[possible spoilers] TOJ...how optimistic are you?

ToTheWolves

The ToJ was 7 on 3. In the trailer I hadn't noticed 7, but I could be wrong.

Also Sir Authur Dayne was not the main character defending the Tower. Lord Commander of the Kings guard Gerrold Hightower gets that honor.

The book is around 5000 pages, the tower of Joy represents maybe 1.5 pages in book 1 and its probably the most important part of the entire series.

Ned describes those with him as wraiths moving in as Sir Authur Dayne casually puts on his helmet. Its going to be epic.

4 hours ago, Pies are coming said:

How do you introduce Dawn in the show? Would Arthur Dayne say "Behold my legendary sword made of a meteorite"? It wouldn't work

Bran Looks to Bloodraven:  That was ... 

Bloodraven:  Says some Bloodraven type stuff

Bran:  The sword Dayne carried is not like anything I have ever seen.  

Bloodraven:  It is Dawn, ancestral blade of House Dayne, forged from a fallen star and older and stronger than any Valyrian Steel in existence.  

Bran:  Dayne was protecting Jon, he is Rhaegars son, he is king. 

scene continues.

*DONE*  

15 seconds.  But then again, that is 15 seconds less bewbs in the show; can't have that.

24 minutes ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

Bran Looks to Bloodraven:  That was ... 

Bloodraven:  Says some Bloodraven type stuff

Bran:  The sword Dayne carried is not like anything I have ever seen.  

Bloodraven:  It is Dawn, ancestral blade of House Dayne, forged from a fallen star and older and stronger than any Valyrian Steel in existence.  

Bran:  Dayne was protecting Jon, he is Rhaegars son, he is king. 

scene continues.

*DONE*  

15 seconds.  But then again, that is 15 seconds less bewbs in the show; can't have that.

Yeah, but what's the point if it is the once and only time we see Dawn. If anything they could just have Arthur fight with a unique looking sword (even if only a fraction of the viewers would catch that) and explain it's origins in the History and Lore later on. 

I'd rather if the exposition time is spent on the circumstances of the ToJ and Arthur himself than the piece of metal he's holding. 

16 hours ago, ToTheWolves said:

So based off of the preview for oath breaker it looks like TOJ will be happening. I posted this in another thread, but figured I'd start a topic on it. Based on what we have saw from trailers and other things concerning the TOJ...how optimistic are you? Do you think D&D will deliver? Or do you think they will ruin it? I can tell you now it looks like they are "hollywooding" it up. Que double sword wielding Dayne. Also neds delivery of "now it ends" didn't strike me as sad and poetic, but as a "fuck yeah let's fight!" 

With ramsay possibly-most likely getting rickon in his grasp, arya maybe not warging and the TOJ possibly being turned into an all out slobber knocker. The "rant without repercussions" thread is going to explode!

Keep in mind that since the TOJ sequence is never described by GRRM in detail there are therefore a multiplicity of interpretations about what occurs, none of them "correct." And that includes whatever interpretation GRRM's may have. Just "different" interpretations.

(If you are asking about technical aspects of how the sequence is portrayed that is another issue.)

14 hours ago, Pies are coming said:

People imagine the books as they wish. For long term fans, who had read the scene over and over, the TOJ has to happen the way it happens inside their heads.

Since D&D aren't telepaths and, in any case, every fan is picturing the TOJ differently, they'll show their imagining of the scene. And it's not going to match what hardline fans have in their minds. So yeah, haters are gonna hate.

Which is a pity, because spitting at the show for not portraying every nuisance one has in their head about the book is a way to ruin the enjoyment of watching the show. But, to each his own.

Yep, good points. Said better than me, above.

5 hours ago, Pies are coming said:
29 minutes ago, Hangover of the Morning said:

Yeah, but what's the point if it is the once and only time we see Dawn.

Wont let me write outside of quote box; heh.

There it goes.  

Point is that it is a ancient sword, named Dawn, when there is literally a battle coming called "The Battle for the Dawn."  When there was already a battle for the Dawn spoken of in history, after the Long Night, which was brought by the Others.  Others whose existence both Bloodraven and Bran are more than aware of.  

Doesn't take alot to deduce it will be vital to the battle.  Again, 15 - 30 seconds.  When the episodes have ben running under 50 minutes anyhow; still plenty of time for exposition.  Not wasting time and adds a layer to the storytelling that is lacking.  

Maybe I am an optimist, but it seems like they will keep the same lines in the TOJ scene as in the book. I am hoping it is epic. I also think we will only see the battle scene outside of the Tower, and the big reveal will come in a later episode.

8 minutes ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

There it goes.  

Point is that it is a ancient sword, named Dawn, when there is literally a battle coming called "The Battle for the Dawn."  When there was already a battle for the Dawn spoken of in history, after the Long Night, which was brought by the Others.  Others whose existence both Bloodraven and Bran are more than aware of.  

Doesn't take alot to deduce it will be vital to the battle.  Again, 15 - 30 seconds.  When the episodes have ben running under 50 minutes anyhow; still plenty of time for exposition.  Not wasting time and adds a layer to the storytelling that is lacking.  

