Is Drogon really Meant for Daenerys ?

LucifeLMartelL

40 minutes ago, ASOIAF_Ali said:

This is pretty much what I came to say. If Jon rides Drogon, I'm done with the series. 

Well, if he does, it will most likely happen near the end, so you'll just have a few hundred more pages to read. 

27 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, come on, that fact alone could make some sense - say, if Dany dies prior to the great finale (which is very unlikely) - but the ridiculous idea that Jon Snow is somehow going to steal or take Drogon away from Daenerys is ridiculous. Stuff like that isn't going to happen, those are ideas brought and pushed forward by certain people in the fandom who favor certain characters over others and want the story serve their needs in that department rather than let it flow the way it does.

Jon becoming a dragonrider might actually never happen. He is physically very far removed from the dragons and if they all have riders of their own or if he never meets them, or if the other dragons die because they can meet him he'll never get a dragon. Whatever he's going to do for the time being is going to be based on 'lesser magic' (i.e. magic not involving dragons) - and that in and of itself is a pretty big hint that Jon Snow alone is not going to be saving mankind from the Others.

I agree that the only way Jon rides Drogon is if Daenerys die (damn lemon tree). 

What difference does it make how far away Jon is currently from the current locations of the dragons? All we have to assume is that the plot will bring them to some proximity. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I agree that the only way Jon rides Drogon is if Daenerys die (damn lemon tree). 

What difference does it make how far away Jon is currently from the current locations of the dragons? All we have to assume is that the plot will bring them to some proximity. 

Because we can be reasonably sure right now that either Brown Ben Plumm, Tyrion, Victarion, or possibly even Moqorro becomes a dragonrider in the near future because they have both the potential or the means and the opportunity due to be physically close to the dragons.

Sure, the plot could bring Jon close to the dragons but we right now we have no hint if/when this is going to happen. And Jon's genuine heroic destiny might actually not include him riding a dragon. He could just become some resurrected hero with a burning sword leading an army, or something like that. That would be fine, too.

43 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, come on, that fact alone could make some sense - say, if Dany dies prior to the great finale (which is very unlikely) - but the ridiculous idea that Jon Snow is somehow going to steal or take Drogon away from Daenerys is ridiculous. Stuff like that isn't going to happen, those are ideas brought and pushed forward by certain people in the fandom who favor certain characters over others and want the story serve their needs in that department rather than let it flow the way it does.

Jon becoming a dragonrider might actually never happen. He is physically very far removed from the dragons and if they all have riders of their own or if he never meets them, or if the other dragons die because they can meet him he'll never get a dragon. Whatever he's going to do for the time being is going to be based on 'lesser magic' (i.e. magic not involving dragons) - and that in and of itself is a pretty big hint that Jon Snow alone is not going to be saving mankind from the Others.

Well said. I agree entirely with your post. I'm not a massive Dany fan or anything, but I just hate the view that some posters seem to have that Dany will die just so that Jon can have Drogon, or that Drogon is somehow meant for Jon. I could live with Jon riding one of the other dragons, but Drogon, after he's already bonded with Dany just doesn't make any sense imho. 

Obviously if Dany did die, (for a reason better than 'so Jon can ride Drogon), and then Jon rode Drogon after that, I'd be cool with it, but the idea that Dany will die just so that Jon can have Drogon is ridiculous to me. 

58 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Yup, and I am a Jon fangirl. I love him, he is my favourite character, with only sansa coming close. And I'm not fussed on Dany at all. But this is totally BS. I read the OP and cringed. 

Just nope. Drogon is her Dragon. End of. Jon may not even ride one at all. He might, sure but there isn't yet to me at least any compelling evidence to suggest it. 

Yeah don't get me wrong I like Jon too.  He's a good dude!  He's definitely one of the Big Three and absolutely essential to the conflict to come.  But he's not the only damn character in the saga.  

Plus, there are three perfectly dragons.  If Jon gets one (which I think he will), why Drogon?  Either Viserion or Rhaegal also have potential links.  There's literally  no reason other than "I don't like Dany so she doesn't deserve Be a dragonlord".  

Btw I'm not ruling it out entirely.  If Daenerys dies after being Drogons rider for some time then sure!  But that hardly means that Drogon was not hers.  Vhaegar was 100% Visenyas...  While she lived.  Later it had other riders, and was 100% theirs at those times.  ADWD tells us this for a reason - part of that was GRRM communicating that you don't just take someone's dragon because you're "better".

