Ironborn and Robb's request

The Fresh PtwP

I was just thinking...if Balon Greyjoy died a bit sooner do any of the potential claimants turn down Robb's request? None seem to have Balon's disdain for the North so imo it's up in the air.

I think all the krakens would join Robb for varying reasons

Euron: Wants the IT. Lannisters currently on IT. Robb is fighting Lannisters. Classic the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Vic: Doesn't have Balon's Northern resentment. He seems proud of his Lannisport victory and is obviously ambitious...I think Theon would have to sell this one, but it wouldn't be difficult. 

Asha: The only one who would care that Robb gave Theon back *sniff*. Most likely to stay neutral though, because she actually considers her people's well being and wouldn't drag them into a war.

Do you think any of the Greyjoys would side with Robb?

Would the IB be enough to tip the scales in Robb's favor?

I don't think Euron would agree to anything, even if they had the same goal in mind.  He might cooperate initially, but the Ironborn are, at their very essence, dicks.  Eventually they'd raid some Northern castle or town just for kicks and the alliance would fall apart.

Asha would be the most likely to actually keep peace with Robb, but she'd also be a lot more careful in committing forces, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

The Ironborn might be tempted if Robb and Theon sold it the right way. The Westerlands are stripped of their best men and there is lots of wealth for the taking. I imagine Asha and Victarion would take the initiative but wouldn't commit to an alliance. Not that Robb needs one, he just needed the Ironborn to fight his enemies.

All Robb had to do was spread the word as far and as fast as he could that it was Theon who defeated and captured Jaime Lannister in single combat.  Give him Jaime's armor and modify it so it showed a Kraken strangling a Lion and Theon would have all the support he needed.

As a side note, if Balon died earlier, Theon would have simply become king with no kingsmoot as Asha and Victarion and Aeron would have all supported him and Aeron would've never called for a kingsmoot.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

As a side note, if Balon died earlier, Theon would have simply become king with no kingsmoot as Asha and Victarion and Aeron would have all supported him and Aeron would've never called for a kingsmoot.

Yeah, but Euron would just kill Theon instead then.

4 minutes ago, CJ McLannister said:

Yeah, but Euron would just kill Theon instead then.

I don't think that would have gone over well.  The Reader says that he thinks Euron already killed Aeron and is only pretending to look for him so people don't call him a kinslayer.  Also, I think the only reason Euron was able to kill the castellan was because everyone was gone, Victarion was off with the Iron Fleet, and Asha was at Deepwood with a decent number of men.  Had Asha and Victarion been there when he died I think Euron would have been powerless.

Good question. Theon obviously would have supported him.

I think Asha would have been interested but I think she would have been clever enough to negotiate a good deal for the Ironborn before committing e.g. land in the North.

Euron might go with it but only if it fitted with his own plans. It would be an alliance of convenience and not a true alliance. He would consider all along that he was only using the boy king and would turn on him in an instant. He wouldn't invade the North, though. He wouldn't see the point.

Victarion might go with it but only because he has no imagination. He wouldn't think of invading the North. But, like with Euron, it would only be an alliance of convenience.

Either way, none of them would have invaded the North and without that it's a different war, especially if the Ironborn invade the Westerlands instead.

I'm surprised so many people think Euron would turn on Robb. I can't see it, yeah he's cruel but his and Robb's game plans match up too much for Euron to screw it up because mustache-twirl...no, Euron doesn't give a lick about the North and at this point Robb is disinterested in the South. Imo Euron is the easiest for Robb to forge an alliance with.

Also people think Asha, Vic and Aeron would support Theon? Please elaborate. 

50 minutes ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

I'm surprised so many people think Euron would turn on Robb. I can't see it, yeah he's cruel but his and Robb's game plans match up too much for Euron to screw it up because mustache-twirl...no, Euron doesn't give a lick about the North and at this point Robb is disinterested in the South. Imo Euron is the easiest for Robb to forge an alliance with.

Also people think Asha, Vic and Aeron would support Theon? Please elaborate. 

Victarion outright states that he would have backed Theon.  Asha clearly cares for her brother and unlike Aeron, Euron, and Victarion Theon probably wouldn't completely dismiss her as a woman and threaten to just marry her off.  Aeron might not have loved Theon since he lived on the mainland for a long time, but his hatred of Euron should have ensured Aeron supported him as well.

16 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

What about the Riverlands?  The Ironborn would want them back eventually.

I don't think they would be against it on principle like Balon was. They could have been convinced, it would have been nice to be on the winning side I imagine. It was a good deal, only a fool would have turned it down. Even if you planned on going back on it later, accepting it now is the smart move. You have cause and backup to do what you're itching to do. 

I don't recall if Theon mentioned Daltons Grejoy's role in the Dance to Balon. Dalton is as precocious as Balon and took advantage where he saw fit to reave. Balon would have been even more foolish if he refused to 'revive' the Red Kraken's deeds in the War of the Five Kings.

But oh well, if he didn't, Theon himself could have taken that role. Could have at least drawn the attention of the 'baloners', the ironborn bent on the Old Way, who are still a sizable force in the Iron Isles.

16 hours ago, CJ McLannister said:

What about the Riverlands?  The Ironborn would want them back eventually.

It's not like they lost them recently. And Robb was pretty much offering to carve up the Westerlands between the two of them. Theon was dreaming of an Ironborn held Casterly Rock.

Well, if Balon dies, Theon becomes the immediate leader. The Kingsmoot happened because there wasn't a male heir. Aeron and Victarion would follow Balon's son. Only Euron could have a say on that, but I think he killed Balon because he knew Theon wasn't around. I don't see him trying to murder Theon.

Without Balon, Theon doesn't have to prove anything to anyone except to the Iron Born, who are either way sworn to obey him anyway. He can only sell them the idea of get a hand on the Westerlands.

On 04/05/2016 at 9:36 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Asha clearly cares for her brother and unlike Aeron, Euron, and Victarion Theon probably wouldn't completely dismiss her as a woman and threaten to just marry her off.

I'm a big Theon fan, but I'm curious as to why you would think this? Theon outright threatens Asha with marrying her off in Clash.

On 5/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Victarion outright states that he would have backed Theon.  Asha clearly cares for her brother and unlike Aeron, Euron, and Victarion Theon probably wouldn't completely dismiss her as a woman and threaten to just marry her off.  Aeron might not have loved Theon since he lived on the mainland for a long time, but his hatred of Euron should have ensured Aeron supported him as well.

She may care for her brother but Balon was grooming her as heir.

Its a Dance of the Squids if Asha truly wanted to press her claim.

Yet before all that happens i figure eventually she would realize she could be the power behind the throne dealing with atheon.

As seen Theon doesnt understand the people he ruled. Theone would need an adviser to help.him better understand they whys of what his people do.

Prime example Theon and his rebaptism. First he could not understand why he needed to go through the ritual. Second he was pissed about having to ruin his fine clothing.

Theon and his first encounter with his father. The necklace iron or gold iron or gold. While his uncles might intially back his claim in time Theon having beeb gone so long and forgetting customs will turn them against him. Expecially if he tried to bring green land principal to the Iron isle.

Archived