Speculation : TV show vs what the books will be II

Howdyphillip

I have to be brief in my comments here today, as I just don't have a lot of time for a full breakdown right now. I did however enjoy the discussion last week, and there is a lot of meat in this episode to chew on the subject. I will be back later with more observations, but for now.

1. Yes, we all had assumed that Jon Snow would be somehow bought back. I personally believe that it will be Melisandre that brings him back in the books, although I still think that we will also see a warg into Ghost. Also, Davos will also not be there to give a speech that is out of character.

2. Ramsey kills Roose - I actually think that this might be a show only event.

3. Tyrion and the dragons - Shades of Quentyn. I almost expected a sneak attack that Tyrion somehow survived. I think that in both show and book Tyrion will turn out to be a dragon rider.

4. Bran - It seems obvious now that his visions will reveal R+L=J. I am still thinking in the books we will find out through Howland Reed. 

2 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have to be brief in my comments here today, as I just don't have a lot of time for a full breakdown right now. I did however enjoy the discussion last week, and there is a lot of meat in this episode to chew on the subject. I will be back later with more observations, but for now.

1. Yes, we all had assumed that Jon Snow would be somehow bought back. I personally believe that it will be Melisandre that brings him back in the books, although I still think that we will also see a warg into Ghost. Also, Davos will also not be there to give a speech that is out of character.

2. Ramsey kills Roose - I actually think that this might be a show only event.

3. Tyrion and the dragons - Shades of Quentyn. I almost expected a sneak attack that Tyrion somehow survived. I think that in both show and book Tyrion will turn out to be a dragon rider.

4. Bran - It seems obvious now that his visions will reveal R+L=J. I am still thinking in the books we will find out through Howland Reed. 

I'm not sure about the rules, but maybe you should book spoiler tag this thread. But I agree with everything you said her.

About Jon - We should definitely see him warg in Ghost, and see all that transpires through Ghost's eyes. If GRRM does this, it will certainly be an interesting POV chapter. Of course no Davos there. And about Melisandre, the books may differ about her attitude - since Stannis is not yet defeated, and Shireen was not burned for no reason, she may approach this with more confidence (I also expect some kind of blood sacrifice)

One of the Boltons will die during or in the aftermath of the battle on the ice. There's the pink letter to consider, too. Probably Roose will die. If Ramsay kills him, he will have to mask it somehow, because few will throw their loyalty to him if he murders him in public.

I wonder if the show will still do a trial for Cersei. And I have to wonder if Euron has a magic horn, but the Greyjoy have to be relevant to overall arc somehow, so D&D will probably try to tie Euron to the larger events. But I predict that my favorite chapter from A Feast for Crows, the kingsmoot, will probably be quickly brushed over. 

As much as I liked the episode, I was a bit miffed that only sacrifice Mel seemed to do was Jon's hair. It has been established in the books and the show that 'only death will pay for life'. Lord Beric and LSH both looked different after resurrection, but Jon looks intact.

I think the books will stick more to the "only death can pay for life" rule. Shireen's sacrifice will be directly related to Jon reincarnation. Also, I was expecting to see the Tower of Joy sequence tonight. I thought Bran would show Jon that while he's in Ghost.

As much as I want Roose to be a shape-changing immortal vampire who's gonna make an unholy pact with the Others, tonight's events were a convincing resolution to the Bolton succession. Hey wait, Jon came back after getting stabbed a bunch of times, Roose only got stabbed once! UnRoose is coming!

Tyrion's gonna ride one of those dragons, and it looks like the show is gonna have the battle of Meereen. I like the theory that in the books, Tyrion is going to heal Viserion after he gets injured in the battle. I don't know if the show has the time for that. I imagine Tyrion will be riding Viserion during the battle. (+1 for the dragons smelling Tyrion's Targ blood and not eating him.)

I agree about R+L=J. Howland has been built up a lot in the books, not in the show. 

Yeah I don't think anyone is surprised that Jon is coming back (book or show). I didn't like the way he came back though. A bit anticlimatic imo. While I think Ramsay and Roose will die, I don't think Ramsay will kill Roose. He seems incredibly afraid of Roose to me. As far as who reveal RLJ, I think we'll get it from Bran and Howland in the book. We'll get some of the story like the "kidnapping" and other aspects from Bran, but TOJ from Howland. Don't know if there is any weirwood at TOJ for Bran to get that info. I'm still very torn about Tyrion being a dragonrider, but I think the scene from this episode was just to take the role of Quentyn, not necessarily indicating him being a dragonrider.

I want to talk about the Euron emergence and death of Balon in the last episode. Obviously it happened a lot later than it did in the book. Because of that I don't think we're going to get the dragonhorn, go get Dany storyline from the books. Although I will admit the burning of the fleet at Meereen leaves the option open. But, I think they are just going to focus on the Kingsmoot aspect of it especially since  Theon seems like he may be making his way back. 

I would like to offer an alternate explanation for how Jon Snow was resurrected. He was resuscitated.

I'll try to briefly explain my inversion chapters theory, but basically there are 30 uniquely titled chapters spread out from AFFC to ADWD which tell dual stories. There's the story that the chapter seems to be about, and there's a second inverted story about the events that happened prior to the Rebellion. You can read some of my essays by clicking the links down below in my signature. The one that explains what happened to Jon best is The Drowned Man.

Anyways, back to why I assert Jon was resuscitated. Something was done to the hinge that holds the door of the magical barrier holding back whatever magic is contained there and flipped reality like flipping over a stone. Imagine the Iron Islands in the place that was once Dragonstone with the Greyjoys and Targaryens switching places. Maester Aemon and Bloodraven's last locations at the Wall mean that the religion of the Ironmen now applies to the North, which is upside down and underwater just as Patchface says. You can read my opening essay titled Eating the Dragon's Tail from the link below, where I use the Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass books as an analogy to help explain what happened with the hinge.

The Drowned God is now north of the Wall which is the "sea" and the Nights Watch have effectively become "Drowned Men", so when they die they are resuscitated with the breath of the cold northern air, and so they rise again, stronger and harder. 

Melisandre's fire magic did not resurrect Jon Snow. As a brother of the Nights Watch, Jon was resuscitated as a Drowned Man should expect to be.

Archived