Jon Sitting The Iron Throne

Cortney Newtson

First time posting, so here goes...I've been going a little crazy trying to piece together the most logical next steps for the plot based on what we've got textual evidence for...and it's been so hard, because there are so many unknowns. But I wanted to start with the few main things that I've got serious questions about.

1. Let's assume that R +L = J. I personally believe that there's enough textual evidence to support this, mostly because Ned's fever dream is too detailed to be anything other than a memory. Other people have already laid the groundwork to support this, so I don't feel the need to go into detail (working on the assumtion that you're all as crazy as I am). Reaghar says states that 'the dragon must have three heads' and at one point thought that he himself was the Promised Prince, so lets assume that this is somehow related to the Azor Azahi and Prince That Was Promised prophecies. (If any one knows of good textual examinations of this, I would love to read it, I haven't found anything substantial) Working under the assumption that Jon is one of three, and that there will be three parts of AA/PtwP (again assuming that these are interchangable and not two seperate prophecies) then how will Jon come into a position where he is able and capable of sitting the Iron Throne?
    1. There are a lot of things at play that will seriously affect Jon in the short term (again, assuming that he's warging and not dying) such as (but not limited to):
      1. The textual evidence that at the minimum, Manderley is up to something, and at the maximum, the Grand Northern Conspiracy in all it's crackpot tinfoilyness. 
      2. Textual evidence that Littlefinger is planning to unite the Vale and the North through Sansa, and is already in personal control of the Riverlands
        1. which, btw, if the Blackfish shows up in the Vale, how does that affect Littlefinger's plan?
      3. Textual evidence that Cat Stark is still in play, and that the BWB is at minimum, also up to something. I don't even want to guess at what they're up to, there are too many variables. 
      4. Where Rickon and Shaggy Dog pop back in 
    2. Then there's all the things that are going to affect Jon long term, such as (but not limited to):
      1. How Dany gets to Westros (my bet is on Victarion)
      2. When she gets to Westeros (I'm not even going to try to make an educated guess)
      3. How quickly anyone can prove/disprove Aegon's lineage and claim 
    3. Who would support him, and how?

I saw how long this was getting and realized I'd better just post the one tangled up ball rather than the whole bag of knitting. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, and get some more source materials to read, especially if they rely heavily on text. Anyway, hope everyone has a good day/night. Thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...

I hate the idea that someone's first post sinks out of site with zero responses. You've done a good job of picking out some of the things that seem important to the short (or maybe medium-long) and long-term resolution of Jon's storyline. Other questions might include:

Is Jon free from his Night's Watch vow?

What will Bran do, now that he is more conscious of his powers and his role?

What effect will the Lannisters have? How 'bout Tyrells? Daynes? Robert Arryn? Melisandre? Davos? fAegon? The White Walkers?

I'm guessing that, like you, people in the forum see this as one tangled ball. It's easier to respond to something narrow and focused, I'm thinking, which might explain why people are reading your post (or the duplicate) but not responding. Maybe you could start a new discussion by picking a narrow slice of Jon's dilemma and seeing if people have an opinion about that? It can also help to provide specific passages from the text, and to say, "This is how I interpret this, what do you think?" - specific citations are particularly valued in this reread section of the forum. You've done that to some extent with paraphrases of the AA story and PtwP prophecy, but people may be all tapped out on those theories, since they have been the focus of much past discussion on different threads.

I may be wrong, though. I've posted a number of things that have gone over with the forum like a lead balloon. So I'm no expert.

I hope you get some more feedback.

P.S. I'm not convinced by R + L = J, so I don't have a lot of substance to add on that topic. I believe Jon was born in the North, maybe in the Winterfell crypt. I see his destiny remaining in the North and someone he likes ending up on the Iron Throne. (Gendry? Davos? Arya?)

You've called your thread Jon sitting the Iron Throne but I don't see that the 'three' prophecy necessarily relates to sitting the Iron Throne, but to having the fiery blood, magic and dragons to fight the Others. A coalition of three people with the right attributes and in the right places (e.g. leading the Night's Watch) makes sense. I assume Jon is one and Dany another, if Aegon is real, that would make it easy, wouldn't it? People tend to interpret Rhaegar saying there must be three as relating to his own offspring and since his daughter at least is dead then that isn't going to happen, but three people of Targ blood is still possible. But perhaps the third will not be of Targ blood.

Personally I like the idea that as events pan out it won't be crystal clear and indisputable who the three are so that we can still argue this for years after the series ends.

I'm not saying Jon won't sit the Iron Throne, there is Dany's visions of the snow on the throne, I am not sure if there are other hints specifically about sitting the throne.

Archived