Thoughts on House Manderly in show (ADwD Spoilers, Possible show spoilers)

*****Spoilers ahead, I would not read this if you are not caught up in books

So in episode 2, Ramsay stated that he had the support of the Manderlys, Umbers and Karstark, and that their combined power was greater than the rest of the North combined.

We know from the books, that Ramsay is probably only right about the Karstarks.  It seems like the Manderly's are simply playing the Boltons and the Umbers are helping.  Frey pies, the North Remembers, Jeyne's escape, etc.  I think this will hold true in the show.  There was a scene in the previews that showed what looked like a Frey wedding, I think the pies are certainly in play.  However, I was wondering your thoughts on how they would pull it off, given the show has diverged from the books greatly, i.e. Stannis is dead (maybe), Sansa has escaped, Theon is on his way to Pyke for the Kingsmoot (I'm guessing), etc.

The show is moving really fast.  Look what happened to Dorne, wtf was that garbage. (Big show fan, but hated Dorne).  So if they do introduce the Manderlys and even remotely try to set up a great or mini Northern Conspiracy, they have no time to set up the characters, introduce that plot and finish it before the much anticipated bastard bowl.  (I am assuming this will happen because it makes good tv, and Ramsay divulged his plan to kill Jon before killing Roose). 

I am figuring that the Manderly's plot may be limited to the Riverlands or wherever that place was that showed Walder in the preview.  I also figure that the Umbers will betray Ramsay in the field during bastard bowl.  But, I think whatever they do is probably gonna be pretty clunky.  Thoughts? Any shot that D&D pull it off?

I thought it's quite obvious but maybe I'm wrong?

this is how I see it roughly being played out:

Rickon to Ramsay.

Pink Letter calls out Jon or Davos/Jon need recruits for WW threat.

Davos goes out to recruit. Davos gets to Manderly's and gives his speech about Ramsay being a freak and needs to be stopped. A Bolton ally is there so Manderly 'arrests' Davos and sends him to his death! (Audience are like 'nooo, not Davos!!').

Some time later...

We see Davos (yay he's alive!) and Manderly (maybe someone else) gives the apology and mummers f'arse' speech. "Get me my liege Lord Rickon off Ramsay and you'll have my backing..." Or some such. 

Bastard Bowl!

Get Hype!!

On 5/5/2016 at 0:06 PM, The Snark of Winterfell said:

*****Spoilers ahead, I would not read this if you are not caught up in books

So in episode 2, Ramsay stated that he had the support of the Manderlys, Umbers and Karstark, and that their combined power was greater than the rest of the North combined.

We know from the books, that Ramsay is probably only right about the Karstarks.  It seems like the Manderly's are simply playing the Boltons and the Umbers are helping.  Frey pies, the North Remembers, Jeyne's escape, etc.  I think this will hold true in the show.  There was a scene in the previews that showed what looked like a Frey wedding, I think the pies are certainly in play.  However, I was wondering your thoughts on how they would pull it off, given the show has diverged from the books greatly, i.e. Stannis is dead (maybe), Sansa has escaped, Theon is on his way to Pyke for the Kingsmoot (I'm guessing), etc.

The show is moving really fast.  Look what happened to Dorne, wtf was that garbage. (Big show fan, but hated Dorne).  So if they do introduce the Manderlys and even remotely try to set up a great or mini Northern Conspiracy, they have no time to set up the characters, introduce that plot and finish it before the much anticipated bastard bowl.  (I am assuming this will happen because it makes good tv, and Ramsay divulged his plan to kill Jon before killing Roose). 

I am figuring that the Manderly's plot may be limited to the Riverlands or wherever that place was that showed Walder in the preview.  I also figure that the Umbers will betray Ramsay in the field during bastard bowl.  But, I think whatever they do is probably gonna be pretty clunky.  Thoughts? Any shot that D&D pull it off?

Yeah about that

Spoiler

guys on reddit who have been like 100% right so far on the plot say only the Umbers and Karstarsk fight with the Boltons in this battle. The Manderly's were just name dropped also based on said reddit guys their is no GNC

3 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Yeah about that

Reveal hidden contents

guys on reddit who have been like 100% right so far on the plot say only the Umbers and Karstarsk fight with the Boltons in this battle. The Manderly's were just name dropped also based on said reddit guys their is no GNC

So who's this Northern Lord who gets to give a speech then? (casting call)

2 minutes ago, WinterPool Stark said:

So who's this Northern Lord who gets to give a speech then? (casting call)

Spoiler

the rumor is it's the head of  House Mazin (a house they invited in honor of their friend) who apparently is at the battle http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/House_Mazin

Hopefully there won't be any Manderlies (is that right? Manderly - Manderlies?) the writers would probably want to subvert the story just for the sake of putting their own fingerprints on the work. Any how GRRM is too busy to play Wyman and frankly who would be better? (The author saying the line and now this mummers farce is almost done.)

