Which Combined Reread is the Best?

Since Winds didn't come out this year (I don't know why I let myself get my hopes up), I am doing my usual late spring/early summer reread (always with the small hope that I will finish it late in the summer to hear an announcement that TWOW is coming this winter at last), and plan to do the Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons simultaneous reread.

I am on my sixth (sad I know) reread of the series and this will be first time i attempt this. I wanted to know which reread users favored. So far I am considering:

A Feast with Dragons:  http://afeastwithdragons.com/

All Leather Must Be Boiled: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

If anyone has a preference for either of these or has a different combination they think is best, please let me know.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

For my sixth reread, I followed the chronological order here... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/htmlview#gid=8

Thanks for the response Lost Melnibonean. How did you enjoy that reread? I thought of doing it linearly like that, but noticed that GRRM himself doesn't have the chapter exactly linearly. Hard to do splitting the books the way he did!

1 hour ago, The Sword of the Evening said:

Thanks for the response Lost Melnibonean. How did you enjoy that reread? I thought of doing it linearly like that, but noticed that GRRM himself doesn't have the chapter exactly linearly. Hard to do splitting the books the way he did!

It's kinda cool to see what's happening when. For example, Arya's early Clash chapters happen when other characters are at the end of Game, and Jaime's early Storm chapters happen when other characters are at the end of Clash. Also, you get a better sense of the seasons, and how nice it is in Dorne and Meereen as winter falls in the North. 

I reread them using the Boiled Leather order, and it worked quite well.  The chapters are in order, with one exception, within each book, and it just switches back and forth between the two books.  This makes it easy to read, and leaves the chapters in the order GRRM intended them to be read, at least within each book.   The other suggestions require a lot of going back and forth within each book, which is difficult with a physical copy, and in any case I prefer to read them more or less in the order GRRM intended.

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

I reread them using the Boiled Leather order, and it worked quite well.  The chapters are in order, with one exception, within each book, and it just switches back and forth between the two books.  This makes it easy to read, and leaves the chapters in the order GRRM intended them to be read, at least within each book.   The other suggestions require a lot of going back and forth within each book, which is difficult with a physical copy, and in any case I prefer to read them more or less in the order GRRM intended.

That's the way I'm doing it now, but for us freaks who just can't stop rereading, it's interesting to mix it up. 

I like to POV re-reads for all 5 books.  Tyrion and Arya were  probably my favorites.

Admittedly, I do this using a tablet and the wiki so it's easy to skip through the books and follow one character at a time.  It even makes it easier to find some the Dany chapters easier to read because it's easier track of the Meerenese names.

6 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

I like to POV re-reads for all 5 books.  Tyrion and Arya were  probably my favorites.

Admittedly, I do this using a tablet and the wiki so it's easy to skip through the books and follow one character at a time.  It even makes it easier to find some the Dany chapters easier to read because it's easier track of the Meerenese names.

I've thought about doing that. I think I will next time, but maybe not through all five books, just one at a time? 

I've used the Boiled Leather one.  Using it I marked all the chapters in sequence with little post its and numbered them.  Also printed out the chapters list, then marked down what page the chapter started for each entry.  Lota work but it's paid off when looking for something in AFFC or ADWD.

I'm going to try a PG-13 read and see how coherent the story is.  My ten year old daughter read the first two chapters of Game of Thrones (when she was nine), but I cut her short because it had been too long since I read it and was not sure when the really inappropriate stuff started.  She is devouring books lately, though, and we played a homebrew RPG together loosely based on Game of Thrones that she really enjoyed, so I'm considering letting her read the book with some chapters, or maybe even pages, omitted…so I'm re-reading now and sticking little sticky flags on pages that I don't want her to read, and once I do that I'm going to go back over skipping that and see if it's still worth reading.

9 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Those are great. You pick up on so much when you are focused on a single POV.

7 hours ago, LongRider said:

I've used the Boiled Leather one.  Using it I marked all the chapters in sequence with little post its and numbered them.  Also printed out the chapters list, then marked down what page the chapter started for each entry.  Lota work but it's paid off when looking for something in AFFC or ADWD.

Gal after my own heart. 

8 hours ago, Melisandre's White Pubes said:

I'm going to try a PG-13 read and see how coherent the story is.  My ten year old daughter read the first two chapters of Game of Thrones (when she was nine), but I cut her short because it had been too long since I read it and was not sure when the really inappropriate stuff started.  She is devouring books lately, though, and we played a homebrew RPG together loosely based on Game of Thrones that she really enjoyed, so I'm considering letting her read the book with some chapters, or maybe even pages, omitted…so I'm re-reading now and sticking little sticky flags on pages that I don't want her to read, and once I do that I'm going to go back over skipping that and see if it's still worth reading.

I hope you have a high tolerance for discussions of sex and rape, as well as a lot of bad language, not to mention a fair bit of horrible violence (like beheading a man in front of his children).  If not, you are likely to censor it into complete incoherence.  As far as AGOT is concerned, most of the bad stuff is in Daenerys's chapters, which can be eliminated anyway since she's on the other side of the ocean.  The discovery of the twincest by Bran is the only other thing I can think of, and that can have a few lines removed

Your big problem will come with ACOK, though.  She would probably want to read Arya's chapters which have the worst stuff in them.  Rendering them suitable for a 10 y.o. would probably be impossible. 

16 hours ago, Nevets said:

I hope you have a high tolerance for discussions of sex and rape, as well as a lot of bad language, not to mention a fair bit of horrible violence (like beheading a man in front of his children).  If not, you are likely to censor it into complete incoherence.  As far as AGOT is concerned, most of the bad stuff is in Daenerys's chapters, which can be eliminated anyway since she's on the other side of the ocean.  The discovery of the twincest by Bran is the only other thing I can think of, and that can have a few lines removed

Your big problem will come with ACOK, though.  She would probably want to read Arya's chapters which have the worst stuff in them.  Rendering them suitable for a 10 y.o. would probably be impossible. 

Non tortuous violence is OK, as is non graphic mentions of people having sex.  The discovery of twincest should be OK, she'll get that Bran is seeing people having sex but since it's from his POV it's not graphic.  Many of Daenerys sex scenes will have to be cut, though.  I haven't made it to Clash yet.

Archived