[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

22 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I think D&D are proving that without source material they can't write worth a shit.  

haha no they can't.

TOJ was the biggest FU to readers, why cant they just do one scene how it is the books. It is so superbly written in the book i was so disappointed with the drivel they gave us.. "WHERES MY SISTER!?"

I feel as though they used this scene to convey Ned's 'deceit', showing us that if the story bran has heard a 1000x is not the truth then perhaps there are other stories Ned has also lied about.. 

I would have much preferred to see this scene play up the mysteriousness of WHY the KG was at the tower, and not at all the other locations Ned states in the book :angry:

Is anyone else slightly worried that this is so bad perhaps it's actually what George has planned? It honestly seems like d and d have given up on logical thinking or even plausible come to think of it. Actually I'm tempted to say they've stopped thinking altogether 

I'd be hoping for a reboot at some stage down the line where they do characters justice but the thing is the show continues to be popular with the public at large and so many likely think this is as good as it gets

Just re-watched the episode again hoping I could find some redeeming moments. 

Nope. Instead I found myself rooting for Arthur Dayne to slice Baby Ned from groin to grin and end this whole mess. :angry: 

---- Saint Tryrion ---- How is seven hells is some foreign, western dwarf and his dickless companion managing to rule and keep the peace in a city where no one knows who they are?? Barristan could barely do it and he was Queens Guard. The people of Mereen simply accept this nobody as their ruler? Like others have mentioned before, all of the Mereen scenes were completely pointless, moved the plot nowhere, and were entirely unfunny. Varys could have simply given Tyrion a report of what he discovered, instead we get a 5 minute interregation scene that wasn't even well written? I assume D&D expanded that scene because the actress who plays random-whore-chick had nice tits. 

----Larry ---- What is Jamie doing? What is his purpose? Why is he in King's Landing? Does he have a storyline? Jamie has been reduced to nothing more than Carol's handbag. 

---- Davos ---- "Hey Red Woman (who I abhor), mind coming over here for a minute and resurrecting this guy I just met with some black magic (which I also abhor)? Yeah, don't worry about finding and resurrecting my one true king Stannis, I'm over that now. Let's re-animate this guy!"

Best quotes from reading through this thread today:

"So... Jon made Edd the new LC? No more pesky democratic voting? Whatevs."

"So Varys' empire was built on a pile of chocolate cookies?"

"I literally just watched a scene in a tv show where a main character said that he had nothing to say, then asked the other characters if they had topics in mind."

Also, I was watching next week's preview on YouTube when it automatically loaded the next video, the behind the scenes talking one. Actually thought it could be interesting for a minute until I heard the part about Ned and how this shatters the perfect unsullied image of him we have. I mean what? How? I stopped watching after that 

32 minutes ago, II_CHIEF said:

I feel as though they used this scene to convey Ned's 'deceit', showing us that if the story bran has heard a 1000x is not the truth then perhaps there are other stories Ned has also lied about.. 

See for me this kinda cheapens the secret of what was in the tower.

I get it, having him lie about the victory over Arthur Dayne kinda put thats well, what else did Noble Ned lie about? But, having him lie, this one time, means far more.

13 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

----Larry ---- What is Jamie doing? What is his purpose? Why is he in King's Landing? Does he have a storyline? Jamie has been reduced to nothing more than Carol's handbag. 

This is bothering the fuck outta me and Jaime is not even my favorite character. I'm just scratching my head everytime he shows up. He even sits on the small council now.
He doesn't have a storyline anymore. He's just...there, following Cersei around.
He is Lord Commander and doesn't question how and why that frankstein joined their ranks? Where are the other Kingsguard? Did they receive the news that Meryn Trant was brutally murdered?

Why are people complaining that Ned told Bran he killed Sor Arthur Dayne? Bran only said "I've heard this story a thousand times", He didn't say who he heard from. The story is just like "Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna" story he heard from people.

3 hours ago, Darren Allen said:

The Mereen scenes were a waste of time. So the big mystery of the Sons of the Harpy is they are backed by slavers from other cities? Really? That's the best they could come up with? I would've rather had the prostitute Varys pulled in be the real mastermind.

