Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

Help me settle a debate...  How do you pronounce Euz?  Kingdoms hang in the balance.

Summon author!?!

Ee-you-zz

You know, because I'm pretty much the arbiter of all things intellectual and stuff.

@Joe Abercrombie would just tell you the same.

15 minutes ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

I'd pronounce it with more of an Ay than an Ee, and more of a hard u as in book than an oo like you. Then the zzzzzzz.

Phhhhhhht... that just sounds ridiculous.  What's next?  Saying Glokta is pronounced with a long Oh and a hard A?!!?

:commie: 

(Man, I'm going to feel dumb if he comes back and actually does say that's how it's pronounced...)

:leaving: 

16 hours ago, Astromech said:

Hopefully, not as well as Uncle Benna did.

I sincerely and devoutly hope not. 

I guess, by the time of the new trilogy, Monza will be in her early fifties, and Jappo in his early twenties.  As he's described as a very good-natured child, he may lack his mother's necessary ruthlessness.

1) It's interesting that Monza named her son after her father, and not her brother. I think she may have been advised not to name him after Benna, or she herself finally saw the light about Benna.

2) I personally don't believe that Monza had sex with her brother. Did Joe confirm this? I think it was just rumors that Benna spread because he was that big of a douche and sociopath. 

1) I think it's clear by the end of BSC that she recognises what a piece of scum her brother was.

2) I think it's clear from Monza's own thoughts (leaving aside what other characters say) that she and her brother were lovers.

it's a while since I've read BSC but I definitely thought there was incest afoot with Monza and her brother. I'm also pretty sure it was outright stated in the early development/blurbs on Joe's website. I recall reading the book expecting that to be the case so was surprised it didn't turn up until later.

I always went for "you-ez". I can be like one of those tourists who thinks the "thames" doesn't sound like the "th" in "think"

15 hours ago, SeanF said:

I sincerely and devoutly hope not. 

I guess, by the time of the new trilogy, Monza will be in her early fifties, and Jappo in his early twenties.  As he's described as a very good-natured child, he may lack his mother's necessary ruthlessness.

Growing up in a palace with bodyguards and servants certainly doesn't give one the same life perspectives as growing up on a farm, dirt poor, and then learning to kill to make a living. But I have a feeling Monza will not raise a spoiled brat. Also, in the new trilogy, Vitari's kids will also be adults. A pov from one of them could be interesting. In BSC I would have preferred a Vitari pov over the Morveer pov we got.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Growing up in a palace with bodyguards and servants certainly doesn't give one the same life perspectives as growing up on a farm, dirt poor, and then learning to kill to make a living. But I have a feeling Monza will not raise a spoiled brat. Also, in the new trilogy, Vitari's kids will also be adults. A pov from one of them could be interesting. In BSC I would have preferred a Vitari pov over the Morveer pov we got.

My instinct is that Joe will probably have all the children turning out completely different from how the parents want. So they'll probably be disappointments in some ways or on the off chance they are proud of their kid, the kid's POV will shatter that belief.

Jezal's kids will be curious - especially if Bayaz has had any role in their upbringing. The kid with Glokta as an "uncle" could be cool (Ardee had a kid right?).

3 hours ago, red snow said:

My instinct is that Joe will probably have all the children turning out completely different from how the parents want. So they'll probably be disappointments in some ways or on the off chance they are proud of their kid, the kid's POV will shatter that belief.

Jezal's kids will be curious - especially if Bayaz has had any role in their upbringing. The kid with Glokta as an "uncle" could be cool (Ardee had a kid right?).

Yes, them too. At the same time this makes me a bit sad. An old Bloody-Nine won't be the same. If Logen will even be in this, I suspect he will finally meet his end. Are there any young Northmen who could be suitable badasses? I know that in The Heroes there was that teenager who knocked Bremer out, but if I remember correctly he didn't want anything to do with war after that battle.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, them too. At the same time this makes me a bit sad. An old Bloody-Nine won't be the same. If Logen will even be in this, I suspect he will finally meet his end. Are there any young Northmen who could be suitable badasses? I know that in The Heroes there was that teenager who knocked Bremer out, but if I remember correctly he didn't want anything to do with war after that battle.

was that the kid who was a POV in "the heroes"? Joe's world has a tendency to laugh in the face of people's intentions so he could return.

Maybe Dogman or even Calder's spawn? Calder's kid could actually turn out ok, despite hisher dad and probably be pretty clever/sly.

I think Logen will appear but I almost hope he doesn't as i spent most of "red country" fearing for his life

I am really hoping this new series isn't simply The First Law: The Next Generation. I have the utmost confidence in Joe's ability to introduce fantastic characters, but would prefer not having too many offspring or relations of current characters. It would minimize the scope of the world and story by being so familial. But again, I trust in Joe.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:28 AM, Corvinus said:

I wasn't thinking spoilt, so much as soft.  Someone like Tommen, say.

I should think that in addition to her military prowess, the executioner and the torturer are the cornerstones of Monza's government.

On 01/10/2016 at 8:58 PM, Astromech said:

I am really hoping this new series isn't simply The First Law: The Next Generation. I have the utmost confidence in Joe's ability to introduce fantastic characters, but would prefer not having too many offspring or relations of current characters. It would minimize the scope of the world and story by being so familial. But again, I trust in Joe.

Given how his shattered sea books dealt with 2-3 generations (or at least people separated by 7-10 years per group) I wonder if he enjoyed this approach or was even experimenting with the approach for the next First law trilogy.

Like you said, he's earned our trust at this point. I doubt everyone will be connected to old characters - some of the POVs may even be tangential eg "friend of the prince" or "teacher of" etc.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Given how his shattered sea books dealt with 2-3 generations (or at least people separated by 7-10 years per group) I wonder if he enjoyed this approach or was even experimenting with the approach for the next First law trilogy.

Like you said, he's earned our trust at this point. I doubt everyone will be connected to old characters - some of the POVs may even be tangential eg "friend of the prince" or "teacher of" etc.

I still have not read that series.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

It's well worth a look - especially if you enjoy Joe's writing. Don't be put off by the YA label it is just as cynical with funny characters as his first law books. I think he also picked up the ability to cover a lot of ground in fewer words which made the books really lean and well-paced. Often authors have a tendency to become more bloated in their writing as they become more reluctant to cut out material. I think Joe's always been very keen on editing though but that series takes it up a level. If he keeps that economic style in mind for the new trilogy we'll see a lot happening.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

42 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's well worth a look - especially if you enjoy Joe's writing. Don't be put off by the YA label it is just as cynical with funny characters as his first law books. I think he also picked up the ability to cover a lot of ground in fewer words which made the books really lean and well-paced. Often authors have a tendency to become more bloated in their writing as they become more reluctant to cut out material. I think Joe's always been very keen on editing though but that series takes it up a level. If he keeps that economic style in mind for the new trilogy we'll see a lot happening.

Definitely worth reading.

Archived