TTTNE CDLXIV - You can't take the sky from me

ab aeterno

21 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Holy fuck, that was one powerful season.

Helena, Lady O, how are we going to wait another year after this?

I have to say this was my least favorite season. For many reasons. But it seems most people either love or hate it. It did have some great moments. 

Congrats Rhae!! :cheers: 

20 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

I have to say this was my least favorite season. For many reasons. But it seems most people either love or hate it. It did have some great moments. 

Congrats Rhae!! :cheers: 

Really? I think it's my favorite. Could you list some of those reasons?

Btw, your avatar reminds me, in two weeks I'll finally get to read Saga Vol. 6 :drool: 

45 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Thanks Eira.

Shame about the Brexit, but I admit I'm not really aware of the consequences this will have.

Well the £ has just suffered the worst one day deprecation of any currency in history and is quite likely to trigger another world recession worse than the financial crisis of 2008. Just take a look at the financial markets, Wall Street included, to see what's going on.

A lot of the people who voted Leave will probably just think "yeah take that bankers, time you suffered too" not realising the full implications this has on businesses, jobs, the cost of things, investments, everyone and everything. Perhaps they believe it could not be any worse than it was before, but if they thought austerity was bad I don't think they've seen anything yet.

The saddest thing is seeing the newspapers that were pro-Brexit celebrating like they won something special. Well that £350m a week they were hoping to stop giving the EU and spend elsewhere, we just lost 6 years worth of that money in about 6 hours....

2 minutes ago, theAlbanianGoat said:

Well the £ has just suffered the worst one day deprecation of any currency in history and is quite likely to trigger another world recession worse than the financial crisis of 2008. Just take a look at the financial markets, Wall Street included, to see what's going on.

A lot of the people who voted Leave will probably just think "yeah take that bankers, time you suffered too" not realising the full implications this has on businesses, jobs, the cost of things, investments, everyone and everything. Perhaps they believe it could not be any worse than it was before, but if they thought austerity was bad I don't think they've seen anything yet.

The saddest thing is seeing the newspapers that were pro-Brexit celebrating like they won something special. Well that £350m a week they were hoping to stop giving the EU and spend elsewhere, we just lost 6 years worth of that money in about 6 hours....

Ouch, that really is bad. Thanks for explaining.

22 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Really? I think it's my favorite. Could you list some of those reasons?

Btw, your avatar reminds me, in two weeks I'll finally get to read Saga Vol. 6 :drool: 

I felt the writing was rushed and a lot of things didn't make sense. It really bothered me that they were representing veterans as completely out of control sadists that like to torture women. Even the female was trying to be "one of the guys" and going along with crazy stuff. That weird pensatucky relationship/guilt dynamic with her rapist was just awful. Sophia's arc was odd - she suffered all this abuse but then she was back and not much else was heard about it. P's death seemed unnecessary and disconnected. But since she's writing for the show maybe she wanted off? 

I might watch it again later on but it just didn't sit right with me. And I missed the comedy that was present in he other seasons.

I'm going to pick up volume 6 and devour it :drool:

2 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Hide contents

I felt the writing was rushed and a lot of things didn't make sense. It really bothered me that they were representing veterans as completely out of control sadists that like to torture women. Even the female was trying to be "one of the guys" and going along with crazy stuff. That weird pensatucky relationship/guilt dynamic with her rapist was just awful. Sophia's arc was odd - she suffered all this abuse but then she was back and not much else was heard about it. P's death seemed unnecessary and disconnected. But since she's writing for the show maybe she wanted off? 

I might watch it again later on but it just didn't sit right with me. And I missed the comedy that was present in he other seasons.

