Gerold Hightower not missing but inside the tower?

BlackwaterPark

11 hours ago, Nami said:

lol Let that sink in.

Apparently Ned is one of the best swordsman in Westeros huh? He put up quite the challenge for Jaime Lannister and slew the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. What a legend.

He was a great swordsman in the books too. Obviously, not on Barristan/Dayne or even Jaime level, but still a very good one. I think that the same has been shown in the show, with Jaime having the upper hand against him in the fight which never existed, and Dayne completely destroying him.

It is possible that Ned killed Hightower in the books too. I mean, someone had to kill him and Ned was probably the best of those 7 warriors. And well, Hightower was quite old and injured, so killing him doesn't make Ned the best swordsman in Westeros.

Maybe this has already been talked about & if so I apologize but I didn't read all the comments.... Why are they making such a big deal about Howland killing Arthur & not Ned? Ned has said "Dayne would have killed me if it weren't for Howland Reed." He has also admitted Arthur Dayne was the best swordsman he ever knew or ever faced.. something along those lines. It's not as if he went around bragging to all of Westeros that he defeated Dayne in single combat only for Bran to see it was a lie... is it only because Howland stabbed him in the back? (Not that I don't understand the "dishonor"in that I just don't get the feeling that's what the big deal is) 

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Maybe this has already been talked about & if so I apologize but I didn't read all the comments.... Why are they making such a big deal about Howland killing Arthur & not Ned? Ned has said "Dayne would have killed me if it weren't for Howland Reed." He has also admitted Arthur Dayne was the best swordsman he ever knew or ever faced.. something along those lines. It's not as if he went around bragging to all of Westeros that he defeated Dayne in single combat only for Bran to see it was a lie... is it only because Howland stabbed him in the back? (Not that I don't understand the "dishonor"in that I just don't get the feeling that's what the big deal is) 

In the TV show Ned is a purely honorable character, with the exception of fathering a bastard (which no one actually believes). So in the context of the TV show establishing that Ned defeated Arthur with dirty tactics tarnishes his "honor". I think in terms of character development, he was happy to win dishonorably (as was shown by the final swing killing Arthur) because he had more important things to do.

In the context of the books, it's a little more grey. Ned's version of events doesn't say that Arthur was stabbed in the back, which again would show Ned was willing to put aside his "honor" for other reasons. 

This comes back to the question Maester Aemon puts to Jon Snow. "What would your father do when faced with a choice between honor, and love?" (or something like that) and Jon answered that he would do what is right. We saw this when he lied about his treason in order to save his children, he put his love for family above his own personal honor. We are meant to assume he's done the same thing at the ToJ.

4 minutes ago, Tooms said:

In the TV show Ned is a purely honorable character, with the exception of fathering a bastard (which no one actually believes). So in the context of the TV show establishing that Ned defeated Arthur with dirty tactics tarnishes his "honor". I think in terms of character development, he was happy to win dishonorably (as was shown by the final swing killing Arthur) because he had more important things to do.

In the context of the books, it's a little more grey. Ned's version of events doesn't say that Arthur was stabbed in the back, which again would show Ned was willing to put aside his "honor" for other reasons. 

This comes back to the question Maester Aemon puts to Jon Snow. "What would your father do when faced with a choice between honor, and love?" (or something like that) and Jon answered that he would do what is right. We saw this when he lied about his treason in order to save his children, he put his love for family above his own personal honor. We are meant to assume he's done the same thing at the ToJ.

Thanks. That makes sense I just didn't like how it was implied that he lied about what happened. Although I suppose lying by omission is still lying. D&D in the after the show interview say something along the lines of "the whole realm believes Ned Stark killed Arthur Dayne & here Bran is learning it's not true."What you said makes perfect sense but I felt like they were way off base. 

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Thanks. That makes sense I just didn't like how it was implied that he lied about what happened. Although I suppose lying by omission is still lying. D&D in the after the show interview say something along the lines of "the whole realm believes Ned Stark killed Arthur Dayne & here Bran is learning it's not true."What you said makes perfect sense but I felt like they were way off base. 

It's always been a point of discussion as to how Ned beat Dayne. The books go into a lot more detail, but because we're talking about the TV show I think it's fine that D&D keep it simple, black and white if you will. Because in the TV show, what's important is very different to the book. 

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

But Ned does kill Arthur Dayne, Sure it's more of a mercy kill but he still deals the final blow.

I've viewed it as Ned's choosing to take 'credit' for killing Dayne, and not mentioning Reed's act, as an attempt to shield Reed from being seen as dishonorable.  So Ned made sure that part of the story was never explicitly told, and then felt guilt at making himself seem a better fighter than the greatest fighter that ever lived.

1 hour ago, Grayven said:

I've viewed it as Ned's choosing to take 'credit' for killing Dayne, and not mentioning Reed's act, as an attempt to shield Reed from being seen as dishonorable.  So Ned made sure that part of the story was never explicitly told, and then felt guilt at making himself seem a better fighter than the greatest fighter that ever lived.

:agree:

On 11 May 2016 at 2:05 PM, Xcorpyo001 said:

Guys, read the entire thread. The actor playing the second KG said on his Twitter account that he was playing Hightower. Several people mention this in previous posts. He wasn't cut from the show, but by Ned's dagger.(EDIT) I guess you could call that an acknowledgment of sorts.

You completely missed the point I was making...  Typical of this forum.

35 minutes ago, storm.131 said:

You completely missed the point I was making...  Typical of this forum.

Sorry if I singled you out by quoting your post, it was the last one on the page at the time. The guys was meant to make the post a general one. Reading through several pages having several people complaining about the fact that HT is missing, then someone pointing out that the guy next to Dayne was Hightower, then several other comments about the lack of HT, then some else points out HT was in the scene, then people arguing about why the hell they cut HT from the scene. It got a little grating by the end.

And since you started your post with this line:

I don't really care whether Gerold was cut or is lurking in the tower (which I doubt).

I thought you were stil unclear about HT being in the scene or not. My mistake, sorry about that.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:54 AM, Florina Laufeyson said:

I said as much to a friend the other day. Third guy is like to be in the Tower itself. Until proven otherwise, im gonna assume that.

Exactly. These were the Mad King's KG which probably means they were pervs like him. Remember the scream from the Tower? That was the 'other' KG trying to get it in one last time before he is confronted (probably the Old Bull).

Archived