Rhom

Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

363 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2016 at 10:00 AM, Consigliere said:

I finished "Hell" last night and, imo, that was hands down the best story so far. I guess there is a decent chance that Kahdia might still be alive. 

I thought they might be taking him to turn him into an Eater.

2 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

I thought they might be taking him to turn him into an Eater.

That's also a possibility.

I thought they simply respected him for being willing to give up everything and be so self-sacrificial for something he cared about. Sort of showing that the Eaters aren't entirely evil and have some redeeming features. Or at least some kind of honour code they adhere to

anthropophagous fundamentalist bellicose totalitarians got feelings too?

I'm approaching the end of BTAH and have possession of LAOK. I'm really enjoying all the microcosmic world-building.

Sharp Ends was great, though it felt more like a Fill-in-the-Gaps piece mixed with a novella about Shev and Javre than it did a proper collection of independent short stories. I actually squealed a little bit during the Javre/Whirrun interactions. Not proud of it, but I'll own it.

I've been on a big Abercrombie kick lately, rereading the trilogy and reading the stand alones for the first time, and this was a great way to bring everything full circle. I feel good about walking away for a bit now while we all wait for him to get the new trilogy out.

The fact that we still haven't heard anything about Ferro (other than the brief mention in Best Served Cold) convinces me more than ever that she's going to play a major role in the next trilogy. I'm still holding out hopes that she'll have a little Logen jr. with her.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

i see from a recollection in the fourth S/J chapter that shev interacted with logen at some point.  is that represented anywhere else? i.e., has she been in the story the entire time and i just missed it?

Edited by sologdin

34 minutes ago, sologdin said:

i see from a recollection in the fourth S/J chapter that shev interacted with logen at some point.  is that represented anywhere else? i.e., has she been in the story the entire time and i just missed it?

Well she encountered him in the Far Country, but before the events of RC, so I don't see how it could have been. Now whether Logen/Lamb mentioned her at any point during RC, I do not recall, but she wasn't in the story herself. I don't think her name was ever mentioned.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

16 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Sharp Ends was great, though it felt more like a Fill-in-the-Gaps piece mixed with a novella about Shev and Javre than it did a proper collection of independent short stories.

This is what makes the book work for me so far. It doesn't feel like a random collection of odds and ends but little pieces that feel connected (mainly via shev/Javre).

16 hours ago, sologdin said:

I think Joe's been quite crafty in making us think Shev's been around in all the other books as I also feel like that too. Nicely done by him.

Shev and Javre and Whirrun was the most I've ever laughed while reading. PLEASE give us more of their interactions.

Also, I really hope Javre search for a wizards thing is shown in the new trilogy or atleast another short story. I want more of her and Shev !

I got the impression that wizards thing is the same thing in Fools Jobs and the the mysterious package on that circuitous route in Sipani.

2 minutes ago, ruzvelt said:

I got the impression that wizards thing is the same thing in Fools Jobs and the the mysterious package on that circuitous route in Sipani.

same.  though I suppose there can be more than one numinous object in this setting.

I definitely got the impression that the object in Fools Jobs and Tough Times All Over was the same thing. Not sure about whatever Javre was supposed to steal.

I do wonder about the role that magic will play in the new trilogy. Bayaz said at the end of the trilogy that it would be the last war fought with the weapons of the old world. Abercrombie seemed to continue this theme with the dragon in Red Country. I wonder if we might see Shanka overrun the Far Country now that the Dragon People aren't there to fight them anymore.

Right, so I don't have the book on me so this characters name is probably going to be wrong, but did we ever figure out who Carnolf's dad is?

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right, so I don't have the book on me so this characters name is probably going to be wrong, but did we ever figure out who Carnolf's dad is?

I can't see any clue to who her father is.

I'd like it to be Bayaz.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Anyone recall the expression Carnolf attributes to her father? Maybe we can search the ebooks for them. 

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I thought maybe it could have been Jezel's adopted father? There was this one line about how horrible her sister-in-law was or something like that.

carcolf's father said that a person should stick to their principles.  is that something anyone says elsewhere?

6 hours ago, sologdin said:

carcolf's father said that a person should stick to their principles.  is that something anyone says elsewhere?

I didn't have time to look for it, you've got to be realistic about these things.

Only have Heroes downloaded on kindle and not in that book. Hmmm. Anyone with easy ebook access to the others willing to search?