[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

31 minutes ago, GraveWorries said:

Millions of your fellows will vote for Trump of Clinton.   Quantity is no guarantee of quality and never has been.

Hardhome must have been the single most expensive and totally pointless episode of any TV show in history.

A massive battle fought between the NW and a horde of Free folk against thousands of Wights and Others. this is witnessed by hundreds of sailors on the fleet brought to evacuate the trapped Wildlings.

And yet not a single person ever refers to what happened. Nobody changes their strategy in the aftermath. Nobody uses it to prove that the NW needs the Wildlings to defend the World of Men.  It's as if it never happened.

What was the point of it?

Exactly.  This should have underscored the importance of allowing the Wildlings through the Wall so their numbers didn't increase the wight army.  With this episode, they undermined the whole rationale of Jon Snow's assassination.  But no, they handwaved it away, as they do all logic.

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I liked Carol right away. Carol Brady. She's just a good mom.

It's hard for me to get worked up about that character, named or nicknamed, she's so........bloodless and boring, ya know?  Cersei was (see, I say was, as I haven't seen her in a loooooooooong time) many things, none of which included being a cold, boring, but good.......mom.  :wacko:

36 minutes ago, GraveWorries said:

Millions of your fellows will vote for Trump of Clinton.   Quantity is no guarantee of quality and never has been.

Hardhome must have been the single most expensive and totally pointless episode of any TV show in history.

A massive battle fought between the NW and a horde of Free folk against thousands of Wights and Others. this is witnessed by hundreds of sailors on the fleet brought to evacuate the trapped Wildlings.

And yet not a single person ever refers to what happened. Nobody changes their strategy in the aftermath. Nobody uses it to prove that the NW needs the Wildlings to defend the World of Men.  It's as if it never happened.

To make viewers forget about the absolute horrible previous 7 episodes, and not care that the following two would be even worse?

39 minutes ago, GraveWorries said:

Aye.

3 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It's hard for me to get worked up about that character, named or nicknamed, she's so........bloodless and boring, ya know?  Cersei was (see, I say was, as I haven't seen her in a loooooooooong time) many things, none of which included being a cold, boring, but good.......mom.  :wacko:

I meant I thought the nickname fit. Who cares about the character. There are maybe 3 characters I care about in the whole thing anymore. And I have to really try to pretend they are the book character even then.

Carol is dull and as dirt.

41 minutes ago, GraveWorries said:

7 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Exactly.  This should have underscored the importance of allowing the Wildlings through the Wall so their numbers didn't increase the wight army.  With this episode, they undermined the whole rationale of Jon Snow's assassination.  But no, they handwaved it away, as they do all logic.

Completely agreed!  I've been asking myself these questions as well...and, unfortunately, there are no good answers.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

I meant I thought the nickname fit. Who cares about the character. There are maybe 3 characters I care about in the whole thing anymore. And I have to really try to pretend they are the book character even then.

Carol is dull and as dirt.

LOL  True  

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

But why not show them arriving at Oldtown?  We learned nothing from the boat scene except Sam vomits and Gilly is getting subtle, and the show finally aged up her 4 year old to a slightly older baby.  It was a complete waste of time.

This season is mostly filler or stuff we have already guessed, then they'll write some awesome CGI battle scenes with the Others, then tack an ending on the whole thing, and be done with it.

8 hours ago, GraveWorries said:

Well, that episode won Got a couple awards for the directors, special effects(the wights prosthetics), and one for cinematography(or something related).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardhome

See list of nominalisations and the awards they got for that episode alone(3 Emmys if I'm not mistaken).

As I said earlier, they noticed they get a lot more awards on the production side of things, rather than on acting and story, so they decided to double down on the first in the detriment of the other. 

Looking back at this episode [and season(s?)] I don't understand why they killed off Viserys.

1) None of Dany's inner circle meant anything. At all. So far the most important one seems to be Jorah and he's ripping off JonCon's thing.

2) She has essentially played an inferior version of him since the last two-ish seasons started, this episode really just served to highlight it with her somehow managing to be even more useless than he was before getting his golden crown.

3) Harry Lloyd is a better actor than Clarke. This really should be higher, but I wanted some story points first. Seriously, put him a dress and he'd do a better job all around, immersion be damned 'cause D&D obviously don't give a shyte about that stuff. 

4) Viserys at least would have used the gosh darn dragons like a gosh darn boss. Instead of failing horribly at how to train your flying-puppy.

5) Seriously... I look at the Daenarys and can't help but think of a chick whose either too gosh darned scared of her own dog to do anything with it and/or too incompetent train it properly. And given the dragon's have so far basically acted like the aforementioned flying-puppies, how the hell am I suppose to take the "Mother of Dragons" seriously? Especially when the magical midget figured it out in less than a minute -_-

1 hour ago, Drasanil said:

Looking back at this episode [and season(s?)] I don't understand why they killed off Viserys.

1) None of Dany's inner circle meant anything. At all. So far the most important one seems to be Jorah and he's ripping off JonCon's thing.

