Authors and the use of social media

MisterOJ

23 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, who called you a duck? I vaguely remember that.

Yeah I hate when authors use social media to try and shut down negative reviews cough cough Wendig cough.

Sarah Hoyt during one of the sad puppies campaigns.  Last year or the year before.

Several authors have figured out that if they gleefully tweet criticisms of their books on, say, feminist blogs their followers will just as gleefully descend on said blog and engage in 'no you are stupid' campaigns in the comment sections.

I always cringe when an author replies to a negative review. I understand the need to defend yourself, but--just don't. The person who wrote the review probably gave it some thought, and it's unlikely that a word from the author will change her mind. If no thought was put into writing the review, it's even less likely the author can change things.

Also, getting into these online wars just makes the author look petty. A negative review isn't fun to read, but it's an opportunity to improve one's craft (maybe the reviewer has a point) or else to thicken one's skin. In no case does a reply help. 

Archived