Ramsay's Gift

27 minutes ago, Punting on the Honeywine said:

Fake Rickon would be great.  In the trailer I didn't recognise the banners of the guys riding up to Winterfell.  

Edit:  I think the guy Ramsay is talking to looks like Small Jon:

http://watchersonthewall.com/smalljon-umber-cast/

The banners are Umber, on the show it's a round chain link with 4 chains going outward from it.

1 hour ago, Tony Inchpractice said:

Might be the Blackfish. I really hope not, though.

Doubt it, show Blackfish has no obvious reason to be there, nor does Ramsay have any particular use for him (sure, he could probably trade him to the Freys or the Iron Throne for something, but if that was the case the Umbers would just do that themselves). Plus, the season trailers show Jaime galloping through an army camp, which I'm going to guess is the Siege of Riverrun.

Rickon seems the most obvious answer, sadly. From the show's perspective, at least, he's a fairly disposable character, and we know he's at the Last Hearth, and that he and Osha do appear in this season.

Who else could it be? I suppose it could be Sansa, but again, season trailers show her free and bearing the Stark sigil, so unless they're going to have her capture and escape again, it's not her. Could be Theon - but if he's trying to reach the Iron Islands, Last Hearth is completely the wrong direction, and Umber men would not likely be routinely patrolling that far south. A surprisingly alive Stannis? Again, could be, but what's the point in revealing he's alive only to kill him for real (especially since if Stannis is alive, it's been guarded even better than Jon's revival, which is more significant). More likely would be Stannis' corpse - but again, why would the show guard that so much by not formally casting Stephen Dillane?

Just now, Anarcho said:

A surprisingly alive Stannis? Again, could be, but what's the point in revealing he's alive only to kill him for real (especially since if Stannis is alive, it's been guarded even better than Jon's revival, which is more significant). More likely would be Stannis' corpse - but again, why would the show guard that so much by not formally casting Stephen Dillane?

Didn't Roose and Ramsey already talk about Stannis being dead? That they didn't know who struck the final blow but he was dead?

I suppose it could be a fake Rickon, though. Unlike Book Ramsay, Show Ramsay wasn't at Winterfell during Theon's rule, and never appears to have been there before that (Theon clearly had never met him), so he probably has no idea what Bran and Rickon look like.

3 minutes ago, DireGhost said:

Didn't Roose and Ramsey already talk about Stannis being dead? That they didn't know who struck the final blow but he was dead?

True, but I thought they could just be assuming that. It's possible they just couldn't be bothered to show a corpse, but on the other hand Brienne might have buried it - as much as she hated Stannis, she doesn't seem the kind of person to just leave his body for the Boltons to find and defile.

Only reason I can find against it being Rickon (or at least real Rickon) is that if the Umbers were going to turn Rickon over, what's taken them so long? Why didn't they just hand him over to Roose as soon as he arrived back in the North, or at least when he set up at WInterfell? Then again, could just be the show not planning enough to work out that pacing.

45 minutes ago, Anarcho said:

Could be Theon - but if he's trying to reach the Iron Islands, Last Hearth is completely the wrong direction, and Umber men would not likely be routinely patrolling that far south. 

Theon did not say that he was going to the Iron Islands. Just that he was going Home. He also said this right after talking about how much he owed to the starks. The show going right to the II after he said that could be a misdirection. 

Not sure of book spoiler rules so... 

Spoiler

Theon going to the Iron Islands for the Kings Moot would be a HUGE departure from the book. There is no reason for him to go there anyway. They just introduced Euron/Victarion (who is prob the person in the trailer). What purpose would he serve there?

It makes much more sense in his redemption arc for him to go avenge his sins against the Stark family. 

It was never said the Umbers were on the side of the Boltons, just that they had a large army. And the Umbers would know Theon and Theon them. 

Spoiler

The book also has a big conspiracy against the Boltons, that would make more sense to bring into the show then all of a sudden bringing Rickon in. 

I have always thought that the only reason Rickon was written into the story, is so at the end of the whole thing there is a Male Stark to have at Winterfell. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Greggor the Baked said:

Theon did not say that he was going to the Iron Islands. Just that he was going Home. He also said this right after talking about how much he owed to the starks. The show going right to the II after he said that could be a misdirection. 

