Rhom

Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

336 posts in this topic

Carcolf's dad, I reckon, is Brock Sr - the traitor from First Law and father-in-law to Finree. 

(editing for additional info now I'm not on my phone): Reasons - if her brother was someone important like Jez or Glokta, that would have been made clearer, but all we know is that her bro is a fairly mild man, in Adua, married to a judgmental woman who has a strong personality like Carcolf & bro's dad, who always looked at the world with a sneer. All 3 family members were mentioned in the sort of way that suggests the astute reader might find them familiar, and I can't think of any other family (bar Jez or Glokta) where we have that info. I'd need to reread the First Law books to see what we know about Brock Sr, but at the moment that's what I'm thinking.

Edited by MinDonner
moar stuff

12 hours ago, unJon said:

Only have Heroes downloaded on kindle and not in that book. Hmmm. Anyone with easy ebook access to the others willing to search?

I did a search for that phrase and it does not appear in any of the published works.

I also get the feeling that we should be able to piece this together but so far I've had no luck figuring this one out. Wish Joe pops in and helps us out even if it is just to confirm whether or not Carcolf's father has appeared in the books.

@MinDonner - I'm not so sure about Brock Sr. The Brocks were one of the most powerful and wealthy families in Midderland yet we know that Carcolf was a criminal in Small Kindnesses which is set 2 years before TBI. According to Shev, Carcolf was a dancer before that. Also, Lord Brocks daughter and two sons were arrested by the inquisition in TLAOK but granted mercy by the crown.

My gut feeling is that Carcolf's family might be minor nobility but more likely merchant or peasant class.

Ah, the timeline's a bit damning, didn't spot that. I'd disregard anything "according to Shev" though, especially in the early stories. 

Wonder about the connection to Horald also? Unless just part of the general criminal fraternity? 

Edited by MinDonner

I assume that Fallow the child trafficker in Tough Times All Over is the same Fallow who is the obnoxious moneylender in BTAH.

Come to think of it, if Carcolf is already a-thievin in Sipani some years before TBI even starts, we're not gonna have any easy point of reference from the original trilogy. All just a red herring, like the way we all sort of assume that Shev might have popped up in earlier books when actually she probably didn't?

20 minutes ago, MinDonner said:

Ah, the timeline's a bit damning, didn't spot that. I'd disregard anything "according to Shev" though, especially in the early stories. 

Wonder about the connection to Horald also? Unless just part of the general criminal fraternity? 

I was thinking Horald as well and thought I had it figured out until my hopes were crushed in Three's a Crowd when Shev reads that letter from Horald's daughter that was meant for Carcolf.

2 hours ago, MinDonner said:

also need to disregard any history provided by carcolf directly, as she is manifestly disingenuous?

i love how in 'made a monster'

Spoiler

logen has not yet adopted the steady realism quoted by rhom, supra, and is rather an eric idle optimist with his "always look on the bright side of life" bullshit. aside from the question of what trauma transformed him, is there any indication that he might be the source of the 'stick to your principles' aphorism? he is the archetypal thoughtful barbarian, after all, full of civilized gnomics.

Carcolf's internal monologue in her POV section I guess we can trust, as far as that goes - I mean maybe her s-i-l isn't really a judgmental bitch, but I don't doubt that she does have respectable family in Adua (bro, s-i-l, nieces, former domineering but principled dad). So I'd rule out Logen.

Further thought: what if this is actually just priming us for some of the new characters that will appear in the next set of First Law books? I imagine (or at least I hope) that Joe is well into the writing of these, and would have been planning them around the timeline and background that's already established, so it could be that Family Carcolf will feature in future instead of in past?

Edited by MinDonner

My best guess with information we have is Cosca. Her turncoat nature and charm run in the family perhaps?

1 hour ago, unJon said:

My best guess with information we have is Cosca. Her turncoat nature and charm run in the family perhaps?

In addition, "sticking to principles" just screams Cosca :) I like to imagine Friendly and Carcolf actually being in cahoots regarding the package in Tough Times All Over. Pipe dream, I know.

Say one thing for Nicomo Cosca,  say he's not exactly the prime candidate for "stable family unit". Much as it  would be awesome, I think most likely not. 

3 minutes ago, MinDonner said:

Say one thing for Nicomo Cosca,  say he's not exactly the prime candidate for "stable family unit". Much as it  would be awesome, I think most likely not. 

There would probably be an indication he had a daughter in BSC when he thinks of Monza too, IMO. I didn't pick up any indications of that when I recently read it.

Yeah, I think Cosca can be ruled out as we have quite a bit of info on that character inculding his POV where I don't recall there being even a hint that he has children. While the "sticking to principles" could fit Cosca there is also that bit about Carcolf's sister-in-law being judgmental and meeting everything with a sneer, which reminded Carcolf of her father. That doesn't fit Cosca.

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

I assume that Fallow the child trafficker in Tough Times All Over is the same Fallow who is the obnoxious moneylender in BTAH.

This is why I want to read all the novels before all the short stories. It could be a family name however.

Cosca was dead by the time Tough Times All Over took place. Wasn't the indication that Carcolf's father was still alive? Besides, if Cosca had a daughter I feel like it would have come up in Best Served Cold.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Her dad is obviously Darth Vader. Mystery solved.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)

She's the lovechild of Dogman and Cathil :)

Anyone else desperately want to read about Javre escaping from Khalul? I can imagine that being a very interesting story. 

Having finished the entire book now, my least favourite story is probably the Glokta story. Not because it is bad, but the others are all much better I felt. Javre and Shevedieh were brilliant characters and their run in with Whirrun was hilarious. Reading these short stories has me really into the First Law world again. Fortunately I've not The Heroes and Red Country yet, so I'll move on to those soon.