female heirs and their husbands

We don't know, but Ser Balman Byrch - the husband of Falyse Stokeworth - did not take her name despite the fact that he was married to the heir of Stokeworth. Laenor Velaryon also kept his own distinguished family name instead of taking the Targaryen name.

18 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Laenor Velaryon also kept his own distinguished family name instead of taking the Targaryen name.

I always wanted to ask, if Jacaerys Velaryon ascended peacefully to the throne, would he change his name? Vielen Dank im Voraus.

32 minutes ago, Arystan said:

I always wanted to ask, if Jacaerys Velaryon ascended peacefully to the throne, would he change his name?

I'm not sure. In that time the Velaryon name was as prestigious as the Targaryen name and considering that Jace would have been the (legal) son of Laenor Velaryon - who would have been the rightful heir to the Iron Throne from the Velaryon point of view - and the grandson of the famous Seasnake.

I'd not be surprised if he had gone with the Velaryon name.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm not sure. In that time the Velaryon name was as prestigious as the Targaryen name and considering that Jace would have been the (legal) son of Laenor Velaryon - who would have been the rightful heir to the Iron Throne from the Velaryon point of view - and the grandson of the famous Seasnake.

I'd not be surprised if he had gone with the Velaryon name.

Thanks, so it depends, which name is more prestigious.. But for example we have Cersei, who eventually became the Lady of Casterly Rock. Tommen and Myrcella are her heirs, but they're Baratheons and belong to the royal family, so what would they do? And I'm confused with Rhea Royce, who was the Lady of Runestone. I wondered, if she had children from Daemon Targaryen, which name they would take? 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

The rules about last names seem pretty unclear. (Cersei Lannister but Catelyn Stark?) People may just be allowed to choose which they prefer. 

I always thought that's because Cersei is the queen and queens don't change their name. We don't have any queens, who took Targaryen name as well.

5 hours ago, Arystan said:

Thanks, so it depends, which name is more prestigious.. But for example we have Cersei, who eventually became the Lady of Casterly Rock. Tommen and Myrcella are her heirs, but they're Baratheons and belong to the royal family, so what would they do? And I'm confused with Rhea Royce, who was the Lady of Runestone. I wondered, if she had children from Daemon Targaryen, which name they would take? 

I always thought that's because Cersei is the queen and queens don't change their name. We don't have any queens, who took Targaryen name as well.

Well, I guess the names of consorts are not really changed in this society. Not in the legal way a marriage changes the family name in our world in most societies I know. The wife a lord becomes Lady [insert husband's house name] upon the marriage but that doesn't mean that her name changes in any legally documented sense. She is now the mistress of her husband's castle and therefore bears his name.

Queens seem to be different because they are addressed and mostly styled on a first name basis whereas it seems to be perfectly speak of a the wife of a lord as 'Lady Stark', 'Lady Arryn', and so forth (although the first name basis remains in direct conversation as many examples attest).

But with the queens there is no 'Queen Targaryen' kind of thing like there is with 'Lady Stark'. In that sense the queens do not seem to be often referred to by the house names of their husbands - at least not in the books we have read so far.

However, I'd not be surprised one bit if all those queens - especially those bearing less prestigious names - would have made a point that there were now Targaryens after they had married a prince or king. I could easily see Alys Harroway, or Alicent Hightower call themselves Targaryen both in private and in public (and those Targaryen queens with Targaryen blood like Aemma Arryn or Aelinor Penrose might have changed their names, too) whereas the Velaryon queens might not have bothered at all, being Valyrian themselves.

The fact that Yandel and Gyldayn refer to the queens by their birth names could just be a historian's convention to ensure that people do not get confused. After all, many Targaryen queens in the history of the house were born as Targaryens so referring to those queens who only married into the house could easily confuse the reader and make him suspect incest marriages where there were none.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-05-01 at 9:10 PM, Padraig O'Sullivan said:

I'm just wondering when Anya Waynwood or Arwyn Oakheart married, did their husbands take on their names as well to keep the name going or did they marry some male cousin down the succession chain. Just wondering?

I think that women to a start has some leeway in what name they are using and that female heirs probably, usually, keep or re-take their maiden names given the fact that they are inhereting due to their relation to the House of their birth while a woman who gains a ladyship through their husband, like Barbra Dustin or the last Lady Hornwood, often keeps the name of her husband given that its that link through which she makes her claim.

On 2016-05-01 at 9:10 PM, Padraig O'Sullivan said:

I'm just wondering when Anya Waynwood or Arwyn Oakheart married, did their husbands take on their names as well to keep the name going or did they marry some male cousin down the succession chain. Just wondering?

They most likely did a matrilineal marriage.

As far as I am aware there were marriages in the middle ages that were on the condition that the husband would assume the name and arms of the father-in-law. In Westeros, this seems to be even more common than in our world, like Bronn aka Lord Stokeworth.

• 2 months later...
On 1.5.2016 at 8:10 PM, Padraig O'Sullivan said:

I think female heirs often marry males of the same dynasty. I am not sure that martilineal marriage is a thing in Westeros.

Well we do know that the Lannisters and the Starks were at different point continued trhough the female line with husbands taking the more prestigious name of their wives.

On 03/05/2016 at 5:47 AM, Arystan said:

Thanks, so it depends, which name is more prestigious.. But for example we have Cersei, who eventually became the Lady of Casterly Rock. Tommen and Myrcella are her heirs, but they're Baratheons and belong to the royal family, so what would they do?

According to GRRM himself, it would be possible for a theoretical, second son of Tommen to choose the Lannister name and banner when he becomes Lord of Casterly Rock.

On 5/2/2016 at 11:38 AM, Arystan said:

I always wanted to ask, if Jacaerys Velaryon ascended peacefully to the throne, would he change his name? Vielen Dank im Voraus.

The title comes with the name these things are often brought up and confusing but it is my belief that if you are the heir of a certain title you inherit the name with the title. One great example is the Hornwood land, Bran has several claims put forth one of which would see the only legit heir through the female line change his name to Hornwood.

• 2 months later...

Archived