5 minutes ago, ASOIAF_Ali said:

Well said. I agree entirely with your post. I'm not a massive Dany fan or anything, but I just hate the view that some posters seem to have that Dany will die just so that Jon can have Drogon, or that Drogon is somehow meant for Jon. I could live with Jon riding one of the other dragons, but Drogon, after he's already bonded with Dany just doesn't make any sense imho. 

Obviously if Dany did die, (for a reason better than 'so Jon can ride Drogon), and then Jon rode Drogon after that, I'd be cool with it, but the idea that Dany will die just so that Jon can have Drogon is ridiculous to me. 

Yeah, one would expect that George could find another way to make Jon Snow a dragonrider if he wanted to make him one - say, like, giving him a dragon egg hatch he could hatch for himself like Dany did.

And the idea that Dany and Jon Snow are set up to be antagonists or enemies also makes no sense whatsoever. They are aunt and nephew, after all, and would most likely have a lot of common enemies they could ally against even if they had not to deal with the Others (which they do).

Perhaps if Jon and Dany had the same gender - both being female or both being male - there would be a small chance for them becoming enemies but Dany and Jon could easily heal any rift between them and their supporters (if Jon ever has any followers supporting his claim to the Iron Throne at all) just by marrying each other. And if both of them survive and there are no artificial obstacles preventing such an outcome that's most likely what's going to happen. Aegon-Dany most likely won't be able to marry because both will already have married by the time Dany has arrived in Westeros.

In a marriage with Daenerys Jon Snow most likely would be forced into the role of a mere Prince Consort because Dany has already established herself as a Queen Regnant and most likely will take the Iron Throne as such before she ever meets Jon Snow.

7 minutes ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Yeah don't get me wrong I like Jon too.  He's a good dude!  He's definitely one of the Big Three and absolutely essential to the conflict to come.  But he's not the only damn character in the saga.  

Plus, there are three perfectly dragons.  If Jon gets one (which I think he will), why Drogon?  Either Viserion or Rhaegal also have potential links.  There's literally  no reason other than "I don't like Dany so she doesn't deserve Be a dragonlord".  

Btw I'm not ruling it out entirely.  If Daenerys dies after being Drogons rider for some time then sure!  But that hardly means that Drogon was not hers.  Vhaegar was 100% Visenyas...  While she lived.  Later it had other riders, and was 100% theirs at those times.  ADWD tells us this for a reason - part of that was GRRM communicating that you don't just take someone's dragon because you're "better".

Yup. I( actually think Drogon is the lamest dragon name of the three, and my favourite Dragon is Rhaegal. Even if s/he did roast Quentyn. But alas I think fAegon will get Rhaegal, and we will have the Greens & the Blacks once again. 

Leaving Viserion for Jon IF and it is a big IF he gets a Dragon at all. Though tbh I kinda feel Viserion is Tyrions. I was never a big A+J=T fan, it crossed my mind on my first read, but the level of fandoration for it put me off. But those hints in TWOIAF, well. And Viserion is named for Dany's brother...And if it is true Tyrion is her brother.  

I hate the idea Dany doesn't deserve to be a Dragonlord idea. Just shut the fuck up with that BS. 

I absolutely agree, TP&TQ and TRP absolutely was a HUGE info drop on Dragonlore. 

One thing oft missed is the exception to the rule of a Dragon only has one rider at a time, or a rider can only ever ride one dragon though. Is Joffrey Valaryon. Who though some say he didn't ride her successfully, Did indeed manage to mount and ride Syrax inorder to attempt to save his own Dragon Tyraxes and the others in the Dragon pit. Falling from her back as he didn't saddle her properly in his haste to reach them. 

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

See, I doubt very much that The George is writing a fantasy saga in which three dragon riding heros will join to fight the evil orcs... er, Others. The dragons will dance, and where they dance, the people, and at least one dragon, will die. 

Agreed Lady Teora.  That was kinda my point - figuring out which dragon(s) will die, which dragon(s) will have multiple riders, how or which dragon(s) will get to Westeros all based only on the text makes my head hurt.  But that's just me.  It seems as if a lot of it is predicated on which dragons with which riders will be there for the final giant orc battle, then using backward induction from there.

I believe Dany is AA and will eventually gain full control of Drogon.

The OP has a point though ...

When Dany wanted to buy the Unsullied, Drogon burnt her enemies at a word of command.

