Dayne dual wielding

16 minutes ago, Noveson said:

You realize he had Dawn right?  You guys will complain about anything.  They literally show him stick it in the ground with a clear picture of the sun on the pommel. Also you will realize when Ned grabbed it he used two hands, not quite a two handed greatsword but it was still a decent size. 

Obviously the show would have been better if they had all stopped for a chat about Dawn. Or if Bran and Bloodraven had discussed it like two sports announcers:

Bran: is that really Dawn? 

BR: it is indeed. As you may know, Dawn is the ancestral sword of house Dayne, reputed  to have been forged from a fallen star. Dawn is awarded to worthy Dayne Knights named Swird of the Morning. 

Bran: what's my dad fighting with?

BR: I'm glad you asked. Of course one might expect Ned to fight with his ancestral blade, Ice. But please note that the Ice in current possession of house Stark is not the original one. In any case, Ned isn't fighting with Ice number two because that sword serves more ceremonial purposes and it is too big for an average sized and skilled swordsman like Ned to wield effectively in combat. Instead, Ned has chosen for this particular battle a 3 kg castle forged bastard blade made for him by Donal Noye as a gift from Ned's friend, Robert Baratheon.  

5 minutes ago, The Northern Scholar said:

Eh. The dual sword bit was super cheesy and confirmed my suspicions that D&D would completely miss the point of the scene.

I'll probably regret asking, but what was the point of the scene that they completely missed?

48 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Obviously the show would have been better if they had all stopped for a chat about Dawn. Or if Bran and Bloodraven had discussed it like two sports announcers:

BR: it is indeed. As you may know, Dawn is the ancestral sword of house Dayne, reputed  to have been forged from a fallen star. Dawn is awarded to worthy Dayne Knights named Swird of the Morning. 

BR: I'm glad you asked. Of course one might expect Ned to fight with his ancestral blade, Ice. But please note that the Ice in current possession of house Stark is not the original one. In any case, Ned isn't fighting with Ice number two because that sword serves more ceremonial purposes and it is too big for an average sized and skilled swordsman like Ned to wield effectively in combat. Instead, Ned has chosen for this particular battle a 3 kg castle forged bastard blade made for him by Donal Noye as a gift from Ned's friend, Robert Baratheon.  

That would still be better than some other scenes from this show, like Tyrion/Missandei/Grey Worm in this very episode ;)

1 minute ago, Maester Murks said:

That would still be better than some other scenes from this show, like Tyrion/Missandei/Grey Worm in this very episode ;)

It was a call-back to the drinking game between Tyrion, Shae and Bronn. I loved that. Don't get the hate. :(

1 minute ago, Greg B said:

It was a call-back to the drinking game between Tyrion, Shae and Bronn. I loved that. Don't get the hate. :(

I get that it was a call-back. But the scene went on for over two minutes without any meaningful dialogue whatsoever... Is that good television for you? No offense, I'm actually asking honestly. Doesn't really belong in this thread though..

2 minutes ago, Maester Murks said:

I get that it was a call-back. But the scene went on for over two minutes without any meaningful dialogue whatsoever... Is that good television for you? No offense, I'm actually asking honestly. Doesn't really belong in this thread though..

That scene was just to feed some witty Tyrion to the masses
Doesn't need to have meaning, just show how awesome he is.

I'm actually hating Tyrion because of this show

3 minutes ago, Maester Murks said:

I think it was good character development, and a subtle reminder of how much Tyrion has lost and how far from home he is. I'm very happy to spend two minutes on that, especially when it's leavened with humor (Frowns. "Maybe we can't play it without drinking.") In general, I found this two minutes much better spent than the hundreds of pages in Dance spent with Penny and the abiding question of where whores go.

1 hour ago, Nami said:

The promise me part was cringe worthy

I doubt Ned just entered the room and Lyanna immediately said "promise me Ned" while showing off her baby

That's fair, but it's also the only dialogue we know of from Lyanna. I guess they just didn't want to add anything. Besides, she was a dying woman, perhaps delirious from the pain of having just given birth. It's possible that was all she could muster.

20 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I think it was good character development, and a subtle reminder of how much Tyrion has lost and how far from home he is. I'm very happy to spend two minutes on that, especially when it's leavened with humor (Frowns. "Maybe we can't play it without drinking.") In general, I found this two minutes much better spent than the hundreds of pages in Dance spent with Penny and the abiding question of where whores go.

Well, I'm kind of glad that you liked it. But I'm also kind of bored right know, so I checked: All of Tyrions chapters in ADWD take up 169 pages (based on UK hardcover). The chapters with penny take up 90 of those pages. The phrase "where do whores go" appears four times, the phrase "where whores go" appears nine times and "wherever whores go" appears eight times. That is a lot, I agree. I personally liked a lot of his journey in Dance, though. Some very atmospheric world building, especially the about the Sorrows and the Rhoyne

But my point is: saying Tyrions story in the book was bad doesn't improve the (imho) rather poor scene in question.  But here we can agree to disagree, as I said, glad at least someone got some enjoyment from it ;)

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

I'll probably regret asking, but what was the point of the scene that they completely missed?

The point is that some people are upset that they're losing their ability to wield the books as leverage against people who haven't read them, and it makes them prone to grumpiness.  So whenever they see something that diverges from the books, they cling to it because it's the last way in which they can make themselves feel superior to others. 

1 hour ago, Forlong the Fat said:

There's no need. By the show rights, Dawn isn't important.

14 minutes ago, chambraigne said:

All these people talking about "realistic" dual-wielding and 4-on-1 sword fights who have never been in or seen a sword fight that wasn't cinematic. 

While all the other people are time travelling knights from medieval times a.k.a. sword fight experts, I assume.

9 minutes ago, chambraigne said:

The point is that some people are upset that they're losing their ability to wield the books as leverage against people who haven't read them, and it makes them prone to grumpiness.  So whenever they see something that diverges from the books, they cling to it because it's the last way in which they can make themselves feel superior to others. 

I think its more were not getting to read the material we want (ie the books) indefinitely and have had to wait 5 years (sometimes) longer for an adaption of the material that we find to be inadequate which can lead to grumpiness. Not a superiority complex

12 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

There's no need. By the show rights, Dawn isn't important.

It's not really important in the books either. It's kind of a big deal for its bearer and it surely is famous. But so far it hasn't proven to be important in any way.

4 minutes ago, Maester Murks said:

It's not really important in the books either. It's kind of a big deal for its bearer and it surely is famous. But so far it hasn't proven to be important in any way.

I don't care much for Dawn. Yeah it has an interesting background, but what importance does it bring? Especially since Dawn was given to Ashara, who knows what happened to that sword. I doubt Dawn has some magical power regardless of its origin.

2 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have, probably because I was imagining BR delivering the lines in John Madden's voice.

Archived