[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

1 minute ago, Ingelheim said:

No. He killed 4 of them.

Did you watch the scene?

YES, obviously I watched the scene, why ask that question. Read what I already said, this was before he had killed anyone. Just after Ned had killed the first guy and was about to attack Arthur again.

50 minutes ago, majgat said:

I also do not understand D&D whining about not have sufficient time. 10 episodes are less than they would hope for. Well....yeah when you put in useless drivel that gets the plot nowhere (Tyrion, GW and Missandei and whole KL latest). Duh.

D&D have been the ones pushing for less time, HBO gave every indication they would make as many episodes as needed.

http://tvline.com/2016/04/15/game-of-thrones-final-seasons-7-8-shortened-fewer-episodes/

I watched it again and that does add up. Dayne kills the first of Ned's men about two seconds into the fight with his right and wounds another opponent just before Whent/Hightower dies with his other sword.

10 minutes ago, Sept Sev said:

I watched it again and that does add up. Dayne kills the first of Ned's men about two seconds into the fight with his right and wounds another opponent just before Whent/Hightower dies with his other sword.

Dayne doesn't kill that guy Whent does, he only has one sword (the guy who kills the first Stark), so it wasn't Dayne, and his face is the same as the guy who Ned kills first, and Reed was just wounded. No reason for blood on the sword like that.

11 minutes ago, Conchobar said:

YES, obviously I watched the scene, why ask that question. Read what I already said, this was before he had killed anyone. Just after Ned had killed the first guy and was about to attack Arthur again.

It looks to me that Dayne kills one with his right-hand sword, and when he's about to face the others, after Ned's killed random other guy, both of Dayne's swords are bloodied already. Maybe he did hurt someone else with his left-hand sword, I didn't see it. But to me that's the least of the problems with this scene. For instance, Dayne's Dawn and Dusk (?) look like they've been dipped in a bucket of red paint, instead of looking proper bloodied from a fight. And yet, even that is not one of my main issues with the scene. 

The worst, as usual with GoT, is the dialogue. It's bad, and a lot of things don't make sense. The poignancy was completely stripped in favour of badassery, YAWN. And Constipated Young Ned is hands down one of the worst things I've ever seen. 

37 minutes ago, Johnston said:

Don't think so.

To me it was no more than 'Ryker you have the Bridge' 

Probably not like that, a freaking gangbang with littlefinger, the details will unravel, but here is a guess? The wall should fall it's made out of ice and the Wildlings are south anyway? The watch has ended, as evil draws near? So its Bastard versus Bastard except one is a legend, easily concluded in halting some menace. Where to stand ground, when winter falls? In other assumptions the magic words Dornish had the small council fleeing, showing the Tyrells worries if only they get their kids first. Cersei needs another trial, somehow the first wasn't enough, give them an inch they take a mile, who does it face, was Loras dead? More pigeons, only Varys knows about their candy preference otherwise they aren't dependable, but that game was always its unrest for a later savior, which is why he switched sides, not because they are triple agents. She needs to escape the Dothraki, but she has manipulated them before, this time she has dragons. She also needs ships, so the Ironborn are back with tales of Sothoryos. As that continent is reading for war. Who knows about Littlefinger's game when it was chaos, but with players soon changing who will he back causing him to maneuver, making which land available, or is he simply waiting until his end? Banks are happy with trade flowing but when the world is at war there is no trade, who is their contract.

As seasons go... I absolutely loved S1. S2 was excellent with a few minor issues. S3 was very good though it had more problems creeping in. S4 was a mixed bag, with probably more bad than good though it still had some strong points. There was very little to like about S5, and there has been absolutely nothing good about S6 so far. By S7 I think we may have reached Spartacus B&S levels of shit.

4 minutes ago, dooog said:

As seasons go... I absolutely loved S1. S2 was excellent with a few minor issues. S3 was very good though it had more problems creeping in. S4 was a mixed bag, with probably more bad than good though it still had some strong points. There was very little to like about S5, and there has been absolutely nothing good about S6 so far. By S7 I think we may have reached Spartacus B&S levels of shit.

don't forget that all the episodes of S6 are 45 minutes now, shorter episodes with more fillers

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Same here, didn't like s 2 and 3, hated s 4 & 5. And by the looks of it, s 6 will top them all. :ack:

And definitely, I can't talk about the show with the friends I have that still watch it b/c they love it. Many have given up entirely after s 5, but there are still 2 or 3 who watch it. One told me to never bring up the inconsistencies and plot holes again b/c I was spoiling her enjoyment of the show. My reply was, "why on earth would you still want to enjoy it since you acknowledge nothing makes sense?" We agreed never to talk about GoT again. :bang:

this is funny.  I went on a long mountain hike and used to opportunity to educate my friends with the history of the Targ dynasty.  they stopped me when i got to Aegon IV as it was getting 'too complicated'.  I pointed out that the depth of the universe is what makes it worthwhile.  They said they liked the 'simple nature' of the show.  that's where i stopped trying to educate the unsullied.

On topic, i agree with the consensus of most of this forum, it is a bit tragic what they have done to certain characters (Martells, Tyrion, 3eC, Loras etc) but personally i wouldnt watch a show i hated even if it was to open myself up to the spoilers.

