Melisandre. Relieved, empowered or confused?

So Jon has risen, after everyone left the room so when when he presents himself how you think Mel will react to seeing him? Will she believe this is the work of R'hllor and take credit? Or will she think was this my work or the act of the great other? Personally I think outwardly she will take credit but inwardly she will harbour doubts. Instead of trying to push the agenda she will follow. Jon now is after all Azor Ahai reborn. (in her eyes)

19 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

So Jon has risen, after everyone left the room so when when he presents himself how you think Mel will react to seeing him? Will she believe this is the work of R'hllor and take credit? Or will she think was this my work or the act of the great other? Personally I think outwardly she will take credit but inwardly she will harbour doubts. Instead of trying to push the agenda she will follow. Jon now is after all Azor Ahai reborn. (in her eyes)

At no point did she think that Beric Dondarrion was Azor Ahai. (Should mark this thread as a spoiler though).

Good question. Personally, I found it somewhat suspicious that unlike book Mel, show Mel did not even suggest she thinks Jon might be Azor Ahai. Making the act of resurrection a bit random and lacking in actual motivation.

Which miiiight lead to show Mel discovering that the power is actually within her, and not a matter of any deity (just like GRRM suggested might be the case). That would be an interesting turn of events. Not that it changes the plot much, as I still believe Davos will go all berserk on her, once he discovers she burned Shireen (and he will, as trailers suggest).

Her reaction? I can't wait to see Thorne's reaction.:P And Jon's resurrection doesn't really follow the Azor Ahai prophecy. Unless Longclaw starts glowing like a flame or something. I think she'll be surprised, but I doubt she'll claim him as Azor Ahai reborn; she'll be a bit more cautious about making such claims after Stannis. She should gain a little of her confidence back though since one of her flame visions has a better chance of coming true: Jon fighting at Winterfell.

I think the humbled Mel will consider it a miracle and proclaim Jon to be Azor Ahai, swearing her allegiance and service. Which will create an interesting dynamic, because he is so righteous and she is utilitarian (ends justify the means). I also think Davos will swear allegiance as well. 

I do worry that they're setting up to kill her off, because she might be a bit over-powered at this point. But a redhead was spotted filming a battle scene with Jon, and it looks more like Mel than Sansa, so here's hoping Mel at least makes it to the end of the season.

Davos already knows she killed Shireen I am fairly sure, at least that's the impression I got from the look on his face when she first arrived back at Castle Black & he'd asked after her.

I'm looking forward to seeing her reaction. I'm inclined to believe that she will see this as the work of R'hollor, and she'll now see Jon as Azor Ahai. Her vision in the flames, of Jon fighting at Winterfell, will probably be addressed this episode too.

I would say deep down he really already knows her fate. In 509 after Davos tells Stannis that he has to turn back to Castle Black because their is no option to go forward. When Stannis refuses, Davos ask what option is their if you can't go back and can't go forward. Stannis then looks over at Mel standing next to the queen. Davos has a look of dread knowing nothing good can come from this. Then a short time later Stannis tells him he is to head back to Castle Black against Davos' wishes. Davos ask to take the Queen and Shireen with him and is told no. Then he asks to at least take Shireen and is told she stays there. After all Davos has seen and heard of Mel talk about king's blood, I'd say he has some thought as to what happened to her, even if he won't admit it to himself.

1 hour ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

Davos is in denial about what happened to Shireen, but he definitaly had guessed it

Most importantly, deep down he blames Stannis for the deed, not Melisandre

Agreed.  Davos is the kind of man who would admit that Stannis dug his own grave by his own actions, even if Melisandre shared the blame for pushing him that way.

1 hour ago, Fiery Heart said:

Melisandre will survive the series. She'll be at Winterfell, I am guessing.

As much as I like the character, I highly doubt she will survive this season. She is a child-burning religious fanatic, currently surrounded by righteous, and not particularily religious characters in power. If Davos does not kill her, I would expect Jon or Sansa, to at least banish her from Westeros, if not take her head. Moreover, she already served her purpose as a character - led Stannis to his demise and resurrected Jon. And we all know what happens to characters with no purpose.

Also, now that I think of it, banishing her would make a lot of sense, considering her prophecy about meeting Arya again in the future.

26 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

As much as I like the character, I highly doubt she will survive this season. She is a child-burning religious fanatic, currently surrounded by righteous, and not particularily religious characters in power. If Davos does not kill her, I would expect Jon or Sansa, to at least banish her from Westeros, if not take her head. Moreover, she already served her purpose as a character - led Stannis to his demise and resurrected Jon. And we all know what happens to characters with no purpose.

Also, now that I think of it, banishing her would make a lot of sense, considering her prophecy about meeting Arya again in the future.

But since she has resurrected Jon, these characters who previously viewed her this way will surely recognise that she is not just a religious fanatic, but someone who has actual power. Chances are they will be more inclined to listen to what she has to say now. They're well aware of the White Walkers and what they're up against, so it is in their interest to learn more about R'hollor too. I see no reason why she will not continue to play an important role.

27 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

But since she has resurrected Jon, these characters who previously viewed her this way will surely recognise that she is not just a religious fanatic, but someone who has actual power. Chances are they will be more inclined to listen to what she has to say now. They're well aware of the White Walkers and what they're up against, so it is in their interest to learn more about R'hollor too. I see no reason why she will not continue to play an important role.

Keep in mind that Davos valued very highly the Stannis-y sense of justice. So what, he saved Stannis and his people with his onions - he still got his finger cut off because he had to receive punishment for being a smuggler. So what, Mel resurrected Lord Commander, she still burned the child Davos loved and so in his mind, she will surely deserve a punishemnt.

Seeing as Jon has a similar sense of justice passed to him by Ned, I wouldn't assume he would just be like 'k, whatever', upon learning about Mel's crime.

10 minutes ago, Bran Snow said:

But it was Stannis, the king, that chose to burn Shireen

Right, Mel may have pushed him to it, but it was ultimately Stannis' decision to burn his daughter alive. I think Davos will realize this and not kill Mel, but he will resent her nonetheless.

She wouldn't have done this without Stannis' permission, yes, but ultimately, as far as I recall, she was the one to do the deed. Also she did come up with this plan and talk him into such decision. As mature and understanding as Davos is, he still won't find her innocent - simply because she is not.

The fact that Stannis was a decision maker in this case might save Mel's life, but I don't think it will spare her the punishment - I expect her to be banished (mostly as she is supposed to meet Arya again and she wouldn't, if she died so soon).

When Davos came to get her to raise Jon she was visibly cold. She is meant to be like a fire that is about to burn out. I think that Jon coming back will rekindle her devotion to her God. She will also be the first to call Jon an instrument of God. With Stannis she was like a puppet master and things went terribly wrong. I think with Jon she will be more like a servant. 

Archived