonrider. Not every Targaryen prince or king had a dragon, after all, and he is a very bad position to get access to any of Dany's dragons while they are still unclaimed or riderless. 

The skinchanging idea is very problematic considering that there are no hints that there ever were skinchangers controlling dragons - and one should expect that such stories existed considering that skinchanger-controlled dragons would have ideal and devastating weapons in the hands of the Children against the First Men. All their weapons and their abilities to procreate faster than the Children wouldn't have saved the First Men had the Children sent a few scores of fire-breathing dragons against them.

If Dany dies during the books I somehow expect this to occur in battle against the Others. Her own dream pretty much indicated that she will lead an army against the Others - and she will most likely do this on dragonback. If she fails, like Rhaegar did, then Drogon will most likely die with her. If you check the Dance then most of the dragons died alongside their riders if they were together when they died (Meleys/Rhaenys, Vhagar/Aemond, Caraxes/Daemon - assuming Daemon died -, Vermax/Jace, Arrax/Luke, etc.).

Jon Snow just isn't set up as the last scion of House Targaryen. Dany is. And she is also set up as the last hope of her house. Whatever that means. Anyone imagining Dany and Jon Snow being on different sides when they finally meet also seems to make little sense. We have Aegon for that, after all.

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If you check the books there are a lot of hints in that direction, most notably:

- Dany dreams of a dragon looking like Drogon even before the dragon eggs hatched.

- She named Drogon after her own husband, who was the love of her life at that time.

- Dany's bond with Drogon was always the strongest - she took him inside the House of the Undying where he saved her life, it was him she used as a weapon against the Astapori slavers.

- And finally, Daenerys claimed Drogon as her own dragon in Daznak's Pit, and has bonded with him (or is in the process of bonding with him).

Circumstantial evidence is even more interesting considering that the original outline had only one dragon - Dany's dragon - not three. And Dany's original dragon dream featuring only a dragon looking like Drogon might actually be from that early period of George's writing.

In fact, one could actually ask the question whether Jon Snow will ever be a dragonrider. Not every Targaryen prince or king had a dragon, after all, and he is a very bad position to get access to any of Dany's dragons while they are still unclaimed or riderless. 

The skinchanging idea is very problematic considering that there are no hints that there ever were skinchangers controlling dragons - and one should expect that such stories existed considering that skinchanger-controlled dragons would have ideal and devastating weapons in the hands of the Children against the First Men. All their weapons and their abilities to procreate faster than the Children wouldn't have saved the First Men had the Children sent a few scores of fire-breathing dragons against them.

If Dany dies during the books I somehow expect this to occur in battle against the Others. Her own dream pretty much indicated that she will lead an army against the Others - and she will most likely do this on dragonback. If she fails, like Rhaegar did, then Drogon will most likely die with her. If you check the Dance then most of the dragons died alongside their riders if they were together when they died (Meleys/Rhaenys, Vhagar/Aemond, Caraxes/Daemon - assuming Daemon died -, Vermax/Jace, Arrax/Luke, etc.).

Jon Snow just isn't set up as the last scion of House Targaryen. Dany is. And she is also set up as the last hope of her house. Whatever that means. Anyone imagining Dany and Jon Snow being on different sides when they finally meet also seems to make little sense. We have Aegon for that, after all.

Actually there is.

The first Ser Artys Arryn supposedly rode upon a huge falcon (possibly a distorted memory of dragonriders seen from afar, Archmaester Perestan suggests). Armies of eagles fought at his command. To win the Vale, he flew to the top of the Giant’s Lance and slew the Griffin King. He counted giants and merlings amongst his friends, and wed a woman of the children of the forest, though she died giving birth to his son.

This sounds like a skinchanger dragonrider to me.

5 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Are we sure that Ghost is really meant to be Jon's direwolf? I have this personal theory that he is really meant for Dany. 

Dany has silver hair. Ghost is white. White is very close to silver. Ghost for Dany, confirmed!

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Dany has silver hair. Ghost is white. White is very close to silver. Ghost for Dany, confirmed!

Don't forget Dany's Dothraki horse, Silver, which shows she is able to develop strong bonds with white furred animals.

6 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

Actually there is.

This sounds like a skinchanger dragonrider to me.

Nope, Yandel is citing an Archmaester who is clearly talking about a Valyrian dragonrider there because the story of the Falcon Knight only came up after the Arryns took over the Vale - but by that Valyria had already risen to prominence and power, and Valyrian dragonlords most likely had already been seen by the First Men of Westeros one way or another (and the Andals who came to Westeros and the Arryn kings who wanted to hear songs about their famous fairy-tale ancestor may even have had clashes with the dragonlords in the past).

But actually I'd doubt that Perestan is right with his theory about the Falcon Knight being inspired by a dragonrider at all. The idea of a huge bird being ridden by a great hero isn't exactly anything that has to be driven from any real world scenario. People can just come up with that kind of thing because it sounds cool and the Arryn sigil shows a falcon. That this kind of things still works is amply proven by young Lord Robert Arryn.

2 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Don't forget Dany's Dothraki horse, Silver, which shows she is able to develop strong bonds with white furred animals.

Nope, Ghost belongs to Bloodraven. They share colors completely - Jon Snow has neither a right nor the ability to ever fully bond with Ghost!

Archived