Cryonics, anybody interested?

Darzin

@Pebbles ^^^^ I'd be against it in each example you gave. Never been much of a fan in the assisted suicide pov either, but thats just my personal view.  I realize a lot of society seems to go along with this and would agree with those instances. To me if the person is not clinically dead then that life shouldnt be ended yet on my personal grounds, believing each life is precious and equal and equally precious enough to protect.

On 5/3/2016 at 3:33 AM, Jo498 said:

There are of course also outlandish Sci-Fi variants of the 3rd point: What it some kind of revival is possible but the revenants are "zombies" or other aberrations that have not much in common with the original person and their personality. One can combine that with point 4: What if God/Karma/... punishes those striving for such a sick kind of "immortality" with a horrific zombie state after thawing...?

Yes, there are a lot of science fiction scenarios this idea can be milked for. There are also books where the revival works exactly as advertised, but the procedure is still problematic (e.g. Cryoburn from L.M. Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga).

I think that assuming the materialist view is correct and it is possible to genuinely revive the cryopreserved (so no zombies), the most likely outcome by far is that you will get somebody different from the original. We have a variety of experiments demonstrating personality changes due to alterations to the brain, both because of physical trauma and chemical intake (see most medications). It really doesn't take much to change a person so I think the idea that an entire brain can be vitrified and reawakened with no worse consequences than short-term memory loss is wishful thinking.

20 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Some animal got into the LHC a few days ago and caused a short circuit (it was electrocuted) and downtime. (Maybe the weasel or whatever hoped for immortality by getting really close to the speed of light and experience corresponding time dilatation...)

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's point of view), the beech marten got nowhere close to the LHC tunnel (that would have been a pretty epic feat given that it is nearly 100 meters underground). It simply chewed through an electrical power line which not only fried the poor thing, but also caused problems in a neighboring power line with a significantly higher voltage. I'm not sure why those critters find cables so enticing -- they will often make their way under the hood of a car (from beneath) and chew through random cables there.

I can respect your views.  But I personally won't agree with them.  I've seen too many people suffer not to consider that preserving life no matter what the situation is, may not be the best way in all circumstances.   I do think we have to be very careful with all the safeguards ect, but I do believe in the right to die.  

Thank you for explaining your viewpoint.  I understand why you would be against freezing the not quiet dead yet.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

hahaha I love it :lmao:weasels are my new favourite animal 

I feel like I'm morally obligated to take a stab at writing the script for this.....

haha....

*open the collider bay doors, riki tiki tavvi....'*

• 3 weeks later...

So ignoring the awesome adventures of the space weasel for a moment.

To me it's a pascals wager kind of thing if I could pay 100k for a 10% chance of a deadly disease I'd probably take it, and even if there is a 1% chance of it working it would be so cool to see what happens in the future. I do think the probability is higher than 1% though. Just think of how far medical technology has come in 200 years, in another 200 who knows what will be possible.

On 5/2/2016 at 11:48 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  I've seen horror stories about what happened to the people cryonicaly frozen in the 70's when there was a dispute about who was responsible for care of the corpses and numerous other issues:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/alcor-employee-makes-harsh-allegations-cryonics-foundation/story?id=8764331

Well if all goes according to plan that won't happen and if it doesn't is rotting in a tank really so different from rotting in the ground?

Archived