Does anyone have any idea what Ramsay and Roose were arguing about on the dais?

BoltonsBastard

From ADWD, Theon:

Up on the dais, Ramsay was arguing with his father. They were too far away for Theon to make out any of the words, but the fear on Fat Walda’s round pink face spoke volumes

I got that quote from this,
http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Contents.html

From the 2ND chapter called  the bride and the groom.  It's the best read out of any essay on the Boltons.  I believe that argument takes place the chapter before Theon escapes with Farya. I recommend you read it. I'm getting started on the other chapters. 

Anyone have any guesses? I've always wondered what they were arguing about, since the First time I read it. If the evidence as to the topic of their argument is there, I've never seen it.  
Fat Walda seems terrified. 

Shortly after there's this passage:

"I see you all want blood," the Lord of the Dreadfort said. Maester Rhodry stood beside him, a raven on his arm. The bird's black plumage shone like coal oil in the torchlight. Wet, Theon realized. And in his lordship' s hand, a parchment. That will be wet as well. Dark wings, dark words. "Rather than use our swords upon each other, you might try them on Lord Stannis."

Lord Bolton unrolled the parchment. "His host lies not three days' ride from here, snowbound and starving, and I for one am tired of waiting on his pleasure. Ser Hosteen, assemble your knights and men-at-arms by the main gates. As you are so eager for battle, you shall strike our first blow. Lord Wyman, gather your White Harbor men by the east gate. They shall go forth as well."

So I assume they were arguing over how best to deal with this new information, before the Frey-Manderly fight prompted Roose to send all the rowdy ones against Stannis. I imagine Roose wanted to stay within Winterfell and let the blizzard starve his enemies, whereas Ramsay wanted to attack.

11 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

So I assume they were arguing over how best to deal with this new information, before the Frey-Manderly fight prompted Roose to send all the rowdy ones against Stannis. I imagine Roose wanted to stay within Winterfell and let the blizzard starve his enemies, whereas Ramsay wanted to attack.

That was most likely a part of the conversation, but I don't see why it should terrify Walda - unless it was not the topic but the manner of the discussion, which made her realize that she married into a family of beasts.

Do not think Ramsey ever bought the bullshit Roose was throwing out about "being his first born"...since Ramsey was not his first, regardless.

Ramsey is a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them.  He saw Roose's plan as soon as he made the comment about Walda's weight in gold, and has probably been plotting since it was announced the sow was pregnant.

I would not have put it past Ramsey at this point in the novel to make some reference to Domeric, which would have terrified Walda to this extent.

I'm gonna guess,

Roose wants to wait and see. Or even better, let the rebels and Stannis die in the snow.

Ramsey wants to go and kill 'somebody'.

Stuck in there together will be a real test for the Boltons. Roose does not hide his scorn for Ramsey nor does he keep his son's glaring flaws a secret. Ramsey is a completely different sort of ruler to his father. 

Interesting. I might guess that Walda felt somewhat protected from Ramsay by the presence of the Frey troops, and would lose that protection with them gone. Any male children she would give Roose would certainly be in danger from Ramsay, as she would herself.

Perhaps Ramsay or Roose made some reference to Walda's as-yet-unborn child? With Ramsay, it easily could have been something sinister directed towards Walda or the baby, but there also could have been just a general mention of the difficulties of childbirth and/or perils of infancy in a castle under seige as winter sets in. Or, it could have been mentioned how all the Northern lords loyal to the Starks want the Freys (and Boltons) dead, which puts Walda and her baby at double risk, should Stannis's army reach them.

5 hours ago, DigUpHerBones said:

Do not think Ramsey ever bought the bullshit Roose was throwing out about "being his first born"...since Ramsey was not his first, regardless.

Ramsey is a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them.  He saw Roose's plan as soon as he made the comment about Walda's weight in gold, and has probably been plotting since it was announced the sow was pregnant.

I would not have put it past Ramsey at this point in the novel to make some reference to Domeric, which would have terrified Walda to this extent.

I agree, and I also think he is not as impetuous as he sometimes appears.  After all, when he was captured as Reek, he certainly bided his time before making a move. Yes, sometimes he may fly off the handle, but if he has a plan, he is going to stick to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 10:20 AM, Ygrain said:

That was most likely a part of the conversation, but I don't see why it should terrify Walda - unless it was not the topic but the manner of the discussion, which made her realize that she married into a family of beasts.

She is a Frey, and she was present at the Red Wedding. She should not be that surprised by a 'family of beasts'. But even the Freys find Ramsay repulsive, so yeah. As mentioned by others on this thread, Ramsay might have favored an open war and defeating Stannis once and for all, whereas Roose would have found it foolish, leaving the weather to take care of Stannis. Ramsay may have said the Frey army is a waste of food if they are not used against their enemies, and Walda would be scared for the life of her cousin Hosteen, but more importantly for her own safety in a Frey-free, Ramsay-rich Winterfell.

On 6/5/2016 at 1:22 PM, Ser Leftwich said:

Crackpot: Roose and Ramsay talking about having killed Little Walder, in order to provoke the Freys. Then Roose has an excuse to send the hot-headed out to fight/die, which is how the Freys react.

That is the same thing that Bran Vras suggests in that essay, because Walda is more terrified at the discussion and she only cried out when violence erupted between Freys and Manderlys, than when they brought Little Walder's body to the hall. Meaning Walda knew if before, probably during this discussion quoted by OP.

Another way to view this is, Ramsay killed Little Walder (see Huis Clos for how/why he could have done it). Then he went to Roose and asked to send some armies out to defeat Stannis. Roose argued against this, as Ramsay knew he would. In comes the timely news of Little Walder's death. Assisted by Big Walder's 'evidence', a clash is easily started between Freys and Manderlys, forcing Roose to send out troups, thereby doing what Ramsay wanted. Ramsay's motivations in sending out soldiers could be anything: For one, Ramsay will feel that the increased number of traitors is more danger than help during a siege. This Roose could also have agreed upon, but Ramsay wanted the Freys out of the castle, which could be against Roose and definitely against Walda's wishes. Yet another possibility is that Ramsay himself will ride out, disguised as a common soldier or something, so infiltrate Stannis's camp. He could reach Stannis alone (or with twenty good men), and blend in with the camp which already contains of a mixture of soldiers from different places. I do not know how he will pull off a disguise, but Theon warns Stannis that Ramsay will come for him, using trickery rather than open combat (Theon, TWOW). If this was what Ramsay was asking Roose the permission to do, I can see Roose being hell-bent against it, because Roose does not want to risk Ramsay's life in such a mad plan.

Archived