Authors who vanished from the face of the planet

Darth Richard II

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Volsky's new books had to have to most inappropriate covers for a fantasy ever ever x1000. Like whoever came up with those and the ad campaign(which targeted romance readers) must have been high. That being said I don't think they sold too well...

Paula Volsky!  I thought she had passed away until her story in the Songs of the Dying Earth Jack Vance tribute collection, called "The Traditions of Karzh" came out.  It was a pretty good story, but seriously, I didn't know she was still writing.

For some reason the library in the Seoul Grand Hyatt club level had a large number of her 80's or 90's novels, and I used to pick them out and read them when I was there over a weekend.  I literally never saw her books anywhere else.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Volsky's new books had to have to most inappropriate covers for a fantasy ever ever x1000. Like whoever came up with those and the ad campaign(which targeted romance readers) must have been high. That being said I don't think they sold too well.

Dan Simmons was replaced with a pod person in 1999. It is known.

Yup.  Those covers were gawd awful. And started out okay...but I didn't finish. Life's too short.

As for Dan Simmons...I can still remember where I was when I read that piece he wrote in 2006 ("The Time Traveller") for his website, written as that month's author update. Off the charts crazypants. That's when I knew the pod people had gotten him.

• 1 month later...

Sean Stewart.  Wrote a dozen books, including the terrific Nobody's Son.  Disappeared to write video game storylines I think, came back and last publish in 2009 final book of a YA trilogy with a co-author, and seems to have disappeared again.

I'd go with Perfect Circle. It is my favorite work of his that I've read.  It was widely praised when it came out (nominated for the Nebula and World Fantasy Awards) and it is nice and short (though that actually applies to all of Stewart's books).  Just be aware it is literary fantasy, not epic fantasy.

I'm glad to see Paula Volsky's name mentioned here. I absolutely loved Illusion, and I read her other 1990s novels. Then it seemed like she disappeared forever. I'm glad to know she's writing, albeit under the name Paula Brandon. Anyone know the reason behind the pseudonym? (And what's the point of a pseudonym if everyone knows who you are anyway?)

Archived