2) She has essentially played an inferior version of him since the last two-ish seasons started, this episode really just served to highlight it with her somehow managing to be even more useless than he was before getting his golden crown.

3) Harry Lloyd is a better actor than Clarke. This really should be higher, but I wanted some story points first. Seriously, put him a dress and he'd do a better job all around, immersion be damned 'cause D&D obviously don't give a shyte about that stuff. 

4) Viserys at least would have used the gosh darn dragons like a gosh darn boss. Instead of failing horribly at how to train your flying-puppy.

5) Seriously... I look at the Daenarys and can't help but think of a chick whose either too gosh darned scared of her own dog to do anything with it and/or too incompetent train it properly. And given the dragon's have so far basically acted like the aforementioned flying-puppies, how the hell am I suppose to take the "Mother of Dragons" seriously? Especially when the magical midget figured it out in less than a minute -_-

Come to think about it your right, in every single point, Dany this season is just boring and uninspiring and she deals with the Crones by shouting stupid shit like"I will have your heads" , bloody terrible, stupid, stupid dialogue, it is so damn depressing, bring back Viserys D$D, that would be so SHOCkING!

On 9 May 2016 at 4:44 PM, Jaime's_Sword_Hand said:

I'm thinking the Umbers are in fact siding with Ramsay. For one, the show does not develop mystery or deception well. They have always been more about just getting the information out there so as not to confuse the audience, and this applies now more than ever since the show is headed toward an ending. Second, it's only episode 3; they are not done showing the audience just how evil Ramsay is. Feeding Walda to the dogs in episode 2 was just the start. Their hope is to create a fervor of hatred in the audience toward Ramsay akin to the frothing hatred they held for Joffrey, and for most of their audience (non-book readers and show-apologists), it has been a success.

I thought the Tyrion scene was just a waste of time. They couldn't think of anything to write so just had him babble. I can't help but wonder how much more interesting scenes like that would have been if they had kept Ser Barristan around. Oh well, I'm sure Peter will win another Emmy for that scene.

I had mixed feelings regarding the TOJ scene. There are a lot of things wrong with it (has anyone mentioned Ned's accent?); No Gerold Hightower, no Bat Sigil for Ser Oswell, Ser Arthur dual wielding and no mention of Dawn are all issues off the top of my head. That being said I guess it wasn't completely butchered. It was pretty well done, especially when Dayne went 4 vs 1 and kicked ass, but I didn't feel much of a thrill from the fight, I guess partly because in the show I don't have the same level of attachment to the characters. I was hoping to get the same feeling I got from, say, Spartacus Season 1 Episode 12 when Spartacus fights Glaber's soldiers as a demonstration (I could not find a suitable clip of that scene to link here but it is amazing. RIP Andy Whitfield.)

I'm glad Olly is dead but man, that kid was a hardass, huh? First he kills Jon's girlfriend, then he kills Jon, and when he's faced with his own death, a noose tied around his neck, he stares at Jon with ferocious intensity. He didn't seem surprised to see Jon at all; he stared at Jon the way that I imagine Robert stared at Rhaegar on the Trident. Kind of a waste of an opportunity there with Olly; I agree with an above poster that it was a good chance for the writers to humanize him a bit but they chose for him to go out as a hardass. Hard to feel sorry for the little potato head..

Yes, that Spartacus scene where he dispatches all Of Glabers men with ease was brilliantly done and gave me goosebumps! I wish GoT could hit these heights but it never does anymore. Neds fight with Jaime in season one was really good, but that was long ago.

6 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Yes, that Spartacus scene where he dispatches all Of Glabers men with ease was brilliantly done and gave me goosebumps! I wish GoT could hit these heights but it never does anymore. Neds fight with Jaime in season one was really good, but that was long ago.

Spartacus is full of great sword fights, especially in Gods of the Arena
Funny because GOT has a larger budget but minus the TOJ fight (I won't even get into the outfits), pretty much all of them were weak. Bronn and Jaime in Dorne was particularly embarrassing

On 5/13/2016 at 8:04 AM, Cas Stark said:

But why not show them arriving at Oldtown?  We learned nothing from the boat scene except Sam vomits and Gilly is getting subtle, and the show finally aged up her 4 year old to a slightly older baby.  It was a complete waste of time.

It would have been a decent scene a season ago, but aging the child up yet showing them still on the boat shows a half-assed method of writing that stinks of "creatively it made sense, because we wanted it to happen".  Someone wanted 'Sam puking in a bucket on the boat', but they knew enough time had passed that they had to age the kid a year or so.  Its as if all the time-travelling in the show was being dumped on Sam and Gilly and the boat to Oldtown took a year and a half to get to there.

I absolutely hate how much of this "the only thing that matters plot or logic-wise is what is happening right at the moment the viewers are interacting with the story".  I see it too much in modern fiction, and now its infesting a once great TV show. I find it particularly offensive because it feels not only like the creators aren't trying, but are actively trying to drive down expectations so they have to worry less about crafting a quality narrative.  Instead they can spam quantity at an uncaring but consuming audience.

