Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

On 12/12/2016 at 11:00 PM, The hairy bear said:

However, I think that the main problem of adapting Joe's trilogy is that the most of the protagonists are not defined by their actions, but by their thoughts. Logen is interesting because you know that he tries to be a better man and refrain from violence. But if you watched it instead of reading it, you'd just see a barbarian who resorts to violence at the first opportunity. And seeing how Glokta tortures prisoner after prisoner without understanding him would be hard to watch. I'm not saying it can't be done, but at least it's a very tall order.

I don't think Logen would be very hard, he made some concerted efforts to knit the team together that would make him seem fairly likable even without the internal commentary, and iirc when he reunited with the Dogman and the rest he was fairly open with them.

I reckon casting Bayaz would be a challenge. You'd need an older actor with gravitas willing to join a fantasy show for however many years, capable of playing someone extremely conceited that tries to pull off a Gandalf-like persona. 

32 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

I don't think Logen would be very hard, he made some concerted efforts to knit the team together that would make him seem fairly likable even without the internal commentary, and iirc when he reunited with the Dogman and the rest he was fairly open with them.

I reckon casting Bayaz would be a challenge. You'd need an older actor with gravitas willing to join a fantasy show for however many years, capable of playing someone extremely conceited that tries to pull off a Gandalf-like persona. 

Logen also saves Quai's life in book 1, and there are a couple of times early in the story when he indicates he is willing to resort to violence, but it isn't his preferred choice.  I think that could go a long way of showing that Logen is trying to be a "better man".

For Bayaz, you don't need to get a particularly old actor, he isn't old like Gandalf or Dumbledore, I always pictured him more like 60 or so (and younger at the end of the trilogy).  Plus he's bald/shaved, so you combine that with makeup, and you could choose an actor of almost any age you like.  I imagined someone like a thinner James Gandolfini (RIP). 

Yeah, part of Bayaz' character is precisely that he doesn't look like Gandalf. He looks like a butcher. (And of course, he is.)

Casting Bayaz, you're looking for an actor in his 50s, I think.

Yeah I'm not saying he should look like a Gandalf or Dumbledore clone, just that he'd need to pull off a semi-convincing old, wise mentor act while having this sinister undercurrent about him. 

Now I have Liam Cunningham in my head. 

http://i.imgur.com/SQWsXT7.jpg

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/wptest/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/liamcunningham5.gif

1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

Yeah I'm not saying he should look like a Gandalf or Dumbledore clone, just that he'd need to pull off a semi-convincing old, wise mentor act while having this sinister undercurrent about him. 

Now I have Liam Cunningham in my head. 

http://i.imgur.com/SQWsXT7.jpg

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/wptest/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/liamcunningham5.gif

Whiten the beard... shave the head.... I like it.

It needs to be someone who can do a shaved head quite well. In ten years time I think Travis Fimmel could do a good job. An Older Tom Hardy could also work.

Current actors I'd probably go for a hard man thesp like Ray Stevenson or Winstone.

I think Liam Cunningham would indeed have a great look for the character.

Maybe be a little more buffed up than usual though, I remember picturing Bayaz as quite burly.

Age wise, someone in his 50's, possibly early 60's.

Logen: late 30's 

Glokta: likewise, or someone in his 40's.

Col West: 30'ish.

Threetrees: Late 40's, early 50's.

Black Dow: Late 30's as well. Dogman, in his early 40's after a lifetime of war.

Ferro: late 20's?

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Any idea when Joe's next  First Law trilogy is coming out? I really need to do a re-read of this one as well....forgotten alot :(

Late 2018, I think.

1 hour ago, Lies And Perfidy said:

A friend & I fancast Joe's books over a long, boring work day a few years ago. I can't remember a lot of them, but we definitely had Robert Carlyle as Black Dow.

Personality-wise an excellent fit. I can definitely see him delivering the lines: 'Is my name White Dow?'

Maybe a little too old now, but decent call just the same.

Archived