But now, Drogon doesn't take much notice of her; indeed in the pit he came close to burning her alive - her control over him has gone backwards.

So what is missing?  The OP explains it by saying Dany is just not the right rider for Drogon, another rider is needed.

If not that, then what?

15 hours ago, Springwatch said:

I believe Dany is AA and will eventually gain full control of Drogon.

The OP has a point though ...

When Dany wanted to buy the Unsullied, Drogon burnt her enemies at a word of command.

But now, Drogon doesn't take much notice of her; indeed in the pit he came close to burning her alive - her control over him has gone backwards.

So what is missing?  The OP explains it by saying Dany is just not the right rider for Drogon, another rider is needed.

If not that, then what?

Drogon was furious with her in Danzak's Pit.  But, he submitted to her, and she rode him.  So, there will be no other rider during Dany's lifetime.

I personally think that the problem with this forum ist that it over-analyzes things and seeks hidden truths and secrets everywhere. Daenerys rode Drogon and as we know about the Targaryen and their dragons only with the death of the previous rider will a dragon accept a new one. So it obvious that Drogon is Deanerys' Dragon even if somebody does not like it that is the truth and i think it as a mistake to see things differently. It happened, it is a fact and there is no changing that. Drogon is also her dead husband's name so the dragon obviously was meant from the beginning to be hers and hers alone.

On 4/30/2016 at 11:54 PM, LucifeLMartelL said:

I can't shake this feeling that Drogon is not meant for Daenerys, i sometimes even ponder if any of them are meant for her?

I know we have seen her riding Drogon, but I felt it was more in terms of Drogon sensing his mother in danger and coming to her aide and rescuing her instinctively. He let her ride him, his mother, as it was, what was required at the moment. But other wise i don't see her being able to do much with him. Its clear she is not in control of him. I also think Danny's story s one of irony. In spite of it all she will never be the queen of westeros and i don't know if any of her dragons are meant for her. But its her destiny to be the bearer of weapons or these vessels that are going to help her family succeed in their ventures but not her, and that will be her legacy. Perhaps, It will be her brother and nephew/nephews who will eventually do it.

Ofcourse i could be totally wrong about all this and GRRM is know for his strong women characters. So if he this the White maiden got to be riding the black dragon, then so be it. But then i don't see Danny in that light, for me she is almost a bit better than Sansa. The strong women character baton is picked up by Arya and also, i don't see Azor Ahai riding the second best Rhaegal or Viserion.
And by the looks of it if R+L = J and then if J is Azor Ahai then I wouldn't be surprised if the crow with his wolf got to ride the black dragon. And that would be something to behold. Then maybe she will actually bond with Rhaegal and the little lion shall ride Viserion.
And i think because of her inability to make Drogon do pretty much anything and not realizing that he actually is not meant for her, she will settle for Victarion's offer and use dragon binder on Drogon thus severe anything sacred between them, Drogon will be enslaved by her to do her bidding till his true rider Azor ahai arrives and takes him off of her. Danny will have to see her most beloved son go and ... bla bla bla ...
Or perhaps Victarion is going to use dragonbinder to slave either Rhaegal or Viserion or both and hence gaining more bargaining power with Danny, to make her marry him . . .

I would like your two cents on this ... Maybe John will have to settle for Rhaegal , who knows... !?

I can't believe no one has said this ..

If you think drogon came to save dany and let her ride sensing she is in danger ..

Then iam afraid you have to start reading the books ..

Have you guys ever wondered that Jon is not AAr or Tptwp 

Iam a Jon fan myself ..I started in this forum with the name jon rhaegar stark ..

It seems lot of Jon fanboysim and dany hate  is just a envy and jealous towards dany being more magical and achieved more greater things and done more things than of Jon and on top of that she is riding the one largest dragon and Jon as the special snowflake he is can't have the anything smaller or have a second hand role to dany. .

And hence these theories about how he will rise from funeral pyre like dany or he will ride drogon or he will ride another big dragon that doesn't seem to exist is all cominv from  based out of pure envy towards dany . I can't stop laughing  at after years of dissing dany's pyre moment crying foul for Jon not having the type of the moment in the show.  

And I don't even want to get into the whole dany don't deserve drogon or other two dragons..

On May 3, 2016 at 6:07 AM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think it is the exploded second moon. From which Dragons came. 