Chronologically, they should have been in Oldtown half a season ago, Sam should be a few months into his Maester training and hear from the Citadel that Jon is dead.

IF Sam gets off the boat and immediately hears that Jon is dead, he'd impulsively get right back on the boat and head back to the Wall.  If he's in the middle of a semester, then he'll start looking into forging his Valyrian steel chain link.

53 minutes ago, The Knight in Motley said:

Chronologically, they should have been in Oldtown half a season ago, Sam should be a few months into his Maester training and hear from the Citadel that Jon is dead.

Uh, what? They left less than half a season ago.

On 5/9/2016 at 7:44 AM, williamwire said:

I just can't anymore.  I'm done with this garbage show.

HBO actually constructed a storyline where the presumed hero would have to watch a little boy die from hanging that the hero ordered himself.  I was laughing in disgust at it. The little boy (a victim of war crimes where his parents were killed then eaten by the same killers) slowly strangles to death in front of the hero, who had cut the rope to do so.  Jon Snow doesn't even execute them the Stark way.  And HBO just has the boy snarl back at Jon with imminent death about to happen.  They wouldn't even let the boy say his last words, he just snarls.  Imagine, if the little boy had acted realistically and cried and tried to explain himself, then Jon Snow executed him regardless.  HBO couldn't do that of course, so they just had him snarl back in order to confuse the audience about they were actually seeing; Jon Snow was executing a little boy who was a victim of war crimes from the people Jon made friends with.  Then after Jon executed the little boy our hero quits the Night's Watch, which indicates he killed the little boy all just for petty revenge.

Well done HBO.

Nobody just quits the Nights Watch. Its treason. Or is Jon's case different now that his resurrected? Or the show runners again don't bother about details like this and the Starks way of justice and the immorality of killing a child. 

On 5/9/2016 at 7:44 AM, williamwire said:

I just can't anymore.  I'm done with this garbage show.

HBO actually constructed a storyline where the presumed hero would have to watch a little boy die from hanging that the hero ordered himself.  I was laughing in disgust at it. The little boy (a victim of war crimes where his parents were killed then eaten by the same killers) slowly strangles to death in front of the hero, who had cut the rope to do so.  Jon Snow doesn't even execute them the Stark way.  And HBO just has the boy snarl back at Jon with imminent death about to happen.  They wouldn't even let the boy say his last words, he just snarls.  Imagine, if the little boy had acted realistically and cried and tried to explain himself, then Jon Snow executed him regardless.  HBO couldn't do that of course, so they just had him snarl back in order to confuse the audience about they were actually seeing; Jon Snow was executing a little boy who was a victim of war crimes from the people Jon made friends with.  Then after Jon executed the little boy our hero quits the Night's Watch, which indicates he killed the little boy all just for petty revenge.

Well done HBO.

Nobody just quits the Nights Watch. Its treason. Or is Jon's case different now that his resurrected? Or the show runners again don't bother about details like this and the Starks way of justice and the immorality of killing a child. 

On 5/9/2016 at 11:25 AM, Sub_Zero94 said:

Is this type of thing going to happen to Rickon in the book?   Maybe he'll die.  Maybe be betrayed down the road by Lady Dustin , but that couldn't be possible for any time soon.  Would be much later.   Besides, Liam Cunningham mentioned a couple years back that GRRM pulled him aside and shared something with him about what his character is up to and Liam basically said it's really great.  I don't see Rickon dying off like that or being Ramsay's plaything..

Also.   The Umbers betraying the Starks because of something a bastard son of Ned did? (book Umbers marched with Stannis after he let thousands through so wtf ever D&D)    So they hand over the trueborn son of Lord Stark to a Bolton.  Unf&^%%ing believable !

i doubt it. The show is so off track it is not following ASOIF anymore. Davos is not at the wall, his looking for Rickon probably in Skagos. Show runners are writing their own very bad fanfiction

On 5/9/2016 at 3:58 PM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

This show has been reduced to dick jokes and farting.  It's no longer Game of Thrones and is currently an Eddie Murphy stand up from the 80's.  

I can't express my disdain for the writing enough.  

These jackholes have taken this series and completely butchered it.  All they care about are crude jokes, tits, shock, and trying to make the audience like the Lannisters and dislike the Starks.  

Plus Dawn is replaced by 2 swords?  Arthur Danyne is some 80's dude from a ninja movie?  

What the hell is going on with this show?  

And the 3ER has been in the tree for a thousand years?  The math doesn't fit.  Do these guys even give a shit about this series?

George, write the damn book already dude.  

They show complete contempt for the books. By ignoring the available material and writing their own below the belt crappy dialogue they havae completely destroyed a beloved series. The adaptation to screen could have been so so much better if they had some respect for the source material and its author. They are thumping their arrogant noses at GRRM. Its horrific

Archived