Gerold Hightower not missing but inside the tower?

BlackwaterPark

3 hours ago, Alcarin said:

So in your opinion it doesnt matter if everyone was cut except Ned and lyanna, and well lets also cut Benjen cos he is not important only went missing, and lets also cut, well everyone except anyone who fights the last fight :P

SO unimportant right?

Its funny cos if i remember they have show written that Gerald dies in the TOJ back in season 4 or something? Irony

When has Gerold Hightower been mentioned on the show? Like actually referred to by another character. Who remembers him outside of the book readers?

You're idiotic suggestion that I think everyone except the most principal characters should be cut is as flippant as it is ignorant. The point I'm making is that for TV, scenes have to have a purpose, and shoehorning in fan-service tends to detract from that purpose. Having Gerold Hightower or not having him makes virtually no difference to the scene as a whole (if he's in the next sequence, it might mean another fight scene). What does it matter to ANYONE who he was?

It's different in the book, when he has a clear legacy, and his blind following of the Mad King has implications for the meaning of honour and the idea of knighthood for a number of characters. But the show has never taken the time to address this, so trying to make a character out of the White Bull now is just a waste of screen time.

6 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

When has Gerold Hightower been mentioned on the show? Like actually referred to by another character. Who remembers him outside of the book readers?

You're idiotic suggestion that I think everyone except the most principal characters should be cut is as flippant as it is ignorant. The point I'm making is that for TV, scenes have to have a purpose, and shoehorning in fan-service tends to detract from that purpose. Having Gerold Hightower or not having him makes virtually no difference to the scene as a whole (if he's in the next sequence, it might mean another fight scene). What does it matter to ANYONE who he was?

It's different in the book, when he has a clear legacy, and his blind following of the Mad King has implications for the meaning of honour and the idea of knighthood for a number of characters. But the show has never taken the time to address this, so trying to make a character out of the White Bull now is just a waste of screen time.

This is completely right.  When making a TV show you have to consider such factors as the practicality of filming the scene and paying actors.  Having one more person on each side of that scene would have been more difficult, more expensive, and would serve no purpose other than to keep the most militant internet denizens happy.

4 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

This is completely right.  When making a TV show you have to consider such factors as the practicality of filming the scene and paying actors.  Having one more person on each side of that scene would have been more difficult, more expensive, and would serve no purpose other than to keep the most militant internet denizens happy.

Money better spent on some Meerenese or king's landing whores later on in the season than to try faithfully recreate one of the most iconic scenes from the source material apparently

Just now, Boarsbane said:

Money better spent on some Meerenese or king's landing whores later on in the season than to try faithfully recreate one of the most iconic scenes from the source material apparently

If you think the purpose of the show is to act out the books I just don't know what to tell you.  It's an adaptation.  Streamlining is not only acceptable, it is absolutely necessary.

5 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

If you think the purpose of the show is to act out the books I just don't know what to tell you.  It's an adaptation.  Streamlining is not only acceptable, it is absolutely necessary.

Whent could die almost immediately, they wouldn't need to spend all that much to have added him.  It's not a matter of budget, it's a matter of them simply not giving a fuck

1 hour ago, Mr Smith said:

Actually, in last episode.

Maester Pycelle talks about him when Cersei asks if he conceives to have the lord commander of the KG in the small council.

He says sth like 'Ser Gerold Hightower was in King's Aerys, but he was the Mad King, so...'.

Therefore, he IS mentioned and at the same episode.

But he is not cut off, because he is with Arthur Dayne. He is the blond one.

1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

Whent could die almost immediately, they wouldn't need to spend all that much to have added him.  It's not a matter of budget, it's a matter of them simply not giving a fuck

Hey they do care about having Tyrion making dick jokes and being oh so funny with grey worm and missandei

That's important
Since the writers are on their own now, I have a feeling the boob quota has expanded this time

2 hours ago, Boarsbane said:

Is this comment meant to suggest the writers didn't know how many people were present in the book?  That doesn't make much sense. 

2 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Is this comment meant to suggest the writers didn't know how many people were present in the book?  That doesn't make much sense. 

They know how many, they just don't care that it would be simple to add one more Kingsguard to accurately recreate what happened or even worse it's intentional and it's meant to be a sort of "F you" to the readers who are critical of some of their changes. Making unnecessary changes to show they can.

Where the hell do you get I don't think they know how many KG were there? 

1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

They know how many, they just don't care that it would be simple to add one more Kingsguard to accurately recreate what happened or even worse it's intentional and it's meant to be a sort of "F you" to the readers who are critical of some of their changes. Making unnecessary changes to show they can.

Where the hell do you get I don't think they know how many KG were there? 

So you think D&D are actually out to make YOU, specifically, angry.

Do you have to pay separate rent for your ego?

14 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Eddie Eyre was playing Ser Gerold Hightower. Look at his twitter account. https://twitter.com/eddieeyre?lang=cs

So we got Gerold and Arthur. Maybe Oswell Whent is in the tower guarding Lyanna or got cut.

Ah, so the blond one was Hightower. Why did they decided to make him so young though? I think he was supposed to be quite old, considering that he has been Lord Commander for 20 years or so (since the death of Ser Duncan the Tall).

10 hours ago, naik2902 said:

" Time to go."

- bloodraven

this is like if Neo stay in the matrix world little longer then he will get caught by Agent smith.

Yes!!

Where is the GoT equivalent of Agent Smith? Would it be R'hllor? Maybe the White Walkers? Maybe they 'see' Bran when he sees them... ( Sauron eye of Mordor-like).

17 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

So why was 2 vs 6 important then? If 3 vs 7 was unneeded, why not cut everyone except Arthur vs 4 of them then? Its even cheaper and gets the point across just as well according to your words? Or better yet, ignore it alltogether, cos its history and just have us show the inside tower? Cos I mean Arthur is useless in the show cos his character was never trully developed, just a bit better than some  others.... 

So tell me overall what difference does it make if they would just skip the fight and show inside the tower, it makes no impact showing the fight to Bran. it makes virtually no difference (your words) by skipping it alltogether then right? What has the story gain by showing that Arthur Dayne is legendary fighter? Nothing really. It also added nothing because well Ned is freaking DEAD... because in books the dreams are happening when he is alive, not 5 seasons (books) later. 

Emmm I thought show addressed the knighthood perfectly well with Net explicitly mentioning that Jaimies sense of knighthood and honor is a mockery to knights etc... 

That was Gerold Hightower?
What the fuck? so Arthur Dayne acted more like Lord Commander than the actual Commander there?
He looked too young and kinda insecure to be honest to be playing someone of such rank.

11 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

So you think D&D are actually out to make YOU, specifically, angry.

Do you have to pay separate rent for your ego?

Yes because I clearly was referring specifically to myself and no one else when I said book readers critical of some of their changes...

Archived