All this can be blamed on GRRM and his inability to finish the dam series after 20 years

6 hours ago, teemo said:

TV shows still airing that I think are 100x better than Game of Thrones (and some of these shows aren't even that great at all):

Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Leftovers, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, The Knick, Wentworth, Orphan Black, Bloodline, Daredevil, The Americans, Billions, The Walking Dead, Happy Valley, Bosch, Broadchurch, The Fall, Mozart in the Jungle, Jessica Jones, Penny Dreadful, Rectify, Ray Donovan, Bates Motel, Silicon Valley, The Affair, Veep, Transparent, Wolf Hall.

Some shows I occasionally see my mom and grandma watching that I think are better: Grey's Anatomy, Empire, Lucifer, Quantico, Days of Our Lives, The Blacklist, The Big Bang Theory, American Idol, General Hospital.

I recommend Spartacus; getting over the gratutious sex in the beginning, this has an amazing writing. Just fantastic from beginning to end. Consistent and touching. The ending will leave you devastated.
It ended in 2013, but this show is so amazing and underrated because of GOT it quite sad how many are missing on it.

17 hours ago, Low Sparrow said:

From casting that emo loser to play him to implying that Ed would either boast or let a story be told of how he bested Dayne. The same Ed Stark character who would rather be beheaded than live out a lie. The same Ed who could have consolidated power by not honoring the rules of succession. The same Ed who could have crushed his enemies by grabbing one child in the middle of the night. Remember that Ed?

That Ed (not the one living in the bizarro-universe where Cersei does no wrong) would neither have boasted of besting Dane "1000" times, not let this falsehood be spoken "1000" times.

17 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

D&D intended the way Howland killed Dayne to be dishonourable, regardless of the incompetency with which they did it. They also made him into an arrogant prat in the scene for no purpose, and to press that point even further made him later boast about killing Dayne - something he would never do because: 1) he is not that sort of person and 2) he would want to make the incidents at the ToJ as low key as possible. The second point one is worse, because its implications are not confined to Ned's character but damages the plot as a whole. Effectively they prioritised a criticism of Ned over credibility.

Who's to say that it was Ned that boasted about killing Dayne? Bran stated that "I've heard this story a thousand times," not "my father has told me this story a thousand times." It seems natural that his older brothers, Theon, or really anyone would gushingly tell the story to him like they were their themselves. I mean, even if Ned didn't blab about the ToJ to anyone, it would still naturally get out, and get out pretty hard. Arthur Dayne did die, after all, that alone would lead to some serious gossip.

13 hours ago, Nami said:

1 hour ago, dooog said:

I basically agree w/this, although I may have liked 4, thought it was more uneven, the 'good' was very good, better than 3.  I loved 1 & 2, though you began to see some issues, 3 was still good but had many more issues, 4 was quite choppy, with some great stuff and some really silly stuff, 5 was bad, 6 so far, 6 is not good, but may be a tiny bit less bad so far than 5.  

My gripes: 

1 I wanted Dawn glowing with a pale light. Yes they gave us a showy duel weld badass but damn it I wanted Dawn the greatsword. I have no problem with Howland Reed backstabbing  Dayne. This is war and these assholes have Neds sister. Ned never claimed he beat The Sword of the Morning one on one.

2 Aryas training. No sense of time how long that went on. 6 months or 6 days or even 6 mins. Did her timeline jump ahead of everybody else for her staff/ poison training?

3 Rickon and his poor Shaggydog... enough said nothing but disgust for this. I hate they twisted the Umbers one of the most loyal in the books into a fucking savage dishonorable assholes.

4 So Jon gets a free pass of get off the wall for free card because his watch is ended. I can see Jon leaving the Watch if thats the only way he can save it but this whole I died so now I can walk away shit is lame writing.

5 I hate how the writers have turned the most loved and beautiful parts of the books into something so lame and stupid and makes no sense

On 5/9/2016 at 10:44 PM, Sir Loin Steak said:

you're going to look superlame when you have turn around to get a cloak, a horse, some provisions and GHOST BECAUSE WHO EVEN REMEMBERS THEIR DIREWOLVES?

This! ^

Of all the terrible things in this episode, this probably bothered me the most.

24 minutes ago, The Fiddler said:

Who's to say that it was Ned that boasted about killing Dayne? Bran stated that "I've heard this story a thousand times," not "my father has told me this story a thousand times." It seems natural that his older brothers, Theon, or really anyone would gushingly tell the story to him like they were their themselves. I mean, even if Ned didn't blab about the ToJ to anyone, it would still naturally get out, and get out pretty hard. Arthur Dayne did die, after all, that alone would lead to some serious gossip.

At best there would be speculation given that the only survivors from the ToJ were Ned himself, the absent Howland and the too young to remember Jon. Ned would have stopped any rumours that led to further thought on the events around Jon's birth too, as shown in the books by his quashing of the Ashara rumour even though it helped him and Jojen and Meera's surprise that Bran did not know anything about the Tourney at Harrenhall.

11 minutes ago, Conchobar said:

He isn't killing anyone with his right in the first image, it was not Dayne who killed the first Stark

He certainly seriously wounds him, enough to get a lot of blood on his sword.

Archived