I hated this too.  They hinted in the previously on GOT that we would find out who the Harpy is, and then they wasted 10 minutes of screen time just to tell us this.  This leads me to believe that D&D either already killed off the character who is secretly behind the Sons of the Harpy, or more likely, that the Harpy is a book character that does not exist in the show.  Way to plan ahead D&D.  This of course begs the question of why the show even makes it an issue in the first place.

Is it just me, or did young Ned come across like a d-bag.  I haven't re-watched the episode so I don't recall the exact dialogue, but Ned's tone seemed to be boastful about winning the war and personally confrontational towards Dayne in this scene.  It made it appear as though Ned was there because of a personal grudge or to finish the war, and that trying to find his sister was secondary.  Then again, its been years since I read the scene in the book. 

Well, there were 5 KG with Tommy at the sept, so those 5 + Jaime and ZombieMT make 7. I guess we're just supposed to assume that they learned about meryn trant, had a well thought out offscreen discussion, and decided that a huge dead dude was the best choice for trant's replacement. 

50 minutes ago, Nami said:

This is bothering the fuck outta me and Jaime is not even my favorite character. I'm just scratching my head everytime he shows up. He even sits on the small council now.
He doesn't have a storyline anymore. He's just...there, following Cersei around.
He is Lord Commander and doesn't question how and why that frankstein joined their ranks? Where are the other Kingsguard? Did they receive the news that Meryn Trant was brutally murdered?

They established in season three when Ser Barristan was talking to Jorah that the LC of the Kingsguard should actually be doing that but Ser Barristan chose not to.  Tywin also indicated in his speech to Tommen in Season 4 that the king would benefit from attending those meetings.  I don't think this development in Jaime is outrageous.  Reading this thread I'm seriously wondering why we don't have a "Praise without repercussion" thread since that's more likely to be scrutinized at this point. 

30 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

I hated this too.  They hinted in the previously on GOT that we would find out who the Harpy is, and then they wasted 10 minutes of screen time just to tell us this.  This leads me to believe that D&D either already killed off the character who is secretly behind the Sons of the Harpy, or more likely, that the Harpy is a book character that does not exist in the show.  Way to plan ahead D&D.  This of course begs the question of why the show even makes it an issue in the first place.

Is it just me, or did young Ned come across like a d-bag.  I haven't re-watched the episode so I don't recall the exact dialogue, but Ned's tone seemed to be boastful about winning the war and personally confrontational towards Dayne in this scene.  It made it appear as though Ned was there because of a personal grudge or to finish the war, and that trying to find his sister was secondary.  Then again, its been years since I read the scene in the book. 

they have to introduce a new character to be the harpy, the only characters in Mereen are Tyrion, Varys, Greyworm and Misseindie, and the red priest last week.  They killed everyone else off

41 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

Yes! I thought the same thing. When they showed the preview after Episode 6.02, the "now it ends" comment and its delivery were so haughty, arrogant, and un-Eddard, that I assumed that must be Dayne. That is nothing like the Eddart portrayed in Season 1.... or even the Eddard in the books. 

In addition, the guy looked nothing like Eddard. Faces and voices change, but not to that extent. Like someone else mentioned, it would've been much better if they brought back Sean Bean and CGIed his face to make him younger.

13 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

they have to introduce a new character to be the harpy, the only characters in Mereen are Tyrion, Varys, Greyworm and Misseindie, and the red priest last week.  They killed everyone else off

Well, it could also be Daario. That would set up some dramatic irony where the viewers know that Daario is a traitor while he's on this recovery mission, but Jorah and Dany do not. 

The Sons of the Harpy has been such a big storyline in Mereen, so they have no excuse for not anticipating a conclusion. So, if it has to be someone in Mereen, it's D&D's own damn fault for not giving us that other option. Why not leave Hizdahr Loqar alive so there's that option (although, I would agree, that would be a bit too obvious)?

