Rhaegar and Lyanna weren't in love

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

we know that the women were willing to have sex with him, maybe hoping that they will be the next Lady of Winterfell, and he wasn't made them.

No-one claims that he was a rapist but even if the lady(ies) were willing, he still shouldn't have. Plus there is the whole issue of his betrothal to Cat - if he had been promised before he started the affair with Barbrey...

On 8/4/2017 at 2:51 PM, Ygrain said:

No-one claims that he was a rapist but even if the lady(ies) were willing, he still shouldn't have. Plus there is the whole issue of his betrothal to Cat - if he had been promised before he started the affair with Barbrey...

Come on now! If they didn't cared why he should? 

On 5/2/2016 at 7:28 PM, EvanSol919 said:

So a bunch of people are convinced that the dragon prince and the wolf maiden had this great lovd affair but I'm not sold.

Let's look at some facts - I believe that Lyanna was our mysterious knight that Rhaegar found but there's no indication that the two spent any personal time together between then and when Lyanna was crowned Queen of Love and Beauty. Cut to roughly a year later when Lyanna was "kidnapped". First she must have already been heading south since she ended up in Dorne before Brandon rode to Kings Landing from Riverrun. My guess she was supposed to be going to Storms End although Riverrun and the Vale are other choices. Now let's keep in mind the timeline - Lyanna was 16 when she died, 15 when the war began and 14 at the tourney of Harrenhall. So it seems possible that she was infatuated with Rhaegar and might have turned to him to escape her unhappy engagement. Maybe during that year she fell in love but it wasn't that way at first. 

Now switching to the last dragon - most remember Rhaegar as a man who would have been a great king but I see something else - an obsession with the Prince that was Promised prophecy. From the House of the Undying vision, he was already looking to have another child, his third head, after Elia was advised not to get pregnant again. But why Lyanna? Well he already had a Rhaeyns and an Aegon so he needed a Visenya and who better to be the mother of the legendary warior woman than a girl who would secretly disguise herself as a knight? Also it would unite the blood of the dragon with the blood of the first men. Now Rhaegar would have had to have known that seemingly abducting the daughter of one great lord and the fiancee of another would cause a lot of problems but his obsession with the prophecy came first and it cost thousands their lives. Again, maybe he came to love he but that wasn't his original intent. Perhaps he didn't fully escape the Targaryen madness after all...

Any thoughts? 

no

8 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Come on now! If they didn't cared why he should? 

Because, as a future lord of Winterfell, he should have been the one acting responsibly. 

54 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

No. It isn't the Lord's responsibility to look after if some of their subjects want to have sex.

Lol, it's certainly not, but he shouldn't be the one participating if he doesn't intend to marry the lady :-)

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Why? If the lady is willing why is the man that has to care about the woman more that she cares about herself?

Just as a boss shouldn't accept the secretary's advantages: there is imbalance in power dynamics, and there is also something called moral standards, which were doubly important at a time when woman's virtue supposedly resided between her legs.

5 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Just as a boss shouldn't accept the secretary's advantages: there is imbalance in power dynamics, and there is also something called moral standards, which were doubly important at a time when woman's virtue supposedly resided between her legs.

I don't see  the problem, since Brandon wasn't the boss, if the woman wanted to have sex and she knew the consequences of her actions, she should care about the future.

43 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't see  the problem, since Brandon wasn't the boss, if the woman wanted to have sex and she knew the consequences of her actions, she should care about the future.

The boss's son, the future boss. Not much difference here.

Not to mention that he knew he couldn't marry below his status.

Just now, Ygrain said:

The boss's son, the future boss. Not much difference here.

Not to mention that he knew he couldn't marry below his status.

I wouldn't say boss, they don't work for him and he doesn't pay them. 

If he was clear with them and he seems to be I don't see why it was his fault.

• 3 weeks later...
On May 3, 2016 at 7:28 AM, EvanSol919 said:

Now switching to the last dragon - most remember Rhaegar as a man who would have been a great king but I see something else - an obsession with the Prince that was Promised prophecy. From the House of the Undying vision, he was already looking to have another child, his third head, after Elia was advised not to get pregnant again. But why Lyanna? Well he already had a Rhaeyns and an Aegon so he needed a Visenya and who better to be the mother of the legendary warior woman than a girl who would secretly disguise herself as a knight? Also it would unite the blood of the dragon with the blood of the first men. Now Rhaegar would have had to have known that seemingly abducting the daughter of one great lord and the fiancee of another would cause a lot of problems but his obsession with the prophecy came first and it cost thousands their lives. Again, maybe he came to love he but that wasn't his original intent. Perhaps he didn't fully escape the Targaryen madness after all...

Actually, He decided to get all hanky panky with Lyanna bc Elia had poor health and she wouldn't survive if she gave birth to another baby. That's when Rhaegar decided to go for Plan B. 

Archived