Spoiler

I can see where you're coming from but I experienced these things differently. For me, the way guards are portrayed only has to do with them, not veterans in general. Bennett was a veteran too and his portrayal was positive overall.
I'm not sure what else we could hear about Sophia? Crystal and Ingalls accomplished their goal of getting her out of max, and she's back now but still reeling from her time there. I expect they'll pick up on that next season. I agree that wasn't the show's funniest season, but it had other things going for it. As for Pennsatucky, that was an odd plotline and an odd direction to take her, but it didn't seem downright awful to me. Boo was there to represent the opinion of the majority about this subject, and it felt in-character for Penn, so it wasn't that problematic for me.

The only thing where I can't see where you're coming from is Poussey. Her death (and the other events of the last two episodes) were the culmination of the entire season, and felt central to the story to me. Looking back it feels like a planned and logical event, and it was treated with the weight it deserved, and will no doubt inform parts of season five. So I'm not sure why it felt disconnected to you - it's both an example of an abuse of power, which was one of this season's biggest themes, and is a crucial part of Bayley's story, fulfilling Caputo's prediction that Litchfield would ruin him. It also served to unite the various groups in the prison against the guards. Seems very necessary to me :dunno: 

Don't know why the spoiler tags are being weird for you, it works for me.

8 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Hide contents

Kind of agree with you

Especially wrt to the Guards, and also MCC and its mustache twirling cackling villain status. I can't genuinely believe people would be like that. Its too OTT for my taste. I was definitely disappointed by McCullogh, because it seemed they were going to at least have her be a pretty good person (when she is talking with Ramos) but then nope, she's just like everybody else. Although I guess the answer to that is: Zimbardo.

I was also disappointed not seeing more of Sophia's story after the transphobic attack last season. Should have had more focus/screen time IMO. 

However, unlike you I thought the Tucky/Donuts thing was well done and left me creeped out while not feeling Donuts was a total monster like the other guards (though, he is still awful of course). I also felt Poussey's death was well handled, and there were a few reasons it had to be her. First, she is one of the most likeable inmates. Second, she has no real marks against her name to be exploited by MCC. Third, it adds to the tragedy that she was killed protecting Suzanne. Oh, and Taystee's crying in episode 12 :bawl: 

Some stuff I liked that I thought you might too;

Nikki was back! :D 

Morello and Vinnie origami get in the visitation room

Red was on top form this season. 

So my graduation gift for myself is finally ordering a couple GoT funko figurines. Because I'm twelve years old at heart :o and this is a good excuse to justify paying 30 quid for something as useless and unnecessary as a GoT figurine. 

4 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

So my graduation gift for myself is finally ordering a couple GoT funko figurines. Because I'm twelve years old at heart :o and this is a good excuse to justify paying 30 quid for something as useless and unnecessary as a GoT figurine. 

Go for it. I've already spent €150 in the name of celebrating my graduation, we deserve it.

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Kind of agree with you

Hide contents

Especially wrt to the Guards, and also MCC and its mustache twirling cackling villain status. I can't genuinely believe people would be like that. Its too OTT for my taste. I was definitely disappointed by McCullogh, because it seemed they were going to at least have her be a pretty good person (when she is talking with Ramos) but then nope, she's just like everybody else. Although I guess the answer to that is: Zimbardo.

I was also disappointed not seeing more of Sophia's story after the transphobic attack last season. Should have had more focus/screen time IMO. 

However, unlike you I thought the Tucky/Donuts thing was well done and left me creeped out while not feeling Donuts was a total monster like the other guards (though, he is still awful of course). I also felt Poussey's death was well handled, and there were a few reasons it had to be her. First, she is one of the most likeable inmates. Second, she has no real marks against her name to be exploited by MCC. Third, it adds to the tragedy that she was killed protecting Suzanne. Oh, and Taystee's crying in episode 12 :bawl: 

Some stuff I liked that I thought you might too;

Nikki was back! :D 

Morello and Vinnie origami get in the visitation room

Red was on top form this season. 

So I've had to work with and against corporate lawyers and they are every bit as ridiculously villainous as the show suggests. Maybe not so cartoonish, but the tactics are spot on. 