3 minutes ago, Darren Allen said:

Yes! I thought the same thing. When they showed the preview after Episode 6.02, the "now it ends" comment and its delivery were so haughty, arrogant, and un-Eddard, that I assumed that must be Dayne. That is nothing like the Eddart portrayed in Season 1.... or even the Eddard in the books. 

In addition, the guy looked nothing like Eddard. Faces and voices change, but not to that extent. Like someone else mentioned, it would've been much better if they brought back Sean Bean and CGIed his face to make him younger.

I agree about young Ned's appearance and voice.  He looked like NPH with long hair.  I could have forgiven this if the characterization of both old Ned and young Ned were consistent (not to mention book Ned), but it just came across all wrong.  When D&D said that the scene ends the myth of noble Ned (paraphrasing), I think they meant more than just Reed stabbing Dayne in the back (which seems to be all that people are talking about).  I think they were referring to Ned's personality in this scene as well.  Of course D&D invented this new personality of young Ned, so... 

I generally enjoy the show with its bad and good parts. I recently rewatched the first 2 seasons and it's now clear to me it has been a serious drop in quality. They have a big budget, good actors, nice costumes and I perfectly understand trimming down the story. What I do not understand is why they change characters. Tyrion is a grey character and the white washed version of him just sickens me. As of late it just seems like they are throwing Tyrion down everyone's throats just because he is a fan-favorite. His scenes are pointless,boring. His lines are bad. To be frank the lines generally suck when they are not based on the source material. It doesn't have to be a word for word adaptation...but they should put more efforts in their scripts and use the budget and the actors for meaningful scenes.

The scene in KL was like seeing a high school cool gang reject another gang. Enough of that. I want to see crazy Cersei and Jaimie leaving her. Seeing them walking their pet undead Gregor around the castle is pointless when we know that we only have a handful of episodes left until the end. Instead of wasting time on this crap they could give more screen time to the important stuff.

At the moment I just feel like we will get tons of filler and only a few important scenes. The Tower of Joy scene was rushed. The fight was too short. But hey, at least we get Tyrion proposing a drinking game. I am going to say it now: I think I'd like it more if Tyrion was with Penny. I think it would have been more interesting than seeing him cracking cock jokes and drink.

As I've said I understand the need to cut things and change others, but in the long run it's just sad. This show could have been more faithful and watchable even after generations. Now, I only hope that as some point someone else will buy the rights to the series and make a reboot. It could even be an animated series.

I can look past a lot of things (eye colors of certain characters, hair colors, certain people not lacking an eye or not wearing an eye-patch etc), but what I can't understand is why they do not think when they make changes and why they leave so many plotholes.

Regarding all of the comments about young Ned (too many to quote), he was going to rescue his sister, who had supposedly been kidnapped and raped. I imagine he needed to at least act like a badass in that moment. As for him being a bad guy all along...NO. HE didn't stab Dayne in the back, nor did he tell Reed to do it. They're in the middle of a war. Why do gentlemen's rules apply? This is a universe where Lysa poisoned her husband to be with Littlefinger, who made out with Lysa's niece, before admitting that he never loved Lysa, just before he threw her to her death. Really, anything goes, so how does this make Ned a bad guy?

So he told a different story...I think we all know that the whole story was a lie, or at least a very corrupted version of the truth. My guess is that the version told in the North was to protect not only Jon, but Howland Reed as well. Reed has been notoriously reclusive since the ToJ. This also lends plausibility to the theory of

Spoiler

R+L=Jon AND Meera

or something to that effect.

Reading Ned's POV proves that he had a kind heart and no taste for the game. Compare that to the POV of someone truly corrupt, like Cersei. I think there's more to the story. (And I sincerely hope there is.)

4 hours ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Well-groomed tree-man and Bran only exist to deliver exposition at this point. I'm wondering if when the 1000 year-old, two-eyed, non-Targ decides to stop trolling Bran with "to be continued..." cliff-hangers, he'll just switch to MST3K style commentary.

Now that would be good. :lol: 

Archived