6 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

Hopefully there won't be any Manderlies (is that right? Manderly - Manderlies?) the writers would probably want to subvert the story just for the sake of putting their own fingerprints on the work. Any how GRRM is too busy to play Wyman and frankly who would be better? (The author saying the line and now this mummers farce is almost done.)

Brilliant! I so want GRRM to do the Wyman speech now. 

".. and now this mummer's farce is almost done." (Looks at the camera and wink, wink) end credits... 

Special announcement!

The Winds of Winter release date!

A Dream of Spring to Follow

11 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The guy on reddit says their is no double cross the Vale saves the day

Spoiler

Thats so typical. I guess with there being no GNC it should make this obvious. 

22 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:
  Hide contents

Omfg. The Vale saves the day? I'm so sick of character "rewrites" for scene purposes, conveniently forgetting stuff from previous seasons to further shock and awe, plot contrivances, ect ect. JON season 3 " you(wildlings) won't win 7 times you tried 7 times you failed. You're untrained with inferior weapons and armour." Jon season 6 "Let's go have a pitched battle with the Boltons because we are awesome.... oh shit we are getting our asses kicked how is this possible! Oh wait Littlefinger to the rescue... yay!!!" 

21 minutes ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Omfg. The Vale saves the day? I'm so sick of character "rewrites" for scene purposes, conveniently forgetting stuff from previous seasons to further shock and awe, plot contrivances, ect ect. JON season 3 " you(wildlings) won't win 7 times you tried 7 times you failed. You're untrained with inferior weapons and armour." Jon season 6 "Let's go have a pitched battle with the Boltons because we are awesome.... oh shit we are getting our asses kicked how is this possible! Oh wait Littlefinger to the rescue... yay!!!" 

Spoiler

The man who killed Eddard becomes the hero of the North :/ 

23 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:
  Hide contents

Catching up a little, and came across this and all I have to say is NNnnnnOOOooooooooo!

What was the point of "the north remembers" from randoms last season??? How is this condensing the storylines??? Instead of bringing houses together to go against the bad guys and getting them off screen, they expand the plotting? Sounds like Meereen will also get the implosion-explosion treatment.

5 minutes ago, Ruhail said:
  Hide contents

The man who killed Eddard becomes the hero of the North :/ 

I mean I could get behind that irony but this is all a power grab game to him(LF) so it kind of(actually) moots the irony. 

And don't get me wrong I'm one of the few people who likes the actor they casted as Littlefinger. It's just as I said above they would conveniently forget that in season 3 Jon knew better so they could have littlefinger save the day to expand on his arch but doing that by killing another's arch; where's killing the boy? Where's the growth we seen from his fight with Carl to the Thenn. Maybe I shouldn't judge right without seeing it but in my eyes it's them forgeting what happened in one season for this season.

23 minutes ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

I mean I could get behind that irony but this is all a power grab game to him(LF) so it kind of(actually) moots the irony. 

And don't get me wrong I'm one of the few people who likes the actor they casted as Littlefinger. It's just as I said above they would conveniently forget that in season 3 Jon knew better so they could have littlefinger save the day to expand on his arch but doing that by killing another's arch; where's killing the boy? Where's the growth we seen from his fight with Carl to the Thenn. Maybe I shouldn't judge right without seeing it but in my eyes it's them forgeting what happened in one season for this season.

Spoiler

The show north has definitely gone waaaaaaay off book for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Ruhail said:
  Hide contents

The show north has definitely gone waaaaaaay off book for sure. 

Agreed. And Dorn, and Riverlands, and Essos, and soon Iron Islands. Though I'm happy with YarAsha it's probably just my book bais of her character being projected onto her show character as her book character is my favorite female POV.

41 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Catching up a little, and came across this and all I have to say is NNnnnnOOOooooooooo!

What was the point of "the north remembers" from randoms last season??? How is this condensing the storylines??? Instead of bringing houses together to go against the bad guys and getting them off screen, they expand the plotting? Sounds like Meereen will also get the imposion-explosion treatment.

"The North remembers" died last year when no one not even the "mega wildling hating" Umbers joined Stannis

4 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

"The North remembers" died last year when no one not even the "mega wildling hating" Umbers joined Stannis

Yeah, I was still a summer child then and hoped there would suddenly a Northern army to fight the Boltons. And then the ending of Stannis' awful storyline happened.

They completely destroyed all those Northern houses with what they did last season by letting not care about Ned's girl and about just doing nothing. 

Archived