I hope you never have to experience that kind of "lawyering" in your career. I have heard medical malpractice is the worst :( 

The scene with Suzanne and that little boy absolutely had me on edge, mouth agape thinking OMG Nooooooooo don't take him to your apartment!!! Why on earth her family never had her committed or medicated is a bit unnerving. I wasn't expecting the outcome that played out though. That was rough.  

So I am taking stinker to Harry Potter night at the Last bookstore in LA. Never been before. I hope it's fun. 

23 hours ago, First of My Name said:
  Hide contents

I can see where you're coming from but I experienced these things differently. For me, the way guards are portrayed only has to do with them, not veterans in general. Bennett was a veteran too and his portrayal was positive overall.
I'm not sure what else we could hear about Sophia? Crystal and Ingalls accomplished their goal of getting her out of max, and she's back now but still reeling from her time there. I expect they'll pick up on that next season. I agree that wasn't the show's funniest season, but it had other things going for it. As for Pennsatucky, that was an odd plotline and an odd direction to take her, but it didn't seem downright awful to me. Boo was there to represent the opinion of the majority about this subject, and it felt in-character for Penn, so it wasn't that problematic for me.

The only thing where I can't see where you're coming from is Poussey. Her death (and the other events of the last two episodes) were the culmination of the entire season, and felt central to the story to me. Looking back it feels like a planned and logical event, and it was treated with the weight it deserved, and will no doubt inform parts of season five. So I'm not sure why it felt disconnected to you - it's both an example of an abuse of power, which was one of this season's biggest themes, and is a crucial part of Bayley's story, fulfilling Caputo's prediction that Litchfield would ruin him. It also served to unite the various groups in the prison against the guards. Seems very necessary to me :dunno: 

Don't know why the spoiler tags are being weird for you, it works for me.

Ok trying the tags again ...

in regard to P - it felt disconnected to her character, for me, that she didn't go out fighting. She was feisty and I expected more than her laying on the ground suffocating. I felt like it had more to do with the guards character than hers

:dunno: I did LOVE her flashbacks though. 

With Tucky I just didn't find it believable. He didn't just rape her he left her bruised and battered. Yah Boo is there to remind us he's a rapist but the way that last scene was set up it felt like the audience was supposed to feel compassion for the guy because she does? I dunno. I was hoping she would shiv him :lol: 

i don't remember if I mentioned this already but the guy that Alex killed - did they discover who it was? It felt dropped like a hot potato to me. 

Anyway, the cliffhanger had me irked too - Daya has a newborn to get out for and she's holding a gun to guards? Would have been better if it was Watson IMO. 

Dont get me wrong, I liked the season overall, I just wasn't as into it as the prior seasons I guess.

7 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

Ok trying the tags again ...

Hide contents

in regard to P - it felt disconnected to her character, for me, that she didn't go out fighting. She was feisty and I expected more than her laying on the ground suffocating. I felt like it had more to do with the guards character than hers

:dunno: I did LOVE her flashbacks though. 

With Tucky I just didn't find it believable. He didn't just rape her he left her bruised and battered. Yah Boo is there to remind us he's a rapist but the way that last scene was set up it felt like the audience was supposed to feel compassion for the guy because she does? I dunno. I was hoping she would shiv him :lol: 

i don't remember if I mentioned this already but the guy that Alex killed - did they discover who it was? It felt dropped like a hot potato to me. 

Anyway, the cliffhanger had me irked too - Daya has a newborn to get out for and she's holding a gun to guards? Would have been better if it was Watson IMO. 

Dont get me wrong, I liked the season overall, I just wasn't as into it as the prior seasons I guess.

Spoiler

Fair point, but that didn't bother me. Not every death can be cinematic. Her going out this way is more in keeping with the show's tone and message.

They didn't discover it, hopefully it's brought up next season because I agree that it'd be weird if they never tried to find out.

We discussed the choice of Daya as the gun-holder extensively in the OITNB thread, I think it's mostly to finish up her arc of Maria's bad influence on her.

Archived