In my new podcast (link in my signature) I dissected the Oberyn vs Mountain fight, and it turns out the sun-spear of the sun warrior was cited in black oil - or is it poison? Point being, the sun's big ass spear is an oily black blade. I also discovered that comet nuclei are actually coated in black grease, which scientists just call "space gunk." It's extremely black and dark. So yeah. Lightbringer is the sun's sword, and whether we are talking about Lightbringer the comet or Lightbringer the sword, that mofo is an oily black blade. I believe what George is showing us is that this poisonous black Lightbringer comet poisoned the moon, and the exploded moon rocks were black and oily as well. In turn, it seems like the oily black moon meteors transformed the rock of the places they landed, poisoning them. Asshai has too much stone to all be pure meteorite ore, you know? But when meteors fall through the atmosphere, they push a wave of superheated air in front of them which is hot enough to melt stone. Also, if a meteor lands on bedrock, the meteorite basically vaporizes / disintegrates and fuses with the bedrock. So picture a falling meteor, magically toxic, pushing a firestorm in front of it, incarnating everything and poisoning the land where it impacts. I think this explains Asshai quite nicely. There must be an evil black meteor at the heart of the Shadowlands. Perhaps in the heart of winter as well, who knows.  

On 5/3/2016 at 5:51 AM, ASOIAF_Ali said:

This is pretty much what I came to say. If Jon rides Drogon, I'm done with the series. 

Same. The amount of plot armor he has is already barely tolerable. King Jon I Targaryen, first of his name and Father of dragons/real 'dragon' and rider of Balerion reborn will make me throw the series out.

1 hour ago, Drogonthedread said:

I can't believe no one has said this ..

If you think drogon came to save dany and let her ride sensing she is in danger ..

Then iam afraid you have to start reading the books ..

Have you guys ever wondered that Jon is not AAr or Tptwp 

Iam a Jon fan myself ..I started in this forum with the name jon rhaegar stark ..

It seems lot of Jon fanboysim and dany hate  is just a envy and jealous towards dany being more magical and achieved more greater things and done more things than of Jon and on top of that she is riding the one largest dragon and Jon as the special snowflake he is can't have the anything smaller or have a second hand role to dany. .

And hence these theories about how he will rise from funeral pyre like dany or he will ride drogon or he will ride another big dragon that doesn't seem to exist is all cominv from  based out of pure envy towards dany . I can't stop laughing  at after years of dissing dany's pyre moment crying foul for Jon not having the type of the moment in the show.  

And I don't even want to get into the whole dany don't deserve drogon or other two dragons..

Well yes i have finished reading it and mayhaps i might have taken a Jon fanboy stance :) but to be honest all of us wish every now and then -"wish it was like this , wish it was like that" But at the end of the day i really don't care if GRRM make Ramsey Bolton to be Azor Ahai, as long as he does it in a convincing way, that make me go "OMG, Wow !" I'm game for it. He can take another 2 years finishing TWOW for all i care, i'll wait for i know it will be sweet.

Its not that i hate Dany, but feel she is not pulling her weight, i wish she was more decisive, i just always feel she gets into things unprepared and then everything is going to shambles as expected. All this in spite of her having good council around her all the time. She has people flocking to her all the time, aiding her with council, and i understand how difficult it must be trusting them. Its unfortunate that Quaithe asked her to trust no one coz i don't see her cutting it on her own.
Her treatment of Quentyn and her unrealistic expectation of the Dornish, in fact the only thing she has not screwed up in the entire series is birthing those dragons, but then she eventually ends up mistreating them too. Guess i'm just tired of waiting that she will get her shit together, that's all.  Mayhaps it will be worthwhile when she does.

And its not like GRRM cannot write a character that you feel deserves it , he has clearly done it for many other characters. And that is what makes me question what he has in store for Dany. That is why i get the feeling she will be like a facilitator for the next generation of Targaryens ( Like the proper little AUNTy she is ! :P )

8 hours ago, Jaehaerys Targaryen said:

I personally think that the problem with this forum ist that it over-analyzes things and seeks hidden truths and secrets everywhere. Daenerys rode Drogon and as we know about the Targaryen and their dragons only with the death of the previous rider will a dragon accept a new one. So it obvious that Drogon is Deanerys' Dragon even if somebody does not like it that is the truth and i think it as a mistake to see things differently. It happened, it is a fact and there is no changing that. Drogon is also her dead husband's name so the dragon obviously was meant from the beginning to be hers and hers alone.

I agree, but I also think that The George "meant" for Drogon to be ridden by another after he offs the lemon tree gal. 

Archived