Arya not giving mercy killing to the Hound...

dantares83

was it because she was hoping that someone will come and save him or was it for petty revenge?

if it is the latter, then i kind of despise Arya because the Hound had saved her multiple times during their 'adventures' together when he could have just left her to die. 

He ended their time together with declaring he should have raped her sister and reminiscing butchering Mycah. I'd say that his plan to piss her off went a little too well.

2 hours ago, Maxxine said:

It actually seems like she just couldn't bring herself to kill him. Remember she had taken him off her list and seemed to be fond of him or at least she didn't dislike him.

Agree.  She spent time with him, learned who he was, and they both at some point saved each other's lives.  She couldn't bring herself to kill him, but couldn't do anything else for him.

His comments regarding Sansa and Mycha were made in desperation to get her to end his life, but that failed.

I think it may have been a combination of factors. I think the real reason she didn't kill him was because she couldn't bring herself to after realizing that despite his intentions he had helped her and sansa. What she told him (and herself) is he didn't deserve the 'mercy' of death. He was asking her for death. The lives she has taken before and will be taking are revenge killings. It doesn't fit her list if he is begging for her to kill him. Better in her mind to let him suffer. 

I think it's mostly the latter. Sure, Arya knows the Hound isn't a bad person as she expected him to be. But Arya still holds her hatred and desire for revenge against the people she loathe and she doesn't easily forgive people now she became a killing machine. And the Hound doesn't treat Arya fairly. Arya may have a lighter view toward the Hound than before, but i think her feelings is very mix.

If memory serves Arya's last words to Sandor were "You don't deserve the gift of mercy". I think this as a play of words by Martin. Arya goes on to join the FM. The FM don't call death "death" they call it the "Gift of Mercy". So translating it to what she was soon to become Arya tells Sandor "You don't deserve to die". I don't think we've seen the end of Sandor.

4 hours ago, Minuteman said:

If memory serves Arya's last words to Sandor were "You don't deserve the gift of mercy". I think this as a play of words by Martin. Arya goes on to join the FM. The FM don't call death "death" they call it the "Gift of Mercy". So translating it to what she was soon to become Arya tells Sandor "You don't deserve to die". I don't think we've seen the end of Sandor.

I wish I had the book by me to confirm this because if so - Wow!

now if she really done it out of petty revenge, it is really horrible.

Mycah has been dead for a long time by this point and besides Arya knows that the hound was just following orders. At least he didn't order/participate in the death of her whole family. 

Arya used to be my fav character until that point because I believe she did it out of spite. And we all know from the books and even the show how the hound always try to help the Stark girls.

anyway, glad that she did not do it also because it means the hound is coming back. 

On 5/3/2016 at 7:23 PM, Minuteman said:

On 5/3/2016 at 11:38 PM, WolfQueenArya said:

I wish I had the book by me to confirm this because if so - Wow!

Those were her last words to him..  One could have left the passage feeling she was being cruel and meaning him to die more slowly and painfully. But I agree that she did truly mean him mercy.  That he would live on.

The Hound had been dying when she left him on the banks of the Trident, burning up with fever from his wound. I should have given him the gift of mercy and put a knife into his heart.

per dantares83: "Mycah has been dead for a long time by this point and besides Arya knows that the hound was just following orders. At least he didn't order/participate in the death of her whole family.  "

But he did! When Ned Stark went to the throne room, not realizing that Joffrey had received a sudden, secret coronation, and thinking to be confirmed as Lord Protector per King Robert's will, the Hound was first to draw his longsword and was a key participant in the slaughter of all the Stark people in the Red Keep. Although he deliberately saved Jeyne Poole and had her brought to Sansa's rooms.

Admittedly, Sandor Clegane wasn't involved in either the Frey Wedding or Theon & Ramsey's Excellent Adventure at Winterfell, but he most definitely was involved with killing the whole Stark party in King's Landing. And also, Arya has never accepted that Sandor had to follow the King's/Queen's orders to kill Mycah.

I think probably everybody has a part of the truth here. People tend to have many reasons for what they do, even if the reasons aren't conscious. Arya was thinking of him as "Sandor" and acting like a willing squire near the end. She followed his instructions to the letter in bandaging his wounds, even after he lost consciousness and she could have just left him to bleed out. When he lay feverish and dying, she may have felt, somewhere down deep that her POV didn't indicate, that her last "friend" was leaving her, and hesitated to hasten the process.

But what she told him was that he didn't deserve mercy. That may have been the last knife to the heart that killed the Hound.

On 5/5/2016 at 7:46 AM, zandru said:

tend to have many reasons for what they do, even if the reasons aren't conscious. Arya was thinking of him as "Sandor" and acting like a willing squire near the end. She followed his instructions to the letter in bandaging his wounds, even after he lost consciousness and she could have just left him to bleed out. When he lay feverish and dying, she may have felt, somewhere down deep that her POV didn't indicate, that her last "friend" was leaving her, and hesitated to hasten the process.

But what she told him was that he didn't deserve mercy. That may have been the last knife to the heart that killed the Hound.

yah, he is only a 'squire'. While he must take certain responsibility for killing these people, but ultimately he was only following the orders of a King who can order his death anytime.

He is no Ned Stark who is more than willing to trade his life for honor. Arya shouldn't expect that of him. Unlike the other, Sandor just like to fight maybe even kill but he is no torturer. 

On 03/05/2016 at 1:23 AM, Minuteman said:

Very interesting, one more point in favor of a live Sandor, or at least insight into what Arya was feeling. 

On 02/05/2016 at 6:01 PM, Maxxine said:

It actually seems like she just couldn't bring herself to kill him. Remember she had taken him off her list and seemed to be fond of him or at least she didn't dislike him.

I agree.

She probably started to like him, her relationship with him was much closer that the one she had with Mycah, so she probable (subconsciously) forgave him for killing a boy she barely knew. She didn't want him to die, and could not bring herself to kill (however mercifully) a person she cared about, thus, in a vain attempt to mask her true feeling to the Hound and herself she disguised her affection and weakness with ruthlessness, by stating she would not kill him "because he did not deserve mercy".

Archived