Not sure of book spoiler rules so... 

Hide contents

Theon going to the Iron Islands for the Kings Moot would be a HUGE departure from the book. There is no reason for him to go there anyway. They just introduced Euron/Victarion (who is prob the person in the trailer). What purpose would he serve there?

It makes much more sense in his redemption arc for him to go avenge his sins against the Stark family. 

It was never said the Umbers were on the side of the Boltons, just that they had a large army. And the Umbers would know Theon and Theon them. 

Hide contents

The book also has a big conspiracy against the Boltons, that would make more sense to bring into the show then all of a sudden bringing Rickon in. 

I have always thought that the only reason Rickon was written into the story, is so at the end of the whole thing there is a Male Stark to have at Winterfell. 

You're looking for an in depth interpretation of what's going on in the North. This show does not have time for that, nor the desire. Look at the rate things are being wrapped up and people are being killed off. The Umbers show up next episode with a gift? Rickon is with the Umbers per show cannon. Ramsay has a trailer voiceover that says "do you like games little man" and we know the show loves to hammer us over the head again and again how "bad" Ramsay is. Bet a paycheck on it.

15 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

You're looking for an in depth interpretation of what's going on in the North. This show does not have time for that, nor the desire. Look at the rate things are being wrapped up and people are being killed off. The Umbers show up next episode with a gift? Rickon is with the Umbers per show cannon. Ramsay has a trailer voiceover that says "do you like games little man" and we know the show loves to hammer us over the head again and again how "bad" Ramsay is. Bet a paycheck on it.

They have also hammered us over the head with the North remembers and how they need a Stark to control it. Setting up a conspiracy does not take a lot of time. In fact, not setting it up would make for a better TV surprise. Make it look like the Umbers have turned sides and then at the end they come back around and turn on the Boltons. 

I can see it being Rickon, but I can also see it being Theon. The only thing I know for sure is this will be a long week. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Greggor the Baked said:

They have also hammered us over the head with the North remembers and how they need a Stark to control it. Setting up a conspiracy does not take a lot of time. In fact, not setting it up would make for a better TV surprise. Make it look like the Umbers have turned sides and then at the end they come back around and turn on the Boltons. 

I can see it being Rickon, but I can also see it being Theon. The only thing I know for sure is this will be a long week. 

One old lady mentioned the North remembers hardly comparable to the sheer wealth of torture and murder we've seen Ramsay behind. There were two castings, one for Umber and another for a lord with a rousing speech who switches allegiances...there's possibly a Mandrely-esque conspiracy/betrayal there.

There's also filming spoilers that have Theon not in the north.

I can only see this being Rickon. Putting Rickon in harm's way from episode 3 to 9 would be a way to keep the threat of Ramsay alive to the audience. Just putting myself in the show writer's shoes and not as a book fan, Ramsay just killed off and lost everyone in his reach that the audience is going to worry about. Ramsay always works best as a character when he has power over someone the audience likes or has sympathy for. Ramsay's supporting cast in his little micro story just lost Theon, Sansa, and Fat Walda. Hell, even Roose and his little mistress are gone. Who is left in Winterfell for Ramsay to even have SCENES with? His master? The new Karstark lord? Not much to build scenes around for the season.

From a writer's perspective, it makes sense to give him Rickon and maybe Osha to play off of in scenes for a few episodes.

What really matters is if they are going to die in episode 609 or not. At least for the endgame. If Rickon is not going to be the lord of Winterfell at the end of the series (like I always assumed he would), then it leaves only Bran to carry on the family name. And now suddenly they are talking about how Bran was never going to stay in the cave forever as if it's a given that he has another physical journey ahead of him. Hmm...

As for why Theon doesn't make sense...he just left Winterfell after being captive there for 3 seasons. His story isn't just to go back there. If it was to be some redemptive suicide strike, I could only see it if we were closer to episode 9 than we are. Too many episodes between now and that for this to be Theon that's the "gift". His story was always going to be going back to the Iron Islands, just like it is in the book. That's why they set up the whole Kingsmoot idea.

Archived