Firstly, whilst some sort of a major conflict against the Others is almost inevitable, we have no idea if there is going to be one "Battle of the Dawn" or whatever. It's pure speculation now. Secondly, while obsidian and valyrian steel were shown to be effective against Whites and White Walkers respectively, and thus will be needed in great quantities,  there's no indication to suggest that one "special" weapon will be vital in defeating the Others. Really not George's style to have one object or one person to be the deciding factor in a conflict of this magnitude.

Dawn and title of the Sword of the Morning have really cool and mysterious backstory but so far have had zero relevance on the ongoing events of the books. 

To be honest, the only thing that I hope for is that they show the whole TOJ scene (the fight, the promise, just the whole story) in one episode and complete, not like five minutes at the beginning of the episode, next five minutes after 30 minutes and the rest at the end. My biggest fear is that they do just the fight and then Ned comes in and sees Lyanna and ta-da! cut! let's move to Dany, Jaime, Tyrion, whoever and the TOJ story to be continued in episodes to come.

But - although I may be naive - I have a feeling that they show it all. Considering that Jon's just came from dead, it would be more than fitting to finally know his history.

17 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

To be honest, the only thing that I hope for is that they show the whole TOJ scene (the fight, the promise, just the whole story) in one episode and complete, not like five minutes at the beginning of the episode, next five minutes after 30 minutes and the rest at the end. My biggest fear is that they do just the fight and then Ned comes in and sees Lyanna and ta-da! cut! let's move to Dany, Jaime, Tyrion, whoever and the TOJ story to be continued in episodes to come.

But - although I may be naive - I have a feeling that they show it all. Considering that Jon's just came from dead, it would be more than fitting to finally know his history.

The question is why would they show his history? Us readers know, but the unsullied dont. They can really hold back from that and just go the Bran vision route and show the fight and cut from there. Unless its information thats useful to Bran, that part will be cut. Why tell us watchers about Snow if snow know nothing (low hanging fruit)?

40 minutes ago, Charlie Hustle said:

The question is why would they show his history? Us readers know, but the unsullied dont. They can really hold back from that and just go the Bran vision route and show the fight and cut from there. Unless its information thats useful to Bran, that part will be cut. Why tell us watchers about Snow if snow know nothing (low hanging fruit)?

We readers *think* that we know. R+L=J seems to be very possible to happen and I'm not saying it isn't. What I am saying is that if is true, it could be pretty epic (and probably also a bit cliché) if they showed what happened, who are Jon's parents etc just when he came back to life. And for once I think it could work in the way that before he died, he was Jon Snow, a bastard of Ned Stark, but now, after he came back, he's someone else, there's a new layer, a new dimension, a new identity (although he probably wouldn't be aware of it).

I'm dreading it, actually. I quite like the show but this is easily my favorite passage in the books. Unfortunately there's virtually no way they can do it justice. The passage is more like poetry, really, and we barely get the backstory behind guys like Dayne/Reed or the true prestige of the Kingsguard. Based on how the young Ned actor delivers the line "now it ends" I already know I'll hate it, which is fine by me because I never expected the show to even come 1/10 as close as the books did for this particular scene.

18 hours ago, Pies are coming said:

People imagine the books as they wish. For long term fans, who had read the scene over and over, the TOJ has to happen the way it happens inside their heads.

Since D&D aren't telepaths and, in any case, every fan is picturing the TOJ differently, they'll show their imagining of the scene. And it's not going to match what hardline fans have in their minds. So yeah, haters are gonna hate.

Which is a pity, because spitting at the show for not portraying every nuisance one has in their head about the book is a way to ruin the enjoyment of watching the show. But, to each his own.

Yeah cause we never have the fight and etc... in the book. Your mind fills in all these things that would disappoint you if that doesn't happen.

this happens in manga a lot 

This drawn page becomes in your mind so much more epic than the anime 

http://i1.mangapicgallery.com/r/newpiclink/one_piece/427/7835932abfe0afe24e2126c29f0a0ec1.jpeg

I always thought Howland frogspeared Dayne in the neck, as he and Ned were fighting on the stairs. 

See? everyone really does have different images of this particular scene. No matter how you adapt it, it will disappoint someone. That guy on page 1 was right. 

As for how optimistic i am, im both excited and frightened. I really dont want it to suck, but i cant expect it to be the coolest thing ever either. Maybe it will surprise me. Maybe it will be the coolest thing ever. I dunno. All i know is that its about time they start discussing this outright in the show. I need to hear "Promise me, Ned." 

I always imagined the fight between the Kingsguard and Ned's men would be inside the tower at the bottom level, in a dark dimly lit room. Then when the battle is over, Ned and Howland go up the stairs to see Lyanna. I never imagined the fight would take place outside, that's just how I saw it in my head.

It better not turn out like this http://giphy.com/gifs/lNbJcGbbIXYZ2/html5

13 hours ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

There it goes.  

In other words you have a theory that sword called dawn will be vital in the battle of dawn which is not confirmed in the books or seen .

So if that sword is that important to the story moving forward why wwouldn D& D is not using it ..it shows the sword does not matter and only present for a cool backstory ..

They have already had valyrian steel as dragonsteel to kill WW...if dawn is needed then it will be shown. ..if it is not shown then it is not needed its that simple...

Its time people differentiate what is in the books what is a theory . 

17 hours ago, Bran Snow said:

I always saw it as Reed stabbing Dayne in the back. Ned gets knocked down and is about to be finished off by Dayne and Reed stabs him with his frog spear.

Have you guys seen the leaked footage from the phone recording?

Archived