Cycling 2019 - the British are coming.

BigFatCoward

really pissed off that nibs won, for some reason he just rubs me up the wrong way. SK not winning was a tragedy. now really looking forward to froome and contador testing each other out at the dauphine. 

I have nothing against Nibali myself but he was so clearly not the best man for a large part of the Giro that his win doesn't seem right.

Having said that, he was better than Chaves over all, and Valverde, so that's fair, but Kruiswijk just killed it, massacred people in that mountain time trial and never lost any time uphill. It was a dominant display and the Italian media ignored him for as long as they could. What a shame.

• 5 weeks later...

So 3 massive favourites,

froome who has not looked amazing all season like he normally does, but kicked the shit out of the dauphine.

contador, who has been consistent, but not delivered a killer performance.  

quintana, who has built up slowly like always but is moving into his prime years.  

there is also porte, aru, pinot who have also looked good but are probably a level below the big 3.  nibali and valverde who just did the giro and probably aren't going to ride for GC and landa, who if froome crashes out could carry the flag for sky.  

the 3 teams of moviestar, sky and astana for quintana, froome and aru are strong as fuck.  contadors tinkoff squad is a load of dogshit. 

the parcours is interesting and probably favours quintana, i can't f'ing wait. 

Nothing to add to BFC's round uo of the favorites, just wanted to say I am very excited for this to begin!

I expect the French to be very good this year. Pinot and Bardet are the standouts, but consistent performances or stage wins from Rolland or Barguil would not surprise me in the least.

Kittel, Sagan, Cavendish, Greipel, Kristoff and maybe young Dutch debutant Groenewegen for the sprints.

Good statement from Cavendish. The last time he was matched up with Kittel on Le Tour, it looked like Kittel had his number and Cavendish was on the decline.

But in a straight fight he wins against Kittel and Greipel, so he clearly still has some gas left in the tank.

Contador seems to have come away with a fair number of bruises from what was a very hard fall.

Fortunately nothing is broken and he will be able to continue, but he will be vuilnerable for now. He says he hoped to be in good shape when the mountains come in 1,5 week.

i feel desperately sorry for richie porte, he is as unlucky as fuck.  contador just needs to get out of this week without losing any more time, friday could cause him problems though.  

cav is a beast.

Stage wins a bit less impressive though in the case of a sprinter. 

Not to diminish his class, but there are simply more chances to win than for a Merckx/Hinault type, who you'd compare to the Quintana/Froome/Contadors of today. 

Nobody is saying Cavendish is comparable to those two in cycling history, but it would still be an amazing achievement, and cement him as the greatest sprinter of all time.

A few days ago I didn't think he would ever catch Merckx, but now it looks possible again. There's still a ton of competition for sprint wins though, and he's not dominant like he used to be. I think he needs a couple more this year while he's in good form to have a chance.

I didn't see where Kittel was in that last stage but he seems not to have been in the running. The bunch sprints look to be a straight fight between Greipel and Cavendish. The second tier of sprinters (Degenkolb, Kristoff etc) just don't seem able to cut in a stage win.

Kittel finished 7th. It seems like he is not really in good shape which is remarkable, as he was so good in the Giro recently.

Still, I am not writing him off just yet, he could just be excellent and win the stage.

Archived