When is Benjen gonna come back?

Fearodh

Benjen made an appearance in Season 1 and disappeared after going for a ranging beyond the Wall. Finding him was part of the "great ranging" by Mormong which led to disaster.

Ever since we did not hear much from Ned's brother. I was kinda scared that he just dies off screen and we never get to know what happened to him, similar to Gerion Lannister.

But in the last 3 episodes he was twice involved. First the NW mutineers used his name to lure Jon out of his chamber. It was of course a lie, but also it was a first hint that everyone (also the show creators) is well aware of Benjen's unresolved story.

And now in Home we get to see him as a boy in Bran's vision. It seems they make lil Ned emphasize his name to drive that fact to the audience. "Keep your shield up, BENJEN" Also the COTF tells Meera that Bran will need her help.

So what if Bran is able to locate Benjen before he has to leave the cave and tries to reach him? I think chances are good that finally, this guy will make a return. What are your thoughts?

On 3/5/2016 at 5:05 PM, Fearodh said:

Benjen made an appearance in Season 1 and disappeared after going for a ranging beyond the Wall. Finding him was part of the "great ranging" by Mormong which led to disaster.

Ever since we did not hear much from Ned's brother. I was kinda scared that he just dies off screen and we never get to know what happened to him, similar to Gerion Lannister.

But in the last 3 episodes he was twice involved. First the NW mutineers used his name to lure Jon out of his chamber. It was of course a lie, but also it was a first hint that everyone (also the show creators) is well aware of Benjen's unresolved story.

And now in Home we get to see him as a boy in Bran's vision. It seems they make lil Ned emphasize his name to drive that fact to the audience. "Keep your shield up, BENJEN" Also the COTF tells Meera that Bran will need her help.

So what if Bran is able to locate Benjen before he has to leave the cave and tries to reach him? I think chances are good that finally, this guy will make a return. What are your thoughts?

if onlyy

On 5/3/2016 at 11:05 AM, Fearodh said:

Unless Benjen is actuality beneath the ground where Bran is...

On 5/8/2016 at 6:32 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

in the trailers, there is a dark, wintery scene where a rider on a horse is weilding a flaming ball/bowl with chains and is killing what may be a wyght walker, this may be Benjen, I think he assists Bran South of the wall again.

I would rather that be the missing coldhands who is not Benjen then actually Benjen.  Meera need more help then frog spear can provide if Bran leaves the cave

Never have been sure what the Benjen obsession has been.  It resulted in biggest D&D troll ever in S5EP10.   It would be nice to know granted.... although GRRM has been realistic when it comes to disposing of characters.   D&D have shown bloodlust in killing off characters that GRRM has finished with in book.   Benjen's fate may be to have disappeared in the north and I am fine with that.

Must we have an update on Hotpie also at the end of long winter

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fearodh said:

There you go. I enjoyed him coming back a lot, best part of e6 :-)

You’re not the only one who feels that way. Some of us waited twenty years to see him come back.  Twenty years is a long time, a really long time. From Game of Thrones, 1996:

Yoren wiped his fingers on his vest. “There’s hard news, m’lords, and a cruel way to pay you for your meat and mead, but the man as asks the question must bear the answer. Stark’s gone.”

One of the other men said, “The Old Bear sent him out to look for Waymar Royce, and he’s late returning, my lord.”
“Too long,” Yoren said. “Most like he’s dead.”

“My uncle is not dead,” Robb Stark said loudly, anger in his tones. He rose from the bench and laid his hand on the hilt of his sword. “Do you hear me? My uncle is not dead!” His voice rang against the stone walls, and Bran was suddenly afraid.

Old sour-smelling Yoren looked up at Robb, unimpressed. “Whatever you say, m’lord,” he said. He sucked at a piece of meat between his teeth.

The youngest of the black brothers shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “There’s not a man on the Wall knows the haunted forest better than Benjen Stark. He’ll find his way back.”

“Well,” said Yoren, “maybe he will and maybe he won’t. Good men have gone into those woods before, and never come out.”

All Bran could think of was Old Nan’s story of the Others and the last hero, hounded through the white woods by dead men and spiders big as hounds. He was afraid for a moment, until he remembered how that story ended. “The children will help him,” he blurted, “the children of the forest!

Theon Greyjoy sniggered, and Maester Luwin said, “Bran, the children of the forest have been dead and gone for thousands of years. All that is left of them are the faces in the trees.”

“Down here, might be that’s true, Maester,” Yoren said, “but up past the Wall, who’s to say? Up there, a man can’t always tell what’s alive and what’s dead.

Martin telegraphed all this, or foreshadowed it if you will, twenty years ago back in the very first book.  Thanks to Old Nan's tale of the last hero, Bran told us exactly what would happen to Benjen

2 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

You’re not the only one who feels that way. Some of us waited twenty years to see him come back.  Twenty years is a long time, a really long time. From Game of Thrones, 1996:

Yoren wiped his fingers on his vest. “There’s hard news, m’lords, and a cruel way to pay you for your meat and mead, but the man as asks the question must bear the answer. Stark’s gone.”

One of the other men said, “The Old Bear sent him out to look for Waymar Royce, and he’s late returning, my lord.”
“Too long,” Yoren said. “Most like he’s dead.”

“My uncle is not dead,” Robb Stark said loudly, anger in his tones. He rose from the bench and laid his hand on the hilt of his sword. “Do you hear me? My uncle is not dead!” His voice rang against the stone walls, and Bran was suddenly afraid.

Old sour-smelling Yoren looked up at Robb, unimpressed. “Whatever you say, m’lord,” he said. He sucked at a piece of meat between his teeth.

The youngest of the black brothers shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “There’s not a man on the Wall knows the haunted forest better than Benjen Stark. He’ll find his way back.”

“Well,” said Yoren, “maybe he will and maybe he won’t. Good men have gone into those woods before, and never come out.”

All Bran could think of was Old Nan’s story of the Others and the last hero, hounded through the white woods by dead men and spiders big as hounds. He was afraid for a moment, until he remembered how that story ended. “The children will help him,” he blurted, “the children of the forest!

Theon Greyjoy sniggered, and Maester Luwin said, “Bran, the children of the forest have been dead and gone for thousands of years. All that is left of them are the faces in the trees.”

“Down here, might be that’s true, Maester,” Yoren said, “but up past the Wall, who’s to say? Up there, a man can’t always tell what’s alive and what’s dead.

Martin telegraphed all this, or foreshadowed it if you will, twenty years ago back in the very first book.  Thanks to Old Nan's tale of the last hero, Bran told us exactly what would happen to Benjen

Yes!!!!

and he can't stop thinking about two things: The Others and The Last Hero :)

Archived