Re Syrio Forrel

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, The Great Udder said:

I often wonder how Ned manage to secure Syrio as Arya's dance instructor. Could it be thru Varys by way of Illyrio?

Per the wiki: As a young man, Illyrio was a poor bravo, living by his blade.

What do you guys think?

I don't believe he is dead, but I agree that either Varys or Littlefinger probably put him there.  We'll find out when he returns to the story I guess.

that is an interesting wondering, actually.  why was there a random bravosi expert swordsman on hand for ned to hire?  i guess at that time in KL, there were a lot of people from a lot of places, because it was a fun and diverse court, with a history of 15 years of peace (except a few skirmishes here and there), so it's possible there were people from all over the world in KL.  still... could definitely be through varys and/or illyrio and/or LF.  i hope we find out more!

This one bothered me as well.. It seems everyone knows everyone in ASOIAF so how is it that only Ned of the North knows this former First Sword of Braavos is not just a dance instructor? I would expect Syrio would be at least as well known as someone like Jalabhar Xho

• 3 weeks later...

I do not believe that Syrio is Jacqen.  It is mentioned in one of the books (I don't remember where exactly) that the 3 men from the black cells (of which Jacqen is part) were given to Yoren by Ned when he was standing in for Robert.  This means Jacqen was in the dungeon before Syrio was "killed", and thus they cannot be the same person.

Personally I find it a bit frustrating that many people theorize that everyone is connected in the world.  I think George was going for something bigger.  It reminds of me the whole "Oh you're from Canada? Do you know Jane in Vancouver?".

Ned Stark was basically the prime minister for one of the largest nations in the world.  I am sure it would not be difficult for him to hire a retired Bravosi swordsman to teach his child.  Remember that these people do not have facebook or the internet: almost no one in Westeros is going to know anything about Bravosi politics.  They might have vague knowledge of what the men of Bravos are like, and may recognize the accent or dress style.

I don't believe Syrio was an agent of Varys/Illyrio. If so, I doubt Arya would have been lost. The similarities between Syrio and the Kindly Man are intriguing to me, and I do think it would be awesome if there was a reveal concerning that later on, but I have no idea how likely that is. It's totally possible that Syrio had no ulterior motive. In fact, I believe he could have been a Faceless Man who initially didn't have a reason to train Arya, but in becoming her instructor, saw her potential and sent word a long to the House. Who knows? It's hard for me to accept that people are merely who they say they are, especially in Arya's POV.

I always just figured the guy had been staying in Kings Landing for a while and when Ned went asking around discreetly about a sword instructor he was referred to Syrio since his style of fighting was more fit for someone Arya's size. I totally do not subscribe to him being a faceless man or anything other than what he was.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2016 at 4:21 PM, PrinceIanMartell said:

It's hard for me to accept that people are merely who they say they are, especially in Arya's POV.

Agree 100%. Anyone in Arya's POV cannot be trusted to be who they say they are. The aspects of Syrio's character is too emphasized i na short time